Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
The appointment of Potter would have been for the same reasons as any potential Hurzeler appointment- style of play, fit with the club, ability to develop young players etc.
I was arguing that he had more experience than either Hurzeler or Rydstrom when he was appointed. The performances against Arsenal and Man City were flashpoints that's all.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
I was arguing that he had more experience than either Hurzeler or Rydstrom when he was appointed. The performances against Arsenal and Man City were flashpoints that's all.
Fair argument. Feels like similar backstories, young hungry to learn coaches who have cut their teeth through various levels rather than coming straight from the big leagues. Probably more similar than anything which would explain the interest

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So more experience than Hurzeler or Rydstrom then. Gotcha. And that was before he came to Brighton.
And yet here you were a year ago accurately predicting that RDZ would leave and suggesting, not Potter but 'someone without a big profile'. :shrug:

I know I’ll probably get criticised for the timing of this but it doesn’t really matter. The reality is that whilst De Zerbi has committed his future at the club and we all want him to stay as long as possible, there is no guarantee that next season we qualify for Europe again and in that scenario it would seem likely that RDZ moves on. I’m sure the club have already got a shortlist for their next manager based on a variety of scenarios. The most likely is that we get to the knockout rounds and maintain our top 10 status. This all depends on recruitment and injuries of course.

One candidate who has emerged recently and has spoken in glowing terms about RDZ is Liam Rosenior at Hull. Now we all know that Hull have hardly set the Championship alight this season but next season they are a team to watch under him.

I think a De Zerbi disciple with links to the club and someone without a big profile is a very Brighton kind of appointment in the future. He seems to be very intelligent in the way that he talks about what RDZ has done I have no doubt that with these comments he has put himself in that shop window with this future in mind!

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
It's amazing that between an inexperienced 31-year old coach (who has less experience than GP when he was appointed) and an infinitely more experienced GP now, fans will opt for the former out of pride even if it's a massive gamble. Nice one lads!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yep- Hürzeler came over in January to ‘study’ our football - watched 2 Brighton games including Spurs and named Pep, Arteta and De Zerbi as his main inspirations - except he plays his own style ( not imitating)

Last edited:

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
And yet here you were a year ago accurately predicting that RDZ would leave and suggesting, not Potter but 'someone without a big profile'. :shrug:
Wow, you had to look that one up too!

Rosenior has infinitely more experience of English football than Hurzeler or Rydstrom. But if it would make you happier, since he's been sacked by Hull, no, I don't think he'd be a good candidate.

Any appointment from the list of candidates is in truth, a backwards step from De Zerbi and Potter (including Potter himself). So we're now in a position of picking the least worse option.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's amazing that between an inexperienced 31-year old coach (who has less experience than GP when he was appointed) and an infinitely more experienced GP now, fans will opt for the former out of pride even if it's a massive gamble. Nice one lads!
Because a) never go back b) never go back when you left under the circumstances GP did and c) this would be an exciting appointment that could be amazing or an absolute disaster which is WAY more fun.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Hurzeler came over to study our football - watched 2 Brighton games including Spurs and named Pep, Arteta and De Zerbi as his main inspirations - except he plays his own style ( not imitating)
By that logic you might as well give the job to the guy that bought my ST when I listed in the exchange last season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its exciting unknown foreign manager with a funky name time! Someone above said hes the German Steve Cooper - but with a fraction of the experience of Cooper - but everyone is way more excited about this guy! Logic and reason be damned!

I guess the thing with unknowns is that there's always the slight possibility we could be unearthing the next Guardiola, whereas we know that Cooper and Potter don't have that ceiling - and English managers just aren't as exciting full stop. But of course the risk is huge too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here