Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extras - Well?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's very dark, very funny and the acting is magnificent, every time. And the fact that the sitcom now has a superb "Only Fools And Horses" theme tune makes it even better.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Man of Harveys said:
It's very dark, very funny and the acting is magnificent, every time. And the fact that the sitcom now has a superb "Only Fools And Horses" theme tune makes it even better.

Do you remember, as i now do, that the last 5 years or so of Only Fools and Horses weren't funny? Simply because he'd found wealth and comfort. His difficulty had no baring on his working class continuance. So it was simply catchphrases.
Extras has a main character who has too much money for what he's used to and shockingly resembles both Gervais as hiimself struggling with a comedy show he's unsure of and Larry David in the past 5 years or so of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Me, as an audience, finds trouble in locating the hilarity in a poorly-harvested elongated sketch repeated week by week.

It made me angry last night. How can i lose thought to believe in his quarrel with Bowie? I cannae.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meade's_Ball said:
Do you remember, as i now do, that the last 5 years or so of Only Fools and Horses weren't funny? Simply because he'd found wealth and comfort. His difficulty had no baring on his working class continuance. So it was simply catchphrases.
Extras has a main character who has too much money for what he's used to and shockingly resembles both Gervais as hiimself struggling with a comedy show he's unsure of and Larry David in the past 5 years or so of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Me, as an audience, finds trouble in locating the hilarity in a poorly-harvested elongated sketch repeated week by week.

It made me angry last night. How can i lose thought to believe in his quarrel with Bowie? I cannae.
I agree with you regarding Only Fools & Horses. It was utter shit in the last 5 years. But I admire Gervais for his decision to abandon the cash cow that was the Office and move in a different direction - and it's worked a treat (for me). Extras appears to be a vehicle for him to exhorcise a lot of his hang ups. For example, the bit where he first sees the sad fan who insists on him doing his catchphrase and the face. You can imagine that he is sending himself up after his first season doing The Office.

And what about the "When the Whistle blows" thing. It's absolute genius - he's observed some of the shit aspects of utterly toilet sit coms, and worked them into his story. And the reviews are quality - especially the one where his useless agent walks in reading a review of "Wind in the Willows". .. "Oh yeah, what's yours called again?" :D

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
i love extras thought the first episode of the new series was fantastic. However I felt a bit let down by last nights I don't really know why it just wasn't that funny

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Simster said:
I agree with you regarding Only Fools & Horses. It was utter shit in the last 5 years.

I disagree with you regarding OF&H - it was utter shit full stop, let alone the last 5 years.

On the subject of Mitchell and Web, they have some good sketches but it's all stretched a bit too thinly to make much of it laugh out loud funny, and a lot of it is just rehashing the same material. Even Numberwang was shit this week compared to last week when I was pissing myself laughing.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its odd - I like Extras but don't view it as a comedy....

as for the Heroin sketch in mitchell and webb - i thought it was appalling....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I thought last night was possible the best and most under stated episode yet. It was very dark and thoughtful. The Bowie sing along was a classic moment in TV history similar if not better than the Dance in the Office.

Millman turned his nose up at his fans , the people " from the hills have eyes " in the pub and wanted to go to the plastic celeb's and hangers on bar where he was roundly abused.

The moment when he went back into his local and to get noticed said " is he aving a flaff " was a bittersweet moment , on the money and moving in a way.

This was a superb episode and great performances from Gervais and Barry from Eastenders in particular.

Gervais when he is good is very very good. What I don't like and I think lets him down is the piss taking about handicapped people, we saw it in the Office and we saw it in Extra's 1, now I know the handicapped people are in on the joke but it just aint funny and shows an unpleasant side to him. Stick to episodes like last night Ricky.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
When he paid £60 to sit in the 'VIP' area, then Merchant and Barrie sat next to him with just the rope in between - absolute classic.
:lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Too many good things in it to pick anything out. There's not too much original comedy about so Extras is welcomed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Uncle Spielberg said:
Gervais when he is good is very very good. What I don't like and I think lets him down is the piss taking about handicapped people, we saw it in the Office and we saw it in Extra's 1, now I know the handicapped people are in on the joke but it just aint funny and shows an unpleasant side to him.

He takes the piss out of folk who are awkward in the company of people with disabilities. It's called acting.

Your review of Extras: 3.2

Or maybe 3.3

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Wozza said:
He takes the piss out of folk who are awkward in the company of people with disabilities. It's called acting.

Your review of Extras: 3.2

Or maybe 3.3

a review of the review?

well why not: your review of US's review of extras:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I bet that Bowie song will be drooled over by fans though - it was pretty good!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
I've reviewed your review of US's review and I give you 6.1, not wordy enough, could do better!
I must say, I really like the style of your review of Afters' review of US' review - 7.6.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Man of Harveys said:
I must say, I really like the style of your review of Afters' review of US' review - 7.6.

a point of order: it was ted's review of my review of wozza's review of US's review harvs.

and i liked yours too: 5.4

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd review this whole thread as a cheeky little 6.7.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here