Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2024

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For me, I'm looking at the top 4 teams and the 8 drivers in those seats. Is Perez better than any of the other 7? IMO ... no, he's not. He's the weakest driver from that group. With all 3 chasing teams closing the car performance gap, Perez is going to struggle. Even when he's in his top form (eg Japan this season), he's slower than Verstappen in qually. But Perez on top form is rare, so we're normally looking at a 3-4 tenths gap in qually. He got away with it last season (ignoring his stinker spell) because the RB was so much faster that 3-4 tenths still put him at the pointy end, and then the race pace of the RB was so superior he could cruise to 2nd with a clean race. But I think we're now going to see McLaren, Ferrari, and Mercedes all being within that window and 3-4 tenths will be enough to see him down in 8th regularly. And as we've seen recently if he has a stinker the rest of the field is now close enough that a 8 tenth gap to Verstappen can mean going out in Q1.

Then on race day he's a) starting lower down, and b) dealing with faster opposition ahead. It's been obvious when he's started further back he's not been able to charge through and recover a result the same way he could last year.

All of which says to me that the RB car is no longer dominant and Verstappen's talent is what's keeping them going.

Lando lost it in turn 1. But, have to give him kudos for it. A younger Norris probably would have kept his foot in it and tried to stay in between Max and George and we would have seen contact. Instead, he took the wise route, got out of the squeeze, and ran a really mature race to recover second and keep Max honest to the end. Unless Red Bull's upgrade that's due at Silverstone restores their advantage, I can see Norris picking up more wins this season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Piastri grab his first full-length race win as well.
Yes o think/hope he'll get a few more wins. Once he's got them under his belt he'll be better prepared to take on max.

Max had several years of winning races and maximizing potential race winning opportunities before he went fully toe to toe with Lewis.

I feel Lando needs some of that experience if he's to have a realistic shot at dethroning max next srason(assuming he has a car capable of doing so).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
On the Perez thing, someone (it might have been Danica Patrick so unusually some good analysis from her) said that he's still about four to five tenths behind Verstappen, as he has been pretty much since the start of this generation of cars, but the difference is that whereas Red Bull used to be a second ahead of the field, putting him second, they're now only a couple of tenths behind, which puts him back in the pack

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Rapid turn around as we're now into a triple-header of races. Austria next, then we follow the general election with Silverstone.

Rumour mill re: 2025 drives continues to rumble on in the background. It was widely expected that Sainz would announce joining Williams at his home race, but that didn't happen. Initially, it was thought that's simply because he still hasn't fully made his mind up between Audi and Williams. However today the rumours have started that Alpine have entered the conversation with a big offer. Sainz himself has indicated he wants to get the decision done, and Williams still looks most likely.

On the Audi side, a new emerging rumour is that their preferred alternative to Sainz is now picking up Liam Lawson from Red Bull. They may be forced to wait until September, though, as Lawson is not free to exit his RB contract until then (and only if he doesn't get the other VCARB seat).

Ocon is expected to move to Haas. So current state of play:

Red Bull
1. Verstappen
2. Perez

Ferrari

1. Leclerc
2. Hamilton

McLaren

1. Norris
2. Piastri

Mercedes

1. Russell
2. Antonelli

Aston Martin
1. Alonso
2. Stroll

VCARB

1. Tsunoda
2. Ricciardo OR Lawson

Sauber / Audi
1. Hulkenberg (multi year contract)
2. Sainz OR Lawson OR Bottas OR Zhou

Williams
1. Albon
2. Sainz OR [...]

Haas
1. Ocon OR Zhou OR Magnussen
2. Bearman

Alpine
1. Gasly
2. Doohan OR Mick Schumacher OR Zhou OR Sainz

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I'd really love to head to Austria, maybe next year.

Track is normally good for races and the atmosphere is amazing. Plus there's also a shuttle service from Vienna which is a lovely city where some of my friends live.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
10 races done ... thought I'd check in on my pre-season top 10 predictions:

1. Max Verstappen is WDC again. Wins more than 50% of the races, but doesn't quite have everything as easy as last season.
He's catchable still, but it's going to take a DNF or two to bring him in range I think. Wins no longer easy street, but podiums whenever he doesn't win will keep him ahead.

2. At least 3 different teams win at least 1 race each. I'll even take a stab at who: Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren.
Ding! Done.

