Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup 1st round draw

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone else feeling a little bit saddened by our absence from the most important round in the most important cup competition in World football?

I love The Amex, I love the Championship and I love where we are as a club now.

But there is that little part of me that misses the Withdean, being generally a bit rubbish and getting excited by playing Cheltenham away in the FA Cup. Those days are, hopefully, behind us as a club. But I miss it a little bit.

Just me?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:lolol: I don't really miss the Johnstones Paint Trophy, but then to a certain extent, it was a bit of a laugh. Earlier kick off, cheaper tickets, reserve team football, penalty shoot outs with Leyton Orient (Robbie Savage!).... Ah, so many memories. It wasn't that long ago that we went to Luton hoping to win the Southern Section and get a day out at Wembley.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Not just you. I normally keep tabs on the preliminary rounds to see when the first round is being drawn and who we are playing.
This season I noticed in the Monday papers that the draw had been made for the first round, and I didn't even realise. Part of me felt a little sad.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been offered the chance to take in a 1st round match, but it's never the same when it's a team you don't really care about. My first proper experience as a Brighton fan was the FA Cup tie with Leyton Orient in the late 90s, either 97 or 98. What a game of football, and what an atmosphere. Never forget that day, despite the fact that we lost. For me, that is what football is about. Good proper days out and quality cup ties.

If we go and draw Man Utd away in the 3rd round, this thread will be long forgotten, but for now, I'll miss not playing in round 1.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I like FA Cup Finals when the Albion are there. But it happened every year it would get a bit commonplace.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I still want an away game at Newport (IOW). I always check to see how they are doing.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The FA Cup starts in the Extra Preliminary Round in August... some of you that 'bloody love the FA Cup' should get down to a county side and show how much you 'bloody love' it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry but since when has the first round of the FA cup been the most important? As far as I am concerned, and most people I know, the most important round is the 3rd round whether we were in it or not.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i miss the johnstones paint pot trophy vase. Some of those games where the likes of barnet brought like 10 fans and who remembers Robbie Savage missing a penalty in the shoot out in the dark days of Micky Adams

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
At least we get a better chance of a big draw now.... On the downside, we could be another clubs chance of a giant killing. Especially on current form!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i miss the johnstones paint pot trophy vase. Some of those games where the likes of barnet brought like 10 fans and who remembers Robbie Savage missing a penalty in the shoot out in the dark days of Micky Adams
Much as I love the Cups I could never get enthused about the JPT. (Much like I can't get enthused about preliminary rounds of the FA Cup, sorry LondonBlue!) The criteria for entry was you had to be a shit lower-division team, and the climax of the competition was getting the chance to rattle around a half-empty Wembley with some bunch of northern no-marks.

Think I went to about three JPT games all the while we were at Withdean - and I think two of them were Barnet.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Trying to see what day town are playing Swindon. If its switched I can go to Swindon as I have a concert at st bartholemews on the Saturday 12th

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit, I had some very enjoyable days in the early rounds of the FA Cup. Aldershot away springs to mind, but there have been plenty of real shockers as well (Sudbury, Kingstonian etc).

I'm not sorry we're into round three, but if I was not at Albion or not working, I'd probably go and see a local team in the first round.

To be honest, I can live without the JPT.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not just you. I normally keep tabs on the preliminary rounds to see when the first round is being drawn and who we are playing.
This season I noticed in the Monday papers that the draw had been made for the first round, and I didn't even realise. Part of me felt a little sad.

What? It's been made already??!

I had no idea. Which of the Sheffield clubs are going to be live on TV for the next three rounds?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Friday, 11 November 2011

Cambridge Utd v Wrexham, R1, 19:45

Saturday, 12 November 2011

Newport County v Shrewsbury, R1, 12:30
AFC Totton v Bradford PA, R1, 15:00
AFC Wimbledon v Scunthorpe, R1, 15:00
Alfreton Town v Carlisle, R1, 15:00
Barrow v Rotherham, R1, 15:00
Blyth Spartans v Gateshead, R1, 15:00
Bournemouth v Gillingham, R1, 15:00