Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I honestly cannot believe that people would prefer a bloke that after having spent millions and millions has won one FA cup in his managerial career (not to mention who has seen his Spurs team with very good players come crashing down since he was free of court proceedings). This compared to a man that has managed all over Europe taken teams to European finals, managed at international level and built nations up to a higher level not to mention who is so highly rated by UEFA that he has attended every European competition since god knows when compiling reports on teams.
Ignore the press and look at the places and the success Hodgson has had.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hodgson's proven over years to be a better manager than 'Arry.

Good to spot who is fooled by the papers/media on here though, useful to know for future reference.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I honestly cannot believe that people would prefer a bloke that after having spent millions and millions has won one FA cup in his managerial career (not to mention who has seen his Spurs team with very good players come crashing down since he was free of court proceedings). This compared to a man that has managed all over Europe taken teams to European finals, managed at international level and built nations up to a higher level not to mention who is so highly rated by UEFA that he has attended every European competition since god knows when compiling reports on teams.
Ignore the press and look at the places and the success Hodgson has had.

Good to spot who is fooled by the papers/media on here though, useful to know for future reference.

Totally agree with both of these. The press and their Harry love in can f*ck off. They're only backing him because they know when it goes wrong there is so much shit to throw at him that he's a press golden goose.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All seems pretty obvious to me.

'arry. Of course the press want him, and therefore install him as the "peoples choice." He gets on well with the press, always gives them a quote - usually about the next player he wants to sign - and is a timebomb waiting to go off with a massive corruption stpry. That's PERFECT for the press, of course they want him. But for the FA it would cost in the region of £10m to buy him out of his Spurs contract, and as a manager who is always in need of "2 or 3 more quality signings" he is perhaps not suited to International management, where he can't drop a Van Der Vaart into the squad.

Roy. He makes a career out of getting the best out of mediocre talent, which is the job he needs to do with us. He does it by working with those players, rather than opening a cheque book, and has experience of International management. Also, there is no contract to buy him out of as his deal at West Briom expires in a few weeks.

There is only a big fuss being made, because he's not as good news for the media, because he's just not as colourful a story.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What a fuckin' joke. Why can this lot never take a risk. At best we've got the next Bobby Robson, I'm sure he'll be better than Mclaren, might get the same record as Sven, but we're not going to win anything. And forget this summer's euros, might see what odds there are on England losing all 3 group games this summer.

And everyone who says Hodgson has an incredible CV, what bloody planet are you on. We've got someone who's good at finishing mid-table, whoopy-doo. Someone who's managed Switzerland and managed to 'qualify for the world cup'. Astonishing. Its a safe, dull option, it probably won't backfire spectacularly, but its disappointing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Not in England he hasn't. If doing well at some small Swedish clubs is the criteria for success then god help us........ come to think of it, is Ulrika Jonsson still sleeping with the FA Board?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tomorrow's binfest in the popular press should be entertaining.

Redknapp was not "the peoples' choice" but he was the choice of elements of the press - particularly those with a predeliction for the salacious and for lurid headlines.

yep. the Daily Fail sub headline was somthing like "the fans backlash begins". meanwhile the Telegraph had a much more measured report, pretty much saying he's probably best suited but not the choice of the tabloids.

from football to government, just when did we let the tabloid press tell us what wwe think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Redknapp:
One third division title
One second division title (with an absolutely enormous budget)
One FA Cup win at a cost of nearly bankrupting his club

Hodgson:
UEFA Cup runner up with Internazionale
Europa League runner up with Fulham
Two League championships. Admittedly, only in Sweden & Denmark, but not with the biggest clubs in those leagues.

So who do you think looks like he'd do better in Europe? To me, it's a no brainer, and that's before we get into all the bungs and that nonsense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All seems pretty obvious to me.

'arry. Of course the press want him, and therefore install him as the "peoples choice." He gets on well with the press, always gives them a quote - usually about the next player he wants to sign - and is a timebomb waiting to go off with a massive corruption stpry. That's PERFECT for the press, of course they want him. But for the FA it would cost in the region of £10m to buy him out of his Spurs contract, and as a manager who is always in need of "2 or 3 more quality signings" he is perhaps not suited to International management, where he can't drop a Van Der Vaart into the squad.

Roy. He makes a career out of getting the best out of mediocre talent, which is the job he needs to do with us. He does it by working with those players, rather than opening a cheque book, and has experience of International management. Also, there is no contract to buy him out of as his deal at West Briom expires in a few weeks.

There is only a big fuss being made, because he's not as good news for the media, because he's just not as colourful a story.

Spot on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not in England he hasn't. If doing well at some small Swedish clubs is the criteria for success then god help us........ come to think of it, is Ulrika Jonsson still sleeping with the FA Board?

Inter Milan are Swedish? News to me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know about you, but I'd like to win a world cup or a euros, not just be comfortably average

You are DRUNK if you think we have the players to be anywhere near winning a tournament in the next 6 years, REGARDLESS of manager.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have no porblem with them appointing Hodgson (assuming they do). He has a good international record with relatively low teams - I think he lost 4 out of 31 qualifiers, or something, andd that's with Switzerland and Finland, so not too bad.

People have to remember than managing an international team is completely different from a club team - you can't buy anyone, you see very little of your squad, only get them for a week or so every couple of months - so all you need to do is pick the right team and get them to approach a match in the right way - you can't really "coach" them.

I've said before that if I was Harry, unless I wanted to retire in 4 years, I woudn't take the job anyway for various reasons - according to Lawrenson, he thinks Harry has been asked anyway and turned it down.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I AM "the people" and 'Arry's not my choice! :lol:

The (front page) headlines may not be as loud but it's inside the back page that excites me

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
You are DRUNK if you think we have the players to be anywhere near winning a tournament in the next 6 years, REGARDLESS of manager.

Thats a daft statement. We've got players in the champions league final, winners of champions leagues, of course they're good enough. If they weren't we wouldn't have been laying into Sven, Shteve and Cappello the way we do. Manager's matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here