Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA Cup Third Round Weekend

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This would have all been clearer if the lino flagged the moment the ball was played back to the corner taker. It's this 'if it's close, wait to flag' thing that has led to all this confusion.

Keep it simple. If you are confident enough to flag they are offside, then flag right away. If you're not sure let it go.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Don't see how Salah isn't offside in a different phase for his goal yet the Wolves player is?
salah was offside when the ball was played but the defender just gets a bit of the ball, directing it to salah, who then isn't offside.

not right, i know, but dems da roolz

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was really quite strange watching our game today and realising, after each goal, that once given it could not be overruled.

In a Premier League game, I'd initially have been holding myself back on the Lallana goal, wondering if there was any chance he was offside.

Radio commentary suggested that Sheffield Wednesday's opener today was very tight and would certainly have been up for VAR scrutiny if the game was at St James Park. I'm not sure I agree with some games having it and others not in the FA Cup.
A very valid point….all either have it or none at all….just to clarify the Wolves ‘goal’ was disallowed on the pitch….its just that the Wolves players didnt realise for ages and i mean ages that it had been disallowed

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
salah was offside when the ball was played but the defender just gets a bit of the ball, directing it to salah, who then isn't offside.

not right, i know, but dems da roolz

This again shows the rules need to change. Salah clearly gained an advantage by being offside

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Perhaps they need to change the rule to only giving offside when it clearly gives a player an advantage, although that would probably confuse things even more!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
f***ing marvellous, MOTD has 2 non-league games before us.

And now the MASSIVE vs. the Toon - did we actually play today?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Two big decisions in the late game both right and proving the need for VAR and nobody really wants to see Wolverhampton go through at the expense of Liverpool particularly the foreign viewers.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I dont understand the debate about the Salah goal. As the rule stands, he was onside. Its irrelevant whether its a good or bad rule. So why does the Wolves manager (and MOTD pundits) think it should have been given offside - do they not know the rules?

This simple logic of truth vs what they would like to be the truth, seems to baffle many.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont understand the debate about the Salah goal. As the rule stands, he was onside. Its irrelevant whether its a good or bad rule
Its quite plain. Salah was offside when the cross came in. The defender wasn't to know and so attempted to deal with it, but dropped it into Salah's path, who then finished with a goal.

It should've been flagged offside at the point the ball was played in. He WAS offside.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
f***ing marvellous, MOTD has 2 non-league games before us.

And now the MASSIVE vs. the Toon - did we actually play today?
Middlesbrough are officially the dullest club in the country. Them getting humped by a quality PL team is hardly news. The FA Cup is all about seeing the minnows punching, so ABSOLUTELY you want to see some non-leaguers making a game of it, and some old third division junk giving a PL team a slap.

Nobody in the country would be tuning in to see how "Boro" got on.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its quite plain. Salah was offside when the cross came in. The defender wasn't to know and so attempted to deal with it, but dropped it into Salah's path, who then finished with a goal.

It should've been flagged offside at the point the ball was played in. He WAS offside.
Thats what you would like the rule to be. Thats not what the rule is.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Can you quote the law then please. I'd like to know.
Well you asked for it :). Quoted in full below. The reason Salah wasn't offside is because of the rule underlined. Note that the rules are applied for each touch of the ball. Every touch starts a new 'phase'. So when the cross came in, it went to the defender. At this point, Salah was in an offside position, but it wasnt an offside 'offence', because he didnt touch the ball and wasnt interfering. The defender made a deliberate touch on the ball (the header) and it went to Salah, still in an offside position, but there's no offside offence because of the (daft) rule in bold underline below.

The offside rule in full:

1. Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. For the purposes of determining offside, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

• second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

In situations where:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
  • a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
  • an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

3. No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

Clear as mud. No wonder nobody knows what the f*** is going on.

Salah was offside when the cross was played. If the defender had just let it fly and Salah had stuck it away, no goal. Joke.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Clear as mud. No wonder nobody knows what the f*** is going on.

Salah was offside when the cross was played. If the defender had just let it fly and Salah had stuck it away, no goal. Joke.
The law cannot seriously be intended to allow Salah's goal. IFAB helpfully gives some video examples of deliberate play https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/. It looks to me like example 4 which is not offside.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It was a good example of exactly why fans hate VAR and how it sucks the enjoyment out of everything. A bit like Mitoma's v Arsenal. Technically, he was in an offside position (just) running back in the previous phase, but no lino on earth would've given it.

The decision to disallow Ali Mac's stunner v Leicester still riles. Yes, you could technically argue Mwepu was offside, but only if you think his attempted overhead affected the defender's clearance (a matter of interpretation). There's absolutely no way it would've been given pre-VAR. As with tonight, no players appealed for it.

I hate the fact that VAR is being used by the PGMOL t*ats to find any reason they can to disallow a goal.
This is my problem with the use of VAR, the officials are looking for the smallest excuse to disallow a goal not correct egregious errors. The offside law is now not fit for purpose. The rule is there to stop attackers deliberately gaining an advantage by essentially goal hanging. Using a hairs breadth of a body part to determine the course of a match goes against the spirit of the game.

Also with the Salah one, he did gain an advantage when the ball was played, for the law to allow this seems ridiculous to me. The Mitoma decision last week infuriates me even more now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here