3. Ferrari start the season much closer to Red Bull and have solved their in-race tyre degradation problem from last year. Double-podium results are well within reach regularly, and Leclerc finally converts a pole position into a win.
Part 1 - done. Part 3 - done. Part 2 ... was looking good, but McLaren and now Mercedes spoiling it. 2 double podiums, plus 2 3rd / 4th results. Doesn't qualify for "regularly" at the moment.

4. Perez struggles with the additional pressure applied by Ferrari. Red Bull's patience wears thin rapidly, and a shocking Miami race off the back of one of those "supportive" Red Bull statements about putting an arm around him but needing to see his results improve sees him on his way out.
Booo. 2 year renewal kills off this one, in theory. BUT ... he is feeling the pressure. Will he survive to actually see out that contract?

5. Ricciardo dominates Tsunoda, and scores regular points for VCARB in the midfield scrap. Replaces Perez at Red Bull for the Imola round.
Nope.

6. Alpine are the shock failures of the season, slipping into an almighty ding-dong battle with Haas for the wooden spoon.
Started the season very poorly, but improved form for Canada and Spain has seen them leap into 7th. Will it continue, or will they slip back again? Haas staying out of the wooden spoon battle for now as well, with Sauber / Audi doing a fantastic job of dominating that competition.

7. McLaren and Mercedes are both much stronger than they were at the start of 2023, but find themselves behind Ferrari. Both are nevertheless regular podium chasers.
McLaren: Started the season behind Ferrari, have now edged ahead. Regular podium ticked, for now.
Mercedes: Behind Ferrari. 2 recent podiums doesn't tick "regular", but if they maintain their new form they could.

8. Alonso performs more magic with Aston Martin, and rumours rapidly grow about Mercedes targeting him to replace Hamilton.
The talk started, then Alonso squashed it by signing with Aston Martin ... and the magic has faded. He's now broaching the subject of potential retirement. Will he see out his contract or leave early?

9. Sargeant continues to get spanked by Albon, leading to a mid-season swap for Mercedes Junior Andrea Kimi Antonelli.
Spankings have been doled out (although, is that fair? Williams very much a single car team this year). Antonelli talk has swirled, but nothing has come of it so far. Other than the FIA changing some rules to make it easier...

10. The Andretti entry continues to be a thorn in the FOM's side, and by the end of the season their entry for 2026 has been accepted.
Part 1, very much yes. Liberty / FOM facing possible anti-trust action from the US Congress is very thorny. No movement on possibly accepting them for 2026, though, and the FIA has back off their support and suggested Andretti buys a team.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Alonso has made bad choices since he left Renault, it must gnaw at him, especially with Hamilton’s successes.

If Mercedes want him I can see him jumping ship

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Gasly renews with Alpine, for at least the next 2 years (until end of 2026).

Edit: And Stroll confirmed at Aston Martin for "2025 and beyond". Big surprise. Not.

Edit 2: No announcements re: Sainz expected this weekend. Plenty of chatter that both Magnussen and Zhou are expecting to be left without a seat for 2025.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
WTF was Verstappen doing?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Max back to driving like a **** when challenged hard, last time was vs Hamilton the year he was handed his first Championship?

Moving as Norris tried to overtake him and then trying to drive him off the road when they both got a puncture because he didn’t leave Norris any space.

The guy should be getting meaningful penalties for driving like that

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Well that took a turn!

That 6.5 second pitstop for Verstappen changed the race, allowing Norris to get right up close and personal. And then Max reverted to type. There's a real Schumacher streak to him where he just won't let anyone pass him fairly.

What surprised me was it was in a race that doesn't have any real affect on the championship - that's his, but also that it was against his 'best friend' Lando.

I was concerned that Lando wouldn't have the balls to take it to Max. It looks like he might have and we could see some fireworks over the rest of the season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Max should at the very least be stripped of any championship points. If Lando gets zero then so should that twat.

Was a great race though between the pair though!
I didn't see people saying this when Hamilton put Verstappen in the wall and hospital at Silverstone lmao.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very entertaining race and, to a degree, what we’ve been asking for.

Max proving again he’s a great driver when no one challenges him. But as soon as he has competition he’s a dangerous spoiled child who cheats his way to points.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I didn't see people saying this when Hamilton put Verstappen in the wall and hospital at Silverstone lmao.
Because they’re not the same scenario?

Hamilton vs Verstappen was a clear racing incident, whereas this was a clear takeout by Verstappen.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
That was one incident after Max had been driving like a **** in a few races before that. Max drives like that EVERY time he’s pushed hard, Hamilton didn’t and doesn’t. I think Hamilton just decided to drive like Max at Silverstone that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here