Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Final:Portsmouth v Cardiff

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Who are they? The only Englishmen I see are James, Johnson, and Campbell, all of whom, unless they've just been in the sun too long, could hardly be described as WHITE!!

Which shows how long we've come in terms of kicking racism out of football.

I can remember a time where a team usually have at most one white player on the pitch who would be roundly booed (sometimes by the home fans)

When Justin Fashanu played for Brighton I saw someone from the West Stand throw a banana at him.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
What a crap bit of celebration for their goal - show some PASSION and EXCITEMENT for god sake!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who are they? The only Englishmen I see are James, Johnson, and Campbell, all of whom, unless they've just been in the sun too long, could hardly be described as WHITE!!

wher did I mention ENGLISH?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that true? How come 'God Save the Queen' is always played when England compete? Lack of alternatives? And if so does that mean that technically we can play anything as the English national anthem?

It isn't always played when England compete at all.

Lack of alternatives? - basically yes. The National Anthem is the UK National Anthem - not the "English" one, that doesn't exist.

There is no such thing as the English National Anthem and it's been a matter of debate for years. People often misunderstand the argument about "changing it", what people are actually asking for is for there actually to be an English one.

"Technically we can play anything" - yes, since there is nothing in law that says that even the UK National Anthem is God Save The Queen.

If people think it's odd playing the Welsh National Anthem at the English FA Cup, it's just as wierd playing the UK one.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Poor goal conceded but Cardiff are creating chances

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That isnt the Welsh National Anthem is it?

I thought Land of my Fathers was a song the same way as Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory.

The Welsh national anthem is God Save the Queen, as the nation is part of the United Kingdom......snt it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That isnt the Welsh National Anthem is it?

I thought Land of my Fathers was a song the same way as Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory.

The Welsh national anthem is God Save the Queen, as the nation is part of the United Kingdom......snt it?

Correct, same as Flower Of Scotland

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It isn't always played when England compete at all.

Lack of alternatives? - basically yes. The National Anthem is the UK National Anthem - not the "English" one, that doesn't exist.

There is no such thing as the English National Anthem and it's been a matter of debate for years. People often misunderstand the argument about "changing it", what people are actually asking for is for there actually to be an English one.

"Technically we can play anything" - yes, since there is nothing in law that says that even the UK National Anthem is God Save The Queen.

If people think it's odd playing the Welsh National Anthem at the English FA Cup, it's just as wierd playing the UK one.

'God Save The Queen' has been played whenever England have played as far as I can remember. I can't remember an international game where it hasn't been played?

So, if someone sneaked it into the law books we could have Good Old Sussex By The Sea as our national anthem? Something for our local mp's to think about...

Disagree with your last point if, as is probably true for most people, God Save The Queen is considered as the English anthem(even if only as a stand in anthem).

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Kanu - cock.

At least Cardiff are giving it a go, but ultimately the game peaked while Katherine Jenkins was on...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here