Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extras - Well?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
I'd review this whole thread as a cheeky little 6.7.
Your superb use of the word "cheeky" has nudged it up towards the 7.0 mark.

It would've been nearer 8 if it wasn't for US's appalling misinterpretation of Gervais's comedy with regards to disability.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gervais said in Extra's 1 to whashername, when a girl with palsy came into the room, " look at that girl is she pissed ". So it is not really taking the piss out of people who are uncomfortable with disabled people.

Watch it again ,

poor review of my review 2.2

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Spielberg said:
Gervais said in Extra's 1 to whashername, when a girl with palsy came into the room, " look at that girl is she pissed ". So it is not really taking the piss out of people who are uncomfortable with disabled people.

Watch it again ,

poor review of my review 2.2
But it was. Two things:
1. Most people, if they saw someone lurching about might assume they were pissed and say just that to their mates without assuming, as perhaps one should, that the person had a disability.
2. Comedy can be about breaking taboos, and that can be funny in itself - Gervais did play it very near the knuckle with the jokes about the black bloke in the Office, for example, (although there was nothing there for the dedicated racist, unlike, say Alf Garnett).

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Uncle Spielberg said:
Gervais said in Extra's 1 to whashername, when a girl with palsy came into the room, " look at that girl is she pissed ".

Yes, and he was made to look like an idiot.

You of all people must recognise that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was all superb, and Gervais is a a complete god.

And how anyone couldn't find last night funny I don't know.

And I agree with Wozza he doesn't take the piss out of disabled people, he takes the piss out of those taking the piss by making them look sad. Very different in my view.

Some posts on here are very condescending aren't they? if you laugh, its funny, end of.

Does my use of condescending push the thread rating up to 7.2?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
9.1 now on the ground that no-one posted for three hours

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I thought the reference to OF&H was sound. In its early days it had its place but the longer it went on the lowere the quality dropped. Looking back now it is dated and I would not watch it ever again. The writers seemed to work backwards to me - think of a "funny" end then put together a contrived story to get there.

Fawlty Towers on the other hand will stand the test of time.

As to RG yes he can put together good scripts. I liked the office, but still I think there is something missing in extras. Bringing in a top star to send themselves up is wearing thin now.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
I think it's very funny, not laugh out loud funny like The office but it's very clever. The bits with Merchant and Barry are brilliant.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm a big Gervais fan but tbh having finally caught that Bowie episode on Sunday I was disappointed big time. Gervais and Merchant are just rehasing the same old jokes from the Office over and over. Half the tramp sketch material had been used before in The Office - when he realised he'd offered Dawn too much for helping him out on his public speaking engagement, and most of the other material was a recycled Brent.

daveyboybhafc2

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
1. Most people, if they saw someone lurching about might assume they were pissed and say just that to their mates without assuming, as perhaps one should, that the person had a disability. [/B][/QUOTE]

My housemate at Uni once saw someone being carried down the stairs and said in a loud voice, 'ha ha look at that guy, he's wasted' we then watched as the guy was helped into his wheelchair at the bottom while everyone gave us filthy looks.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
I have liked the first 2 episodes alot. Agree with someone above that it's not laugh out loud funny when you're watching, but it is damn clever and well written.

Not sure about this weeks one though - Harry Potter?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here