Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excuses have started already - The Argus

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.933673.0..php

Henderson back in the squad
By Andy Naylor
Wayne Henderson is back in first team contention for Albion.

The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper has been restored to the squad for tomorrow's game at Carlisle following a clear-the-air meeting yesterday morning with caretaker duo Dean Wilkins and Dean White.

He replaces youngster John Sullivan and is pushing to start after Michel Kuipers was at fault for Southend's equaliser in Albion's dramatic 3-2 exit from the Carling Cup on Tuesday.

continued...
Henderson was available after international duty for the Seagulls' visit to Millwall earlier this month but Wilkins kept faith with Kuipers for his first match in charge and the home game against Bournemouth three days later.

Henderson handed in a transfer request on the afternoon of the Bournemouth clash. He was axed from the squad and his request was subsequently rejected by the club.

Sullivan has been on the bench as cover for Kuipers since then but Henderson will now be competing with the Dutchman after playing in the first half of a friendly at Broadbridge Heath on Thursday night.

Wilkins said: "Wayne admitted to us the timing of his request was not the best. He has not been involved since then, because we weren't sure if he was in the right frame of mind.

"We have been monitoring him in training and John Keeley (goalkeeping coach) told us he has been working his socks off.

"He was outstanding at Broadbridge Heath and we must remember he is a top-class international goalkeeper. He says he is ready to play if we need him."

The fit-again Georges Santos, the suspension-free Richard Carpenter and previously out-of-favour striker Maheta Molango have been added to the squad on duty at Southend.

Albion are unbeaten in three League One outings under Wilkins but he knows it won't be easy to stretch that record against last season's League Two champions.

"They are difficult to break down," he said. "They've only conceded three goals in six games, so I think it will be tight.

"If we do anything like we have been doing recently, play with confidence and commitment within the plans we have tried to set out, I think we'll be fine."

Meanwhile, Albion's hopes of landing a loan signing from Birmingham have been dashed.

White said: "I have spoken to the manager of a Championship club (Steve Bruce). The problem is the player I was after played very well in the League Cup on Tuesday and he wants to keep him."

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I'd LOVE to say i'm suprised.

Same old, same old.

That's why we need a manager with LOTS of contacts, so we have a fall back plan, with Wilkins as assistant.

In MY opinion.

:)

Substitute

Banned
Sep 20, 2006
Withdean Wanderer said:
I'd LOVE to say i'm suprised.

Same old, same old.

That's why we need a manager with LOTS of contacts, so we have a fall back plan, with Wilkins as assistant.

In MY opinion.

:)

:yawn:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What is so surprising? If we wanted a player on loan from Birmingham, it isn't going to be a first team player. So hopefully it would be one of the better fringe players. Fringe players are often played in the League Cup, and so this is always possible.

What it tells me is that the club had indeed identified the best of the fringe players. Just bad luck he caught the Brum manager's eye at the wrong moment. Credit the club for spotting the best potential. I'm pleased they aren't willing to take on just anybody simply to keep the moaners on here happy (well, happy until they turn on the new signing).

Well, at least this is good news about Hendo.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
They're in a no win situation with transfer targets. If they don't say anything then there'll be plenty of people complaining that we're not trying. However it is getting a little irksome always dangling the prospect of a new signing only to be told that it's fallen through.

Good news that Henderson has at least realised the poor timing of his request and is back in first team contention. Healthy competition for places never hurt anybody.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Probably been said but to my mind any player that hands in a transfer request can just f*** off altogether! They obviously don't want to be at the club. If he'd taken it on the chin and just tried to earn his place back as Kuipers has done several times then I would have more respect for him.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Juan Albion said:
What is so surprising? If we wanted a player on loan from Birmingham, it isn't going to be a first team player. So hopefully it would be one of the better fringe players. Fringe players are often played in the League Cup, and so this is always possible.

What it tells me is that the club had indeed identified the best of the fringe players. Just bad luck he caught the Brum manager's eye at the wrong moment. Credit the club for spotting the best potential. I'm pleased they aren't willing to take on just anybody simply to keep the moaners on here happy (well, happy until they turn on the new signing).

ha ha, funny not many people could say this when MM was here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
just wish the club would say nothing about transfers . Its like the boy who cried wolf. No need to publically talk about players we only have a slim chance of signing . No need at all. And the story about Dichio must surely of been a made up story

Good Henderson has his attitude right again , would give Kuipers the nod though

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
After DJ Campbell then were we?

I don't think it was him too be honest as he is playing fairly regularly, my guess is it was either Neil Kilkenny centre midfielder, or Marcos Painter who as far as I can see is a left back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
The Brum's team from Tuesday night:

Doyle, Kelly, Martin Taylor, Tebily, Painter, Larsson, Muamba (Dunn 90), Kilkenny, McSheffrey, Forssell (Campbell 64), Jerome (Bendtner 64).

My guesses would be - Painter or Kilkenny.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Bendtner is on loan from Arsenal. Forsell would be good!

... or would have been good.

Being choosey with who we bring in is advisable. Especially after Mr McCammon. He looked to be the answer, but as we all know now had no ability whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here