Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was very excited, but those tattoos are giving me second thoughts now... 🤔
I guess that St Pauli might have the 'Nobody gets in this band without a tattoo' policy that I remember Angry Anderson stating in a Kerrang interview in the early eighties. As a teenager I thought that sounded dead hard. A few years later, after I'd moved on to the NME, he got to number one with the theme to Scott & Charlene's wedding.

1717774436721.png

Made a couple of decent albums Rose Tattoo, if you like AC/DC influenced boogie rock.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You don’t think it’s nice for the fans to know? Says to me, if the Club has got it’s first choice over line, that not only do we have pulling power as a destination Club to attract some of the best young managers and players in football but we also have two incredible and very clever negotiators in PB/TB.🙂
Nah, as long as we get the right person I really don't care personally. Fine to disagree.

We know we have pulling power and we know how good TB and PB are. Whether we get the first or third person we interviewed doesn't change this for me.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We are usually behind the curve with our decoy “lists” - when his name popped out of the blue yesterday, it was a shock to everyone - but that gave gravitas to the idea it could be the one when I found out he came over in January. Informal words would have been spoken then I’m sure. There are strong Potter and De Zerbi connections - we’ve watched our loan players over the years at SP so it all fits

We have submitted a request for “discussions”

I’m willing to nail my flag to the mast and bet Fabian Hurzeler will be our next Head Coach 😎

coming back to the mother ship!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Nah, as long as we get the right person I really don't care personally. Fine to disagree.

We know we have pulling power and we know how good TB and PB are. Whether we get the first or third person we interviewed doesn't change this for me.
Yes. They've always made it clear that the succession planning has to have lots of different possibilities for each role as circumstances will always impact upon each option's availability at the moment the need arises. We might have got McKenna had Leeds not ended the season so poorly, we might not have needed him had Putin not invaded Ukraine. There are far too many variables to get hung up on who, in the perfect circumstances, would be the perfect choice.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Anyone know anything more about this "interning" at the club?
Yeah, that got me too. What? Translation error perhaps?
I think another of the (many) potential candidates mentioned had done similar (Drapić?).

I think it's just that other managers & coaches visit Lancing to see how we do things. They'll have a tour of the facilities, observe sessions, chat to staff etc for a bit of knowledge sharing.
I have no idea how often it happens, but I love that coaches from other countries who want to learn from the best see Brighton as a stop on their learning journey.

Maybe it's all part of TB & PB's master plan - helping put the club at an advantage because some of the up-and-coming coaches on 'The List' have already been impressed by the facilities, players, staff... it must be great PR within the wider football industry, if nothing else.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fair enough - I just want the best candidate in the bunch for the job as we all do - I was assuming that the best candidate would be the Club’s first choice not it 3rd choice 🤷‍♂️ But who knows - maybe the “best” is performative anyway - there’s no guarantees that our top target will cope/fit in/work well with TB/PB once on the job.
The club has no control over any of their choices not wanting to come for a myriad of reasons or an incumbent club refusing permission to talk.

They may well have a numbered list, we cannot just arrest our first choice and force them to come, nice as that may be!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
absolutely ridiculous!! i am fuming. i’ve spent all that time building up the energy to BOOOOOO Potter on his first home game back, and they’ve only gone and probably hired someone totally different! complete waste of my time! BARBER OUT!

p.s does anyone know what to do if you’ve already torn your season ticket up in anticipation of GP returning??

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yes. They've always made it clear that the succession planning has to have lots of different possibilities for each role as circumstances will always impact upon each option's availability at the moment the need arises. We might have got McKenna had Leeds not ended the season so poorly, we might not have needed him had Putin not invaded Ukraine. There are far too many variables to get hung up on who, in the perfect circumstances, would be the perfect choice.
You think McKenna would have been a better choice than Hurzeler?

Of course there are a ‘lot of possibilities’ - no good have a “succession plan” with just one name on it but there will be preferred possibilities within that. No one target is going to tick all the boxes but some will tick more than others.

Anyway - it doesn’t matter. FH would be a very exciting prospect and would improve our game whether he’s 1st, 12th or 1,234th! 😎

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

Of course there are a ‘lot of possibilities’ - no good have a “succession plan” with just one name on it but there will be preferred possibilities within that. No one target is going to tick all the boxes but some will tick more than others.
My two pennies worth on this (and I very clearly know nothing at all). I agree with you that McKenna was our first choice. I believe we thought he'd come but, for whatever reason, it didn't work out. I reckon Hurzeler was also on the succession planning list but perhaps further down the road - dream scenario being McKenna comes now, succeeds with us for 3 years, we lose him to one of the big boys and we then get Hurzeler in... This has just brought things forward.

As I say, haven't got a clue but it makes sense in my tiny mind...

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

McKenna would have been a complete flight risk. Had he done well in the first 6months Man U would have come calling. He has the pedigree to a certain extent.

Fabian is less so but if he does well he will be more of a watching brief for 12-18 months.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've no idea. I'm just some bloke. I haven't watched much of the Championship and I'd never heard of Hurzeler until you started this thread. I'll leave those calls to those who seem to have made them quite well in the past. If an issue in one of my areas of expertise* comes up, I'll guess they'll call me. My post was just saying that Barber has always stressed that the list of possible replacements cannot be too linear.

* - Pop trivia but only from before this millenium, comedy history, long winded arguments based on my confirmation biases being supported by cherry picked statistics and, most of all, techniques for ensuring that our sofa never rises up off the floor. - I'm your man.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
McKenna would have been a complete flight risk. Had he done well in the first 6months Man U would have come calling. He has the pedigree to a certain extent.

Fabian is less so but if he does well he will be more of a watching brief for 12-18 months.
Problem is of course whoever we get, if they do really well then they will be in demand. If they do rubbish no one wants them. If the Palace fella gets them top 6 this season the big clubs will be all over him. Same with our players - the better they are the harder they are to keep. C'est la vie.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Fair enough - I just want the best candidate in the bunch for the job as we all do - I was assuming that the best candidate would be the Club’s first choice not it 3rd choice 🤷‍♂️ But who knows - maybe the “best” is performative anyway - there’s no guarantees that our top target will cope/fit in/work well with TB/PB once on the job.
Isn't that why they are are interviewed?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yup.

The data in this table will have been fed into Tony's algorithm, that's for sure:

View attachment 183625

EDIT: Sauce = https://footystats.org/germany/2-bundesliga/salaries
Wow. If he’s won the league with that, I understand why we’d be interested. For all that we pontificate about managers, tactics etc, the wage bill pretty much dictates league positions usually. I do a predictions league with 20 others for the PL where you predict the final table. This year I just found the average wage table and submitted that, with the promoted teams as the bottom 3. I won.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Problem is of course whoever we get, if they do really well then they will be in demand. If they do rubbish no one wants them. If the Palace fella gets them top 6 this season the big clubs will be all over him. Same with our players - the better they are the harder they are to keep. C'est la vie.
Maybe Chelsea will hire and fire them all eventually just to stop other clubs having them. Seems to be there recruitment policy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here