Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got to be honest, take Max and Lewis out of the equation and it was really exciting, loads of moves in the midfield, punctures, different strategies, unfortunately the front 2 are on a different planet to everyone else.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just realised the final round is literally the same time as we’re at home to Spurs FFS

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
What’s the deal with RB’s flapping flap then? Rules are quite clear that no aerodynamic part should move, so are they on thin ice highlighting the Merc’s rear wing when theirs is suspect?

It's a faulty design, not anything deliberate. That flapping around will be slowing them down. They ended up switching from a low downforce to high(er) downforce wing for Qatar because they couldn't get the low downforce one to stop flapping.

When a Red Bull have a broken wing problem they are allowed to just fix it during the session (glue and gaffer tape), or replace it in Parc Ferme between quali and the race.

When Merc have a broken wing problem they get a 20 place grid penalty.

Go figure [emoji2369]

Actually very simple explanation here: in Red Bull's case they were allowed to fix it because they spotted the problem(s) before the car went to scrutineering and under the existing rules requested, and were granted, permission to do repairs. In Merc's case, the car went to the scrutineers without Merc being aware they had an issue (turned out to be loose screws) and subsequently failed the test. The rulebook isn't very flexible from there.

SImilar story re: lack of rulebook flexibility for the Bottas and Verstappen grid penalties at Qatar. Turns out those yellow flags they ignored were not meant to be waved, but the marshall on that post got them out anyway. IMO both drivers were hard done because they've been trained (by the FIA) to look for yellow flag notices on their steering wheels and the flags are only really for back-up. The central decision makers had decided no yellow was necessary, so there were no notices on the steering wheel. It's likely both of them had their attention on the wrong side of the track (checking Gasly's position on the inside, while the marshal waving the flag was on the outside). Having said that, though, it is the driver's responsibility to look for the flags and obey them if they are out. it is, however, just a little bit stupid that a marshal going off piste can be allowed to have a potentially big impact on proceedings.

--------------

Thought it was a good race in the end. Hamilton cruised to an easy win, but enjoyed the racing further back. Was a surprise as everything leading into the race suggested overtaking would be difficult, but ultimately it turned out they could make passes into / through T1.

So 2 races to go. On paper it looks like Hamilton must now be title favourite again. Probability IMO is that go into the final race tied on points, winner takes all. In theory you'd have to think that Saudi favours Mercedes. Long straights, fast corners, and Red Bull's low downforce rear wing is giving them trouble. All depends, though, on whether the circuit ends up being front-tyre or rear-tyre limited. Talk is that the RB is quicker when tracks are rear-limited, Mercedes quicker when front limited. And then the final race at Abu Dhabi. Red Bull won it last year, but widely believed with the title already sown up Mercedes sacrificed it to run a sort-of test session for this year. And then the track itself has also been changed in an attempt to make the racing better. Will those changes favour RB or Merc?

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The FIA clarified that the Marshall waving flags was entirely correct to do so. Horner had to apologise to him personally and is now going on a Marshall’s training course in Feb so that he can fully understand how it all works

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So 2 races to go. On paper it looks like Hamilton must now be title favourite again.

Hamilton was the favourite in the betting markets before Qatar, although his odds have drifted slightly since lights out yesterday, presumably because Verstappen got the very best result possible given the circumstances.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Hamilton was the favourite in the betting markets before Qatar, although his odds have drifted slightly since lights out yesterday, presumably because Verstappen got the very best result possible given the circumstances.

Yeah, I take the betting markets with a grain of salt at the moment. Too many variables, too many races where the "on paper" stronger team has been weaker. We won't know which team is going to be stronger at either of the final races until we actually get there. Theory is Merc should be strong at both, but then the theory has been wrong so many times this season.

Even Qatar, going into the race the talk was it would be rear-limited and thus favour RB, turned out to be front-limited and thus favoured Mercedes. Certainly going to be a very interesting final 2 races. I'm expecting Hamilton's engine advantage (a very fresh engine to stick back in having used the older engine for Qatar) will prove decisive, as RB will be forced to be conservative with their older engine in Verstappen's car.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Personally I'd hoped they'd give Horner a grid penalty for the next race and he'd have to watch it from the Haas garage

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
As Murray Walker once said

Anything can happen in Formula 1

And it usually does

As it stands only Verstappen can become WC in the next race
Now that would be an anti-climax

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Yeah, I take the betting markets with a grain of salt at the moment. Too many variables, too many races where the "on paper" stronger team has been weaker. We won't know which team is going to be stronger at either of the final races until we actually get there. Theory is Merc should be strong at both, but then the theory has been wrong so many times this season.

