Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fa cup......unwanted distraction????

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Is the fa cup going to be an unwanted distraction??? do you think we should aim to progress??? or give the fringe players a run out??? do we risk first teamers getting injured??? tell me what you think......???

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
see i'm not sure what that would do to the team, should we let the fringe players play it?? and rest first team regulars?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
If we're top and comfortable I don't see why we can't fit in a few cup games. I would also think that the players would love to have a crack at some higher level opposition and show the world what they're capable of.

Of course the downside for us is Gus and the boys being in the shop window....

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
yes happy to have a run - decent 3rd round fixture away to Arsenal. Problem maybe getting midweek replys - that wouldnt be good.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
It's the FA Cup, not a mickey mouse tournament, not a stupid mid-week cup game. The FA Cup is the most prestigious trophy and competition in all things football!

Gus respects these traditions and values and would therefore, act upon that by aiming to progress in the tournament :clap:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love the FA Cup and I would like us to pick a fairly full strength side and make sure we go through, hopefully in style. I think we should expect to get to the third round at least and hopefully beyond.

Gus has already said that he will play a number of fringe players Brezovan, Battipiedi, Dunk and Baz for sure. LuaLua can't play and expect Kishishev, Dicker, elAbd and Greer to be rested. The key will be who he plays up front. After Northampton I am sure that if OGH plays (much as I love him) he won't score even if the game goes to two replays! I hope Bennett plays in a striking role because he needs the chance to score some goals to help his confidence and I hope Murray plays because much of our success hinges on his ability to be an easy to hit outlet and to hold and lay the ball off.

So:

Brezovan

Calderon
Elphick
Dunk
Painter

Bridcutt
Battipiedi
Baz
Sparrow

Murray
Bennett

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Lets do an Arsenal,play the fringe and still take the piss!

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
I was thinking about this today.
I'd like to see us go up against a competent Championship side like, say, Derby to see how we get on.
Then again, as things stand in the tables we'll bypass Palace next season so to draw them in the Cup this season would be superb.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I love the FA Cup and I would like us to pick a fairly full strength side and make sure we go through, hopefully in style. I think we should expect to get to the third round at least and hopefully beyond.

Gus has already said that he will play a number of fringe players Brezovan, Battipiedi, Dunk and Baz for sure. LuaLua can't play and expect Kishishev, Dicker, elAbd and Greer to be rested. The key will be who he plays up front. After Northampton I am sure that if OGH plays (much as I love him) he won't score even if the game goes to two replays! I hope Bennett plays in a striking role because he needs the chance to score some goals to help his confidence and I hope Murray plays because much of our success hinges on his ability to be an easy to hit outlet and to hold and lay the ball off.

So:

Brezovan

Calderon
Elphick
Dunk
Painter

Bridcutt
Battipiedi
Baz
Sparrow

Murray
Bennett

I would say thats pretty much the kind of side I would happily see myself. Barnes possibly in the hope of continuing his form and grabbing a goal or two.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
We're not Manchester United!

The FA Cup has provided Albion fans with many of their best-ever match experiences.

In the run up to Falmer, a good run, with perhaps a big game in the third or fourth round, will help increase our profile even more and show the rest of the country just how good we are.

I love the FA Cup. It should be treated with the respect it deserves.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I really want us to play a strong team and progress. Who wouldn't want the exciting build up on NSC to a latter stage game such as Aston Villa away? On second thoughts....

Being serious though I can't believe the FA Cup could possibly distract us enough for the league form to suffer as a result. Would love to see us pitched against a lower league Premiership or top half Championship club to really see how good we are

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Just fancy one big away day, maybe a shock win, then we can be done

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Why would anyone want to get knocked out of the cup? Round Three and one of the big four away please

Thanks

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Let the back up players like Brezovan, Baz, Elphick, Painter, Sparrow and Hart etc go out there and prove to gus why they should be knocking the starting 11 onto the bench!!!

A damn good healthy thrashing and a couple of star performances if Gus works his magic like usual!!!:albion1:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I would prefer us not to lose to anybody in any competition, so if we enjoy a decent cup run I'd be very happy.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
No i love the FA cup. Everyone had a great day out last year at villa i don't know why we shouldn't aim for at least the third round

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here