Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
there seem to be some that think by having Fabian as manager we are doing the same to St Paulie as Chelsea did to us, but the situation is entirely different. People seem to forget that in order to have anyone sign for the club, they have to leave somewhere else first, other than those rare occasions when top managers or players are unemployed. (De Zerbie for example)
Chelsea came in and took our manager 5 (?) games into the season, potentially leaving us well anbd truly up the creek. with no time to look for let alone put in place a new cooaching structure. Chelsea also took long established coaching and other staff not just those that normally move with a manager (assistant,and a couple of others)
The situation with St Paulie is fundamentally different, as it would have been with Ipswich. Its at the end of the season, well before pre season starts, We are not taking the whole footballing structure as chelsea tried.

St Paulie fans will be rightly upset and disapointed but possibly not that surprised at loosing their manager to a percieved that a "bigger" club which is very understandable but in no way compares to the chelsea raid on us
St PAULI :wozza:

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
@holybanjo 11 posts on the same thread in 40 odd minutes. Why?
Yes, we've covered that. It was one match in a cup competition, not extensive experience which would automatically gain the respect of players.
Who knows? And who cares? The fact is Hürzeler, as good a fit as he seems on paper, has not played Man City or Arsenal or even Stoke City away.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
My only slight tactical concern from what I’ve read so far is re mitoma.

From what I’ve read seems he makes use of more “inside forwards” than conventional wingers. I could see this working a treat for Enciso, Facundo, Pedro and Adringa (plus Osman) but does that mean it’s Karou vs Pervis and Colo for the lwb?

He’s noted for pragmatism and getting the most out of the players at his disposal. I’m comfortable that he’ll find a way of getting the best out of whoever we’ve got from one season to the next.

It sounds as though we may need to forget about some of our preconceptions around who does what in each position though, it frankly sounds like a free for all in terms of not having personnel fixed in their roles.

Expect to see players (during a match) in unfamiliar positions and highly fluid formations.

I don’t get to many matches in the flesh, but I’m fully expecting to hear “what’s he doing? WHAT’S HE DOING?” from my fellow supporters at the matches I can attend.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
St Pauli message board (view in chrome for auto translate)

Some interesting stuff.....

- his backroom staff is almost agreed

-they think they will get in the region of 10m compensation (no chance)

- slightly worrying similarities to RDZ's steely determination to get right to the very top. His contract negotiations went on for months with pauli. So expect all the Brighton for life chat when he joins but at the first sniff of Chelsea or Bayern interest his knickers will well and truly drop fast. Which is acceptable as long as he doesn't give up mid season !

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Slightly off topic, but how do you guys get the umlaut on Windows?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Cue Hurzeler to suddenly do a McKenna? :wink:
There will be some waiting for him to turn up at Lancing etc and only then believing it but this sounds done (the club and Hurzeler have agreed - we never got that far with McKenna at all) . . PS: as for a new contract changing his mind. Well he signed a new contract with St Pauli a couple of months ago. He's coming.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To add a soupçon more Albion interest to this diacritics discussion, the wiki page on umlauts etc references our very own Pascal Groß when mentioning the German letter ß.
Davy Pröpper had an umlaut but everyone ignored it.

Trying to find some negative St Pauli fan critiques which is obviously tough given their dream season and this was the best I could find, similar to some of the anti RDZ flak:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing - I think he would have been like kompany and stuck with style of play and not adapt to situations - this was evident at the evlsberg game we were playing high line and they long balled it every opportunity and he never changed it at all. Plus he leaves us as a legend if he stays and we struggled he’d be gone by by November let him go on a high and we ll get good compensation as he just resigned his contract

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He’s noted for pragmatism and getting the most out of the players at his disposal. I’m comfortable that he’ll find a way of getting the best out of whoever we’ve got from one season to the next.

It sounds as though we may need to forget about some of our preconceptions around who does what in each position though, it frankly sounds like a free for all in terms of not having personnel fixed in their roles.

Expect to see players (during a match) in unfamiliar positions and highly fluid formations.

I don’t get to many matches in the flesh, but I’m fully expecting to hear “what’s he doing? WHAT’S HE DOING?” from my fellow supporters at the matches I can attend.
TBF potter is the king of fluidity, so we've seen this before. But at least the German is not as dour and has some fire in his belly. So on first glance he seems to be a good mix of RDZ and potter.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Funny old game isn't it?

Gone from the return of the miserable old ex who left with all the jewels and rapidly found that the grass wasn't greener. To the boring Plain Jane (Cooper) who was as exciting as a week old BLT.

To then pull the hottest, sexiest new chick on the block.

Football is all about passion and emotions as players, managers and fans. I can already see that he's going to be another RDZ and another crowd favourite.

God I love this club. None of that boring shite for us.
As long as the hottest, sexiest new chick on the block doesn't turn out to be underage ???
Hürzeler is younger than Dunk!
He's younger than anybody older than him too:moo:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
St Pauli message board (view in chrome for auto translate)

Some interesting stuff.....

- his backroom staff is almost agreed

-they think they will get in the region of 10m compensation (no chance)

- slightly worrying similarities to RDZ's steely determination to get right to the very top. His contract negotiations went on for months with pauli. So expect all the Brighton for life chat when he joins but at the first sniff of Chelsea or Bayern interest his knickers will well and truly drop fast. Which is acceptable as long as he doesn't give up mid season !

Great reading dwayne (y)

However we may need some help from a multi lingual NSCer as well as chrome's auto translate

"If Hürzeler wants to have a long-term career, he will know that he can't play the offended liver sausage here" :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here