Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2024

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
60% chance of a wet race, including thunderstorms.

Let’s hope we don’t get Spa 2021 with the first two places reversed.

A wet/dry with strategy cockups is fine with me though.
The much delayed rain interrupted race that Button won years ago was one of the all time great watches. Health and safety will put the kibosh on anything similar now sadly. Not Lewis’ finest race!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They’re talented drivers in multi-million pound machines which are some of the safest ever built, if they can’t hack a bit of rain then what’s the point

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
They’re talented drivers in multi-million pound machines which are some of the safest ever built, if they can’t hack a bit of rain then what’s the point

This I imagine is what has ramped up the reluctance to let them race in the rain :down:

Jules Bianchi in Japan

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 51

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’m actually intending to watch this one, so if it turns out to be 20 F1 cars following the safety car around the track, it will precisely match my current expectations of modern F1.

Let’s hope a motor race doesn’t break out, eh?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This I imagine is what has ramped up the reluctance to let them race in the rain :down:

Jules Bianchi in Japan
Which was undoubtedly tragic but also had extraneous causes beyond just the rain

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What a fantastic race.

Not the winner I wanted but the track, conditions, drivers and mechanics delivered. One of the most exciting races since Max and Lewis were duelling in every Grand Prix.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Well, the usual suspect won, but the safety cars weren’t too intrusive and there was genuinely entertaining racing. It’s still not as good as MotoGP, because there isn’t the same level of risk, but it exceeded my expectations and was genuinely entertaining.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If only Max had hit that wall harder two laps from the end we’d have had a British 1-2-3

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
So Lewis Hamilton is supposed to be the greatest driver of all time on statistics but is being outdriven by his inexperienced team mate this season?
It's all to do with the car really and probably Schumacher and Senna were better in their prime.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
For some reason thew Canadian Grand Prix is much maligned in some quarters and is certainly a massive come down after all the pomp and ceremony, celeb spotting at Monaco. It does however have the habit of throwing up fabulous races and yesterday was no exception.

Reactions: A1X

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Always late to the post-race discussions (due to only watching the C4 highlights).

Great race, good to see the cars on a wet track, and good to see teams / drivers throwing the dice on strategy. Think Norris got robbed a little by the first safety car (stewards slow to call it out, only doing so after it was too late for Norris to respond but in plenty of time for everyone P2 back to do so), but equally it looked like on the drier track later on he may not have had the pace to hold onto it anyway.

Russell should have won the race, though. Too many errors from him on that last stint while trying to get through the pack. A touch more patience and skill and I suspect he had the pace to be able to catch and pass Verstappen. Missed opportunity there.

I was thinking last week that Red Bull made a mistake committing to 2 more years with Perez so early in the season. My feeling with Perez is that he's a driver who always seems to be more "on it" if there's a contract renewal still pending, and a little less reliable / committed once a contract is signed. He had a shocker.

Interesting as well that Horner openly admitted post-race that they told Perez to deliberately break the rules re: continuing to drive the car around the circuit in an unsafe condition so they could avoid a safety car that might have ruined Verstappen's chances of winning. If they'd done the reverse (ie ordered him to stop the car in a position that would require a safety car) we'd all still be talking about a massive controversy at the moment... Instead, Perez has a grid penalty for Barcelona and a paltry little fine (which no doubt Red Bull will cover).

And we now move into a brief 2 week break between races. Looks like the focus this week will be on Bearman's future, with the hot rumours now being that he's either already signed with Haas for 2025 or is very, very close to doing so with just final i's to dot and t's to cross.

Will we also see more discussion of the announced (but not yet fully signed off) 2026 chassis/aero rules? For those who have missed it:

DRS is gone. But it's replaced by an equivalent system where the chasing driver gets more energy deployment from the MGU-K on straights. On the aero side, moveable aero (front and rear wing configurations) will be available, enabling cars to go into a low-drag mode for straights.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For some reason thew Canadian Grand Prix is much maligned in some quarters and is certainly a massive come down after all the pomp and ceremony, celeb spotting at Monaco. It does however have the habit of throwing up fabulous races and yesterday was no exception.
Honestly one of the best races of the season almost every year. Up there with Spa, Silverstone and Brazil for me as producers of classic races.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Time to update the 2025 (and beyond) driver changes tracker:

Red Bull
1. Verstappen (contract thru 2028; but if Red Bull implodes he'll go early)
2. Perez (signed thru 2026; performance clauses?)

Ferrari
1. Leclerc (long term contract)
2. Hamilton (multi year contract)

McLaren
1. Norris (multi year contract)
2. Piastri (contract thru 2026)

Mercedes
1. Russell (contract thru 2025)
2. Antonelli (Merc junior in F2)

Latest rumour is that Antonelli joining for 2025 is more-or-less a done deal. Could be announced ahead of Barcelona?

Aston Martin
1. Alonso (contract thru 2026 minimum)
2. Stroll (ugh)

VCARB
1. Tsunoda (not sure on duration)
2. Ricciardo (contract expires end of 2024); Lawson

Tsunoda confirmed for at least 2025. The other seat will be either DR or LL; conflicting stories doing the rounds on who'll win that battle. My opinion: if DR can consistently produce Canada form for the rest of the season he'll be confirmed.

Sauber / Audi
1. Hulkenberg (multi year contract)
2. Sainz; Ocon?

Rumour mill on the second seat at Audi is a little quiet at the moment. I think this is pending Sainz' decision, but in the meantime Audi are losing alternatives (eg Tsunoda)

Williams
1. Albon (contract thru 2026 minimum)
2. Sargeant (rumoured to be on race-by-race contract); Bottas; Sainz

It won't be Sargeant, I think we can say that much. Latest is that Sainz has been offered a 4 year contract, with an exit clause in his favour after 2 years if Williams don't improve.

Haas
1. Magnussen (contract expires 2024); Ocon; Zhou
2. Bearman (rumoured)

Bearman is now considered a done deal; just awaiting official signing and announcement. The other seat is being chased by Ocon, but he faces stiff competition from Zhou who could bring sponsorship worth up to $30m with him. Nothing has been officially said re: Magnussen, but the assumption is that he won't be retained.

Alpine
1. Gasly (contract expires 2024)
2. Doohan; Mick Schumacher; Zhou

We now know Ocon is out. Gasly is likely to be renewed and provide continuity (unless Audi come for him if Sainz chooses Williams?). Zhou's rumoured pursuit of a seat at Haas could indicate that Alpine are leaning more towards Doohan. Schumacher remains in the running, but apparently lower in the pecking order.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Interesting ... there's movement today that may be relevant for the future of Kimi Antonelli entering Formula 1. The FIA have today announced that they've amended some of the rules around 17 year olds being able to obtain a Superlicence for Formula 1, making it easier for a request to be made and for that request to be granted (at sole discretion of the FIA). They have also confirmed that such a request has been received for a 17 year old (without naming Antonelli).

Current state of the rumours off the back of this: Mercedes will commit to Antonelli for 2025, but this is delayed because Toto Wolff is still trying to lure Verstappen. In the meantime, it appears the possibility of Antonelli joining Williams at some point this season might be back on the table. Sargeant's error strewn Canadian GP won't be helping his case to retain his seat for the whole season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here