Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evolution debate.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is my understanding that God exists in some form. Through science, philosophy and good old fashioned intuition I have reached that conclusion.

I feel all religious descriptions of God are all very similar, even from the monotheistic and polytheistic interpretations we can see countless similarities. However it is clear that many religions have been amended and corrupted throughout history for either political or social reasons. What's important is that historically people have always had an innate knowledge of something greater than ourselves, the reason for existence that we are somehow a part of - we just have always had a hard tough describing it, but now we're closer than ever.

So to answer your question, yes I believe they do - but that's not to say we can't learn certain things from them. Buddhism in particular makes a lot of claims which can be compared to modern philosophical interpretations of quantum physics.

Buddhism is not manipulted by man to gain an advantage over over fellow man so it seems more of a rational belief. Although even in Budhism, Buddha taught that wives should be obedient to their husbands.

There is always a hierarchy in religious movements and not everyone is equal, and the mere mortal teacher is empowered and worshipped as a connection to God. My biggest problem with a religious belief system is that the human mind is susceptible to being indoctrinated especially when we are younger.

Even teaching a religion could be considered fulfilling ones egotistical desire because the end result is owning and dictating to followers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gods/Religion/Faith are a hangover from when less developed peoples couldn't explain natural phenomena and early farmers who wanted a good harvest. That's all.

The early religions worshipped earth and the seasons for what they symbolised and celebrated them for the food and rebirth they gave. Makes sense.

I really don't think it helps us to be believing in Gods at this stage in our evolution and it's really not a tool for bettering the human race.

A brilliant book for an exploration of themes like this is Neal Stephenson's 'Diamond Age'. An incredible work in scope and narrative looking at themes such as human programming, binary systems and the origins of Eastern and Western philosophies all wrapped up in an enjoyable novel.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Alien visitors in our distant past make more sense than a 'god'.

You say that aliens visiting make more sense than a God to you but I bet my mortgage that the idea of anti-matter makes no sense to you either. Your belief system is based on something that you just don't understand.

This is the kind of deliberately dismissive approach that I find bewildering. You've no proof that God exists or is a fallacy but you are ready to reject it out of hand whilst on the other hand accepting that the Big Bang is just a theory and if scientists came along with another more credible theory then you would happily believe that new theory. You're ready to drop belief in a system that you haven't the faintest scoobies about for potentially another as yet unproved yet simply refuse to accept the notion of a God because there's no proof ...yet and there's a fair few screwballs doing and saying strange things in the name of this hypothetical God.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Gods/Religion/Faith are a hangover from when less developed peoples couldn't explain natural phenomena and early farmers who wanted a good harvest. That's all.

The early religions worshipped earth and the seasons for what they symbolised and celebrated them for the food and rebirth they gave. Makes sense.

I really don't think it helps us to be believing in Gods at this stage in our evolution and it's really not a tool for bettering the human race.

Well since the year 2000, spirituality has exploded and is showing no signs of stopping. I don't see how you can't say it's not better for us when it encourages all to love each other.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Religion, and its various 'churches' are the cause of more deaths on this planet than probably anything else.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well one could argue atheism encourages nihilism, apathy, greed, hedonism and apartness - ways of thinking that are in tune with people to be further exploited by the current capitalist system. However being in tune with reality and ones spirituality gives people an inner strength and feeling of togetherness, both as communities and societies, to oppose this kind of exploitation by remembering and valuing what is truly important. So perhaps atheism is a control tool and is why religion is so perpetually demonised and atheism promoted in the mainstream media.

You see, that's the common mistake and oft cried claim of the religious, that anyone who doesn't believe must be nihilistic, hedonistic, greedy, and apart. Somehow less than those who believe. Judgmental, solipsistic, ignorant and above all, incorrect.

A pointless debate with some pointless people. I'm off for a deli lunch and a shit. Peace and F*cking X

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Atheism is the absence of belief in God. It has no other defining or qualifying criteria. There is no unifying characterisation of who can be an atheist other than not believing in God. How can this be a control tool?

I personally see athiesm as a liberator (not the ship from Blakes Seven though)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well one could argue atheism encourages nihilism, apathy, greed, hedonism and apartness - ways of thinking that are in tune with people to be further exploited by the current capitalist system. However being in tune with reality and ones spirituality gives people an inner strength and feeling of togetherness, both as communities and societies, to oppose this kind of exploitation by remembering and valuing what is truly important. So perhaps atheism is a control tool and is why religion is so perpetually demonised and atheism promoted in the mainstream media.

Atheism encourages nothing. It isn't a movement, or has anything to say other than not having a belief in God. It cannot encourage any behaviour other than not believing in a religion.

Onto your point, you seem to be suggesting therefore that the absence of a belief in God encourages nihilism, apathy, greed, hedonism and apartness. Are you seriously suggesting that people of religion do not also exhibit these characteristics?

Do you not believe it possible to have spirituality, inner strength and togetherness without being part of a religion!?

Jan 10, 2014
2dhbe4y.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If God exists, does religion misrepresent the truth of a God?
Of course. Because if a god exists, 99% of the world religions must be wrong (simply because they disagree with each other).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
are you dismissing it ;-)

It's not really relevant but a part of me thinks we could possibly be the only living things in the universe. The sheer chance of life existing on earth seems so slim that it's entirely plausible we're the only ones. I've heard very well-respected astrophysicists arguing this case. On the other hand there could be intelligent life elsewhere but the distances involved and the technology required suggests that if they'd visited once then they would have left a bigger mark and visited more often and more visibly. What would they have to fear with all that technology at their disposal?

I haven't got the foggiest about intelligent life elsewhere but I sincerely doubt in the lifetime of the earth that we have been or ever will be visited by aliens and if they did then it comes down to concepts/technologies that are way beyond the human ability to understand or recreate. And if that's the case it's futile even trying to explain.

And to bring this full circle - that's what I think about the origins of the universe, the truth is far beyond human comprehension which is why the science v creation debate will never be resolved.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Do I believe in Evolution? Yes
Do I believe in Creationism? No

However I also believe from reading and talking to evolutionists that there are holes in evolutionary theory that may lead us elsehwere (not towards creationism though).

I also accept the possibility that evolution could have been triggered by 'God'.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't forget over 80% of our own planet is uninhabitable. And we're a Trillion to one chance occurrence. I doubt there's life out there. I know there's no God. Here's what the earth provided for me though.

I got salt beef, pickles, rocket, horseradish, and all manner of veggie/salady goodness going on in a Deli wrap. If they start handing that shizzle out down at St Paul's give me a shout until then I'll treat it as it appears to me, slightly dumb people who don't have the guts, strength or impetus to go out into their community or the wider world and do good without having to be guided by a higher force and do it in the name of someone else. You're all capable of doing it without having to bow before a deity. Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't forget over 80% of our own planet is uninhabitable. And we're a Trillion to one chance occurrence. I doubt there's life out there. I know there's no God. Here's what the earth provided for me though.

I got salt beef, pickles, rocket, horseradish, and all manner of veggie/salady goodness going on in a Deli wrap. If they start handing that shizzle out down at St Paul's give me a shout until then I'll treat it as it appears to me, slightly dumb people who don't have the guts, strength or impetus to go out into their community or the wider world and do good without having to be guided by a higher force and do it in the name of someone else. You're all capable of doing it without having to bow before a deity. Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.

That pre-supposes that all believers believe in an interventionist God. I know for a fact that Nick Cave doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here