Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA Cup Third Round Weekend

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Its quite plain. Salah was offside when the cross came in. The defender wasn't to know and so attempted to deal with it, but dropped it into Salah's path, who then finished with a goal.

It should've been flagged offside at the point the ball was played in. He WAS offside.
Well that Salah decision is a new one on me - I don't think I have seen that before. Are they seriously saying that VAR has consistently implemented that rule in every game? I seriously doubt it. It was one of the more obvious offsides, you didn't even need to draw lines on the pitch to see it. Madness.

Oh and VAR couldn't check the Wolves one as they didn't have a decent camera angle? At Anfield? Bullshit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh and VAR couldn't check the Wolves one as they didn't have a decent camera angle? At Anfield? Bullshit.
Made all the more ridiculous a claim with Wolves saying they have a tactical camera that shows he was onside.

And Klopp claiming they have a camera angle that shows he was offside.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Made all the more ridiculous a claim with Wolves saying they have a tactical camera that shows he was onside.

And Klopp claiming they have a camera angle that shows he was offside.
Yup, it's just getting silly now. In the pre-VAR days the assistant would have raised their flag immediately for Salah, offside would have been given and we carry on. If the TV cameras showed he was onside then there would have been an almighty row about it. It is those rows that VAR was supposed to remove, not enforce some ever more convoluted rules. A total rethink is required.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The camera at Bristol City must be the highest in the world, attached to a satellite or something.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Well that Salah decision is a new one on me - I don't think I have seen that before. Are they seriously saying that VAR has consistently implemented that rule in every game? I seriously doubt it. It was one of the more obvious offsides, you didn't even need to draw lines on the pitch to see it. Madness.
The rule is intended to allow for the dodgy back pass. If you think about it, if the defender wasn’t under pressure and he’d tried to play it back to the keeper but played it short and salah had intercepted, you wouldn’t expect that to be ruled offside. (A bit like the Gross goal v Everton). This rule has the unintended affect of allowing salahs goal yesterday which seems somewhat unfair.

However, it would be difficult to word the rule so as to allow one case and disallow the other. My view is that as it stands, the rule is clear and unambiguous and should remain that way. The fact that it will occasionally have this unintended consequence is worth putting up with, for the avoidance of ambiguity.

It’s just a pity that people who are paid millions to provide punditry on TV can’t be bothered to study and understand the rule, and spout nonsense which ends up confusing the viewers.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
It’s just a pity that people who are paid millions to provide punditry on TV can’t be bothered to study and understand the rule, and spout nonsense which ends up confusing the viewers.
Well, if the pundits on TV don't understand the rules, then how the bloody hell are we supposed to? Go on a FA training course or something?
It all stems from the monster that is VAR.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
The rule is intended to allow for the dodgy back pass. If you think about it, if the defender wasn’t under pressure and he’d tried to play it back to the keeper but played it short and salah had intercepted, you wouldn’t expect that to be ruled offside. (A bit like the Gross goal v Everton). This rule has the unintended affect of allowing salahs goal yesterday which seems somewhat unfair.

However, it would be difficult to word the rule so as to allow one case and disallow the other. My view is that as it stands, the rule is clear and unambiguous and should remain that way. The fact that it will occasionally have this unintended consequence is worth putting up with, for the avoidance of ambiguity.

When was this rule introduced?

Salah was obviously offside when the pass was made and it was obvious that he was the intended target. The unintended consequence of this rule is that defenders now have to determine whether an attacker is offside or not when the pass was played and then decide whether to play the ball or not accordingly, which is obviously a load of bollocks and practically impossible for them.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well, if the pundits on TV don't understand the rules, then how the bloody hell are we supposed to? Go on a FA training course or something?
It all stems from the monster that is VAR.
How many times have you listened to a pundit and thought "that was a clearly expressed opinion by a thoughtful and will informed individual"?
Compared to the number of times you've thought "shut up you mindless berk"?
I'd set your aspirations a bit higher if I were you.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Anyway back to the magic of the cup Cardiff reserves vs Leeds reserves

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Could just about accept VAR if it was not for stupid decisions like this. If this is a rule this must be shown as an example as to why rule has to be changed. What happened to offside when ball was passed

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I remember a young Albion player leaving to go back up North and signed for Blackpool. Is he in first team ? Also is the young Lewes player in Cardiff team today. ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going back to a little before the second goal... Premier league Wilf booked for diving.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I remember a young Albion player leaving to go back up North and signed for Blackpool. Is he in first team ? Also is the young Lewes player in Cardiff team today. ?
No for Emmerson at Blackpool, and Tanner is on the bench for Cardiff today

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Leeds doing what Leeds traditionally do in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup.

2017-18 R3: Newport 2 Leeds 1
2018-19 R3: QPR 2 Leeds 1
2019-20 R3: Arsenal 1 Leeds 0
2020-21 R3: Crawley 3 Leeds 0
2021-22 R3: West Ham 2 Leeds 0
2022-23 R3: Cardiff 2 Leeds 0 (latest score)

No goals in the last 4 seasons. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here