Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

bbranni

Jan 11, 2010
I think RH would be an excellent choice. He has international and european managerial experience. Ok his reign at Liverpool was poor but he was handicapped by the spectre of Dalglish hanging over him, he never stood a chance there.

Lets not kid ourselves we are a second rate nation in international football and very much the underdogs. Look at his achievements at Fulham (keeping them up and Europa league final) and look at his work at WBA (keeping them up last season and comfortably steering them to safety this season). To me who seems to get his teams very organised and difficult to beat and as an underdog at the euros this is exactly what we need. A tight compact unit (ok maybe not very entertaining) (but neither was losing 4-1 to Germany) who wont concede much and with Rooney up front (yes i know misses first two games) always capable of scoring.

People say that RH had a poor stint but I'm sure I read somewhere that he has a similar, if not better record that KD. Not to mention how much more money that KD has spent that RH.

I think RH is an excellent choice, he gets good results with limited funds i.e. gets a lot from what he's got. The old England guard won't be around forever and RH can start from scratch. I think HR is also ok but as we all know he's a "wheeler dealer" and needs money to put together a decent squad, he may have more passion than RH but if you can't get motivated for your own country then International football isn't for you.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
During the frenzy to give Harry the England job a few months ago I got flamed on here for quietly suggesting that no one should rule out Hodgson.

I think the FA have weighed up Harry's so called man management skills and his jokey wide boy wheeler dealer image - then thought twice and opted for Roy Hodgson who is a proper technical coach with a credible long term record in Europe and far more media savvy.

Quite apart from footballing reasons I think the FA would also feel vulnerable having Harry around even though he was aquitted of dodgy dealings but his defence of being illiterate and having offshore bank accounts named after his dog will always get thrown in his face. Yes Harry would have been a media darling with his throw away quotes and may have been a bit more popular with the players but there is no certainty England will succeed on the pitch. His reputation is largely built on one decent Champions league campaign with Spurs and a dodgy FA cup win with Pompey, plus there is always the whiff of something rotten that might emerge to cause yet more embarrassment.

Roy is more of a safe pair of hands, less likely to attract the wrong headlines at a time when the FA could do with restoring its credibility. Ok he is a bit 'straight', probably less popular with the players and may not exactly get the fans juices going but I suspect he would do better, if he is given a decent chance. My fear is that Roy will be up against the same player power that dogged Capello. If he can sort that out he has a good chance of success.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't the FA say they have a short list. Perhaps hodgson is being interviewed now as west brom have nothing to play for and Harry will be approached when season ends.

The BBC are implying this is the case. Hodgson to meet the FA tomorrow apparently - but only because WBA's season is as good as over. It would be a first if they were only to interview one candidate. Redknapp will certainly be interviewed.

I hope to god it isn't Hodgson, though I've a nasty feeling it might be as he is very much in the FA mould. They never go for the best manager, always the safe option - the man who's not likely to rock the boat.

He was a disaster at Liverpool and only seems to do well in jobs where there's no pressure. A Mr Nice Guy who would almost certainly fail if he managed the national side.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tomorrow's binfest in the popular press should be entertaining.

Redknapp was not "the peoples' choice" but he was the choice of elements of the press - particularly those with a predeliction for the salacious and for lurid headlines.

Redknapp is a PR disaster waiting to happen for the FA with the gutter press crawling over every aspect of his life looking for something to hang him with. If the press hadn't been so committed to using any possible means. legal or otherwise, to hound anyone in public life in return for headlines, then their "darling" might have got the job. As it is the press killed it for him.
The press will make a big issue of how disappointed "the public" are about Harry not getting the job. My guess is that a very significant proportion of "the public" are either remarkably sanguine or entirely disinterested but that doesn't generate headlines does it.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
f***ing hell. Crwoydon Woy.

That's my summer in to cocked hat then! Bollocks

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nothing the FA does surprises me. If it was Hodgson all the time then why wasn't he appointed when Capello left? Have we underprepared for a major tournament simply to make the WBA chairman feel better and save a few bob in compensation?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good point.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely his ability to manage big name/ego players must be a worry given what happened at Liverpool.

Nobody could have done that job with Dalgleish looming large over every decision you made. And if memory serves me well, Dalgleish never really gave RH the full backing he needed to bring the player onside.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can't f***ing believe this. Roy bloody Hodgson??!!!! Jesus wept.

I think my England watching days are about to end. I really can't see what planet the FA are on. Harry Rednapp is the obvious choice. Just a complete joke.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
This kind of comment from Henry Winter shows how much the England manager is entirely affected by the Press, who basically tried to appoint Redknapp themselves by saying he was the "People's Choice" without bothering to ask the people (and also assuming that if you say it enough it will be true).

"One way of summing him up is that he is a broadsheet man in a tabloid world. He is almost a professor type character when people want soundbites and players want short team-talks.
So, he is going to have to change his style of management and style of news conference if he is going to succeed in the job"

Excuse me if I don't give a f*** if he gives you nice sound bites and fun press conferences. It's a complete farce how much influence the press have over England in general. Do they now dictate a manager's style to a way that suits them?

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011

I think my England watching days are about to end. I really can't see what planet the FA are on. Harry Rednapp is the obvious choice. Just a complete joke.

I agree with this completely.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
[MENTION=8329]Spider[/MENTION]
Exactly! The media are creating this "campaign" against Hodgson simply because he's not THEIR choice. He's not their choice because they think Redknapp will sell more papers: what's best for the national team doesn't factor into the media's thinking, despite their tendency to drape themselves in the flag whenever it suits. I think someone with a track record of getting surprisingly good performances out of average players fits perfectly the situation England find themselves in.

There was a guy from the Sun on R5L last night, who was shockingly frank about this and what his paper's approach is going to be. Please don't fall for it, people. Give him a chance, this tournament isn't one we were ever likely to win so if he does terribly, he'll be out, if he does alright he'll have earned the right to more of a go at it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I couldn't disagree more with that. Hodgson has an incredible CV that includes taking Switzerland to the world cup having only lost 1 qualifying game in a group that included Italy and Portugal. He took Fulham from absolute relegation certainties to the Europa League final, and left a team that enjoys mid table premiership finishes. His record at Inter was actually pretty good, as well as his amazing work in Sweden, and now at West Brom.

Stand their careers side by side and you would only pick one man. The press and their obsession with cheeky geezer Harry Redknapp sickens me personally, and I'd glad he's not getting the job. The last thing England needed was another ego - 'People's Choice'; f*ck off is he.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here