Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fa cup......unwanted distraction????

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
We're not Manchester United!

The FA Cup has provided Albion fans with many of their best-ever match experiences.

In the run up to Falmer, a good run, with perhaps a big game in the third or fourth round, will help increase our profile even more and show the rest of the country just how good we are.

I love the FA Cup. It should be treated with the respect it deserves.

Couldn't agree more.

Not only was the FA Cup final itself the most enjoyable and memorable day I've had following the Albion, it was also one of those rare matches that fires the imagination of the young fans who would otherwise end up supporting the so called 'big 4' from their living room.

Up until saturday (when my son had the pleasure of watching the nightmare on London Road) he has said that his three best games were the 8-0 drubbing of Northwich, the victory over City and seeing how well we did at Villa last season. All three were of course cup matches and from his perspective they prove that BHA are a good, exciting club which CAN be competitive against most clubs - so he doesn't need or want to be a plastic Mancarseskipool fan he wants to be a Brighton fan.

The JPT was always good to bring his friends along to and all of them - plastics all - have been back for league matches since so it may be a mickey mouse cup but it gets youngsters in who wouldn't otherwise come.

I know we are out of the JPT but having seen what we have seen in the league we really could have gone one better than two years ago EVEN if we played the reserves in every round. That would have been a great day for everyone and we could have "Gone up and won the cup for Sussex by the Sea".
Shame we won't be allowed to enter it next season.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Ridiculous to want to be knocked out of the FA Cup..........we will play fringe players, a great chance of a BIG game from 3rd round onwards....League Cup and JPT are different beasts in Poyet' eyes i think.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't want us to lose but to be honest I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did. The less games to pick up injuries and suspensions and fatigue the better. Leeds did well in it last year but collapsed in the league after Christmas.

Brezovan

Calderon - Elphick - Dunk - Painter

Bridcutt - Battipiedi - Caskey

Hart - Agdestein - Baz

I'd rather play 23 championship teams next season than 1 big team this season.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
i would be inclined to rest both goal-machine calderon and marvellous marcos for the cup games until rd 3 - they are too valuable and we have little cover.

However, if we get palace away in the third round...

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
I don't want us to lose but to be honest I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did. The less games to pick up injuries and suspensions and fatigue the better. Leeds did well in it last year but collapsed in the league after Christmas.

Brezovan

Calderon - Elphick - Dunk - Painter

Bridcutt - Battipiedi - Caskey

Hart - Agdestein - Baz

I'd rather play 23 championship teams next season than 1 big team this season.

I'd like to see this team

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We're not Manchester United!

The FA Cup has provided Albion fans with many of their best-ever match experiences.

In the run up to Falmer, a good run, with perhaps a big game in the third or fourth round, will help increase our profile even more and show the rest of the country just how good we are.

I love the FA Cup. It should be treated with the respect it deserves.

Is the correct answer :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I want us to get as far as we can, ideally up to something like the 5th round. I don't see why it should have any negative impact on our league form (although a slight dip is a price I'd happily pay), rather I see it as a chance to find out how good we really are.

We need to get through these two 'qualifying rounds' and then hopefully kill a few giants (or at least some tall, obese men).

So is it an 'unwanted distraction'? No. Anything but.

Feb 14, 2010
Not at all. Win every game until early Jan, tie league up early and be the first div 3 side to win it .. watching blackpool. We would beat them, they cant pass it... ;-)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah, let's try to get knocked out, I really HATED those trips to Spurs, West Ham and Villa, they were the low points of the last ten years following the Albion.

Give me a Tuesday night in Walsall to show my superfan credentials :facepalm:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, let's try to get knocked out, I really HATED those trips to Spurs, West Ham and Villa, they were the low points of the last ten years following the Albion.

Exactly. I really cannot understand the mindset of those who think it's more important to beat Exeter on Tuesday than it is to beat Woking on Saturday. I said on the other thread that when we got promoted from this division under Bamber/Mullery (the older version of Bloom/Poyet) the three games that really stuck out were the Cup games against WBA, Ipswich and Derby. I certainly can't remember all the humdrum little league games. I do find this desire for people to flagellate themselves over the FA Cup ("No, no, I want to lose, it's just a distraction!") really odd. And a bit depressing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Exactly. I really cannot understand the mindset of those who think it's more important to beat Exeter on Tuesday than it is to beat Woking on Saturday. I said on the other thread that when we got promoted from this division under Bamber/Mullery (the older version of Bloom/Poyet) the three games that really stuck out were the Cup games against WBA, Ipswich and Derby. I certainly can't remember all the humdrum little league games. I do find this desire for people to flagellate themselves over the FA Cup ("No, no, I want to lose, it's just a distraction!") really odd. And a bit depressing.

:thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

That's a ridiculous post. Someone disagree's so chuck out the pathetic superfan card. No one is saying those were not fantastic days out. I'd love to see how we fare against a side from a higher division.

However, remeber what happend against Northampton, even with a weak team, we lost Navarro for most the season and Sparrow got a 3 match ban. I'd rather not take that risk because however good those games above were, I'd rather be playing Championship football next season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't understand why everyone cites Leeds' form after beating Utd, as a reason to distrust an FA Cup run.

Leeds choked after xmas three years in a row. It had sod all to do with beating United.

Anyway, ultimately Leeds DID go up, AND they have the memories of beating United at OT. Win win.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No i love the FA cup. Everyone had a great day out last year at villa i don't know why we shouldn't aim for at least the third round

This. Get knocked out away from home to a club higher up.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Until January we are the BEST team in the compettiton, Id be very pissed off if we didnt ATLEAST get to the 3rd round!

At the moment we are getting a bit of a reputation for being 'unbeatable' so why on earth would we want to go out and LOOSE, especially to a side like Woking!

Other teams wont look at the players who we used, they will just see that Brighton have lost and they are, infact, beatable!

I say put out the strongest 11 and give it a good go!

Plenty of teams have had good Cup runs and got promotion in the same season!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I say make loads of changes and beat Woking anyway then see what happens with the draw. Usually I want us to take all cups seriously, especially the FA Cup, but this season promotion is a bigger piority then it probably ever has been or maybe ever will be. So I won't be too bothered if we go out in the next round.

The good thing about the Woking draw is we can make changes and still take the match seriously and expect to win it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here