Even Qatar, going into the race the talk was it would be rear-limited and thus favour RB, turned out to be front-limited and thus favoured Mercedes. Certainly going to be a very interesting final 2 races. I'm expecting Hamilton's engine advantage (a very fresh engine to stick back in having used the older engine for Qatar) will prove decisive, as RB will be forced to be conservative with their older engine in Verstappen's car.

Well seeing how Max went from 7th to 4th by first corner yesterday with VB getting out his way as well*, maybe RB will take a new ICE and look to start from 6th/7th again???

*What was that about? Surely race prep before the off TW would have made it quite clear to VB that he must get elbows out and even take on for the team? Yet passed by the 1st corner and back in 11th after 1st lap :mad:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well seeing how Max went from 7th to 4th by first corner yesterday with VB getting out his way as well*, maybe RB will take a new ICE and look to start from 6th/7th again???

*What was that about? Surely race prep before the off TW would have made it quite clear to VB that he must get elbows out and even take on for the team? Yet passed by the 1st corner and back in 11th after 1st lap :mad:

Bottas had a shocker getting off the line, he never had a chance to get in Max's way. Either his reaction time was poor, or he got the launch wrong.

Conversely, Verstappen nailed his start. If Alonso hadn't chopped him between T1 and T2 he probably would have been even better than 4th at the end of lap 1.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bottas had a shocker getting off the line, he never had a chance to get in Max's way. Either his reaction time was poor, or he got the launch wrong.

Conversely, Verstappen nailed his start. If Alonso hadn't chopped him between T1 and T2 he probably would have been even better than 4th at the end of lap 1.

It was pretty clear from how they all went to the left of the track (or right as we looked at it) on the formation lap that 7th on the clean side was much better than 6th on the dirty as a grid position. That notwithstanding when you look at the start from Max's onboard his launch and timing were millimetre perfect and he was 5th before you really noticed it.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
here's a photo of that podium MB was talking about

20211122_104751.jpg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It was pretty clear from how they all went to the left of the track (or right as we looked at it) on the formation lap that 7th on the clean side was much better than 6th on the dirty as a grid position. That notwithstanding when you look at the start from Max's onboard his launch and timing were millimetre perfect and he was 5th before you really noticed it.

Dirty side played a part, but Bottas got the worst launch even on that side (except maybe Vettel).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a total aside my son now has one of those pedal and wheel kits for the F1 (and other driving) game on Xbox and I had a go on Friday night. His settings are all assists off, traction control off but full automatic gearbox. We turned the damage settings off. I tried five laps round Bahrain which I'm pretty good at with the hand controller. Ran wide at turn one, spun at almost every corner putting the juice on too early and would have DNFd by turn 5 with damage on. First lap was about 3 minutes. And it was mighty uncomfortable. It really reinforced to me how super talented you have to be just to drive these things at all, never mind at the speeds the 20 guys on the grid attain. And also that these E-Sports drivers must actually be pretty decent.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a total aside my son now has one of those pedal and wheel kits for the F1 (and other driving) game on Xbox and I had a go on Friday night. His settings are all assists off, traction control off but full automatic gearbox. We turned the damage settings off. I tried five laps round Bahrain which I'm pretty good at with the hand controller. Ran wide at turn one, spun at almost every corner putting the juice on too early and would have DNFd by turn 5 with damage on. First lap was about 3 minutes. And it was mighty uncomfortable. It really reinforced to me how super talented you have to be just to drive these things at all, never mind at the speeds the 20 guys on the grid attain. And also that these E-Sports drivers must actually be pretty decent.

Likewise my son is pretty good, set up a race in Canada in the pissing rain in a Lotus 49, he was competitive, and changing gears . . . . I crashed 4 times in one lap!

It'll be very interesting to see how he gets on in a real car soon . . . . . I'm still a gnats quicker in Karts, but his reaction times are greased lightning, and he's 20kg lighter than me!!!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Dirty side played a part, but Bottas got the worst launch even on that side (except maybe Vettel).

I think Bottas was texting his mum when the lights went. He downed tools a while ago. Heart isn't in it, he's never underperformed compared to Hamilton as he is doing now, evidence can be heard with Toto Wolff losing his patience with him over the radio. It's a shame because he should be competing at the front.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Likewise my son is pretty good, set up a race in Canada in the pissing rain in a Lotus 49, he was competitive, and changing gears . . . . I crashed 4 times in one lap!

It'll be very interesting to see how he gets on in a real car soon . . . . . I'm still a gnats quicker in Karts, but his reaction times are greased lightning, and he's 20kg lighter than me!!!

Ha ha that is always the line I use if my son gets a faster lap than me in karts...well I am 13 stone!! He always comes back with 'you get better downforce' :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here