Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milk

Jun 11, 2024
Are you our new Swanny? :) Fine for people from other clubs to chime in, we even allow Palace fans as we're nice. You're definitely fine as it appears you're not a supporter of a club we're in competition with. There are 93 pages on this thread, I don't bother to read the threads about who may/may not be joining us, until they've joined. 93 pages seems like it has a lot of traction, so would you be so kind as to give me info?
I so far know he's 31, I can't pronounce his surname & that he was born in the US. De Zerbi didn't speak English, does Fabian (notice I've avoided trying to spell his surname)? As far as I know, he ticks the major box for our managers because most of us in Brighton had never heard of him until a couple of weeks ago, & I know nothing else. Would you be so kind to summarise his style for me please as you're a St Pauli fan and have seen him. Will he run up the touchline when we score a goal or will it be a reserved celebration? ;)

I’ll have to leave the technical details to others since I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination but in broad strokes:

Hürzeler has brought up de Zerbi more than once when asked about his role models in coaching and our style of play under him was commonly compared to Leverkusen, Stuttgart and Brighton in German football media.

Timo Schultz, his predecessor at St. Pauli, played a system that wasn’t all that different but Hürzeler managed to add an impressive defensive stability to it. When he took over we were just above the relegation line just for him to win his first ten games in a row and end the season just shy of promotion.

This season we picked up right were we left of and for a good stretch of it outright dominated the competition. Other managers are slowly adapting to this style of play (an experience you made this season too I think?) but what excited me the most watching our games was that not always but very often when a game didn’t go our way in the first half Hürzeler would make one or two small adjustments and it felt like it was a different team on the pitch. He seems insanely good at reading a game.

As for his character, he’s not a Klopp, you’re not gonna see any YouTube compilations of funny shit he said any time soon I’m fairly certain. He can come across as a bit reserved and awkward but at his age who is gonna blame him. As for his behaviour during games let's just say he got more yellows this season (7 iirc) than most of our players. Do with that info what you will but personally I mostly blame the refs 😁

He is an incredible communicator internally though. We had so many players sing his praises because he knows exactly how to talk to different kinds of people to push them to their limits and beyond. He can improve veteran players just as well as he can integrate young talent.

Between his favoured style of play and him absolutely living and breathing football every minute of the day Brighton seems just about the perfect place for him. He would probably marry Starlizard if he could so it’s no surprise he wants this job badly.

Of course it’s frustrating to see him go because he was likely the smartest manager our club has ever seen but we knew the day would come rather sooner than later, we were all just hoping we’d at least get one year of Bundesliga with him.

There’s no way of telling how he’ll fare with you seeing how young he is and the PL certainly is a different beast than Bundesliga 2 but on paper I don’t think you could find a better match for your club and he definitely has the drive and ambition to make it work.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Whilst I take your point (and I'm not suggesting whoever created the new BHAFC Charity twitter account is actually on a scam), they have used the club logo (presumably without permission of the club) and use "BHAFC" without even any mention of it being a fans account. It could certainly be intrepreted as being linked to the club:-

View attachment 183943

What an earth does "this years BHAFC Charity match" mean, anyway? Let's be honest, this is nothing more than a kickabout between two fans groups - at least the St Pauli account is absolutely clear and open about what it represents.

I think this twitter account is disingenuous.

In which case, they've made a very bad attempt at making that clear in their twitter header. Zero mention of it being a supporters group, using official club logos (presumably without permission), and even implying this is (or will be) a regular event.

Thank you for the back up!! (y) He isn't actually officially our coach yet and the X page was set up the day after or before this thread. Twitter is full of scammers & this isn't a REMF situation. 🤷‍♀️
I'm shutting up now & will stick to Fabian discussions!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think that's a scam & b**locks. PBOBE might have a lot to say about them using the BHAFC tag with 'charity' added onto the end.
What was 'Albion in the Community' is now the 'Brighton and Hove Albion Foundation' https://bhafcfoundation.org.uk/
There is no such thing as #BHAFCcharity, they're scammers. :(
Don’t worry it’s a load of kids playing, nothing malicious, just a bit of fun.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It doesn’t happen as much now but I used to love it when people would come on to NSC and start a new thread announcing a signing that had been officially announced 6 hours earlier or something. Just in case every single Brighton fan on NSC had somehow missed it for hours on end. When in reality, a thread had been created within 2 minutes.

This video has brought those memories back for me. It gets funnier every single time I see it posted.

I would put money on at least one person seeing the video on NSC, forgetting they saw it on NSC & then earnestly sharing it on NSC. I hope I see it another 20 times.
I think the first ever thread I started on here, I did this exact thing for when Vicente signed a new deal. Got so much pelters for it, think it scared me off posting on here for about 2 years.

EDIT: Yes it was.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It doesn’t happen as much now but I used to love it when people would come on to NSC and start a new thread announcing a signing that had been officially announced 6 hours earlier or something. Just in case every single Brighton fan on NSC had somehow missed it for hours on end. When in reality, a thread had been created within 2 minutes.

This video has brought those memories back for me. It gets funnier every single time I see it posted.

I would put money on at least one person seeing the video on NSC, forgetting they saw it on NSC & then earnestly sharing it on NSC. I hope I see it another 20 times.
It still happens.

And it's sometimes me.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
I’ll have to leave the technical details to others since I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination but in broad strokes:

Hürzeler has brought up de Zerbi more than once when asked about his role models in coaching and our style of play under him was commonly compared to Leverkusen, Stuttgart and Brighton in German football media.

Timo Schultz, his predecessor at St. Pauli, played a system that wasn’t all that different but Hürzeler managed to add an impressive defensive stability to it. When he took over we were just above the relegation line just for him to win his first ten games in a row and end the season just shy of promotion.

This season we picked up right were we left of and for a good stretch of it outright dominated the competition. Other managers are slowly adapting to this style of play (an experience you made this season too I think?) but what excited me the most watching our games was that not always but very often when a game didn’t go our way in the first half Hürzeler would make one or two small adjustments and it felt like it was a different team on the pitch. He seems insanely good at reading a game.

As for his character, he’s not a Klopp, you’re not gonna see any YouTube compilations of funny shit he said any time soon I’m fairly certain. He can come across as a bit reserved and awkward but at his age who is gonna blame him. As for his behaviour during games let's just say he got more yellows this season (7 iirc) than most of our players. Do with that info what you will but personally I mostly blame the refs 😁

He is an incredible communicator internally though. We had so many players sing his praises because he knows exactly how to talk to different kinds of people to push them to their limits and beyond. He can improve veteran players just as well as he can integrate young talent.

Between his favoured style of play and him absolutely living and breathing football every minute of the day Brighton seems just about the perfect place for him. He would probably marry Starlizard if he could so it’s no surprise he wants this job badly.

Of course it’s frustrating to see him go because he was likely the smartest manager our club has ever seen but we knew the day would come rather sooner than later, we were all just hoping we’d at least get one year of Bundesliga with him.

There’s no way of telling how he’ll fare with you seeing how young he is and the PL certainly is a different beast than Bundesliga 2 but on paper I don’t think you could find a better match for your club and he definitely has the drive and ambition to make it work.
Thank you for that insight. I hope both of our new seasons go well. Enjoy the journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here