Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everyone I seem to talk to is anti Andy Murray

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
At the end of the day he's Scottish. It cannot have escaped anybody's attention that the Scots are not the most fervent supporters of English sports teams and it's no surprise that Murray shares this view. I'd rather have his cavalier attitiude to England than Gordon Brown pretending he wanted England to win the 2006 World Cup; to hear those sentiments delivered in a Scottish accent just sounded so WRONG. It sounded like he'd been taken over by an alien. An alien that hadn't done its research very well.

Being a long-time fan of tennis, and always having watched Wimbledon, I just want to see great matches.

If someone from my own street were in it, I might prefer them to do well - but still not at the cost of the best quality for the game.

I was never keen on MacEnroe, because I felt he tried unsporting tactics to upset his opponents and put them off their game. I doubt I'll see that from Andy Murray. His match vs Wawrinka was excellent, and it was tense, but if Wawrinka had won it then he would have deserved to go through.... and that would not have made me disappointed.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It was a portugal shirt and he is a twat, hope he gets knocked out

No it wasn't. And it he didn't say it anyway.

Not forgetting of course, "Andy, who are you supporting at the World Cup?"
Andy, "anyone playing England."

As any self-respecting Scotsman should.

Or would you prefer it if he pretended he wanted England to win it?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
At the end of the day he's Scottish. It cannot have escaped anybody's attention that the Scots are not the most fervent supporters of English sports teams and it's no surprise that Murray shares this view.

Oh no, et tu Brute?...for about the very millionthed time: Murray was JOKING. He then got stitched up and a number of knuckle-dragging arse-breathing mongs, of which you're clearly not one and who clearly can't envisage a situation whereby a sports hack takes a passing gag and puffs it up for effect, bought it hook, link and sinker.

"Murray was joking" is rapidly becoming the new "fixtures", a summer favourite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This whole "Murray doesn't want England to win" stuff is just a bit of BANTER for christs sake. I can't believe people take it so seriously.

I don't like Murray very much, but I think thats more to do with his hair and the way he talks, the spotty morose scottish gimp. But despite that, I still found myself ROOTING for him against Wawrinka, and I think I even did a little henman FIST clench on one of the points as well.

You just get drawn in, don't you.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh no, et tu Brute?...for about the very millionthed time: Murray was JOKING. He then got stitched up and a number of knuckle-dragging arse-breathing mongs, of which you're clearly not one and who clearly can't envisage a situation whereby a sports hack takes a passing gag and puffs it up for effect, bought it hook, link and sinker.

"Murray was joking" is rapidly becoming the new "fixtures", a summer favourite.
Oh yes, I wasn't really referring to that (not being a tennis fan I hadn't even realised he'd been reported as making anti-English comments). What I was saying was - he's Scottish, and regardless of what he said, what he really said, what he was reported to have said, what he meant to say, what he really thinks, what shirt he wore, what shirt he didn't wear, etc etc etc - I don't expect him to be an enthusiastic supporter of England. It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other whether he cries himself to sleep when England lose or if he laughs his head off. By the sound of it he's somewhere between the two.

I wonder if people on here would support him more or less if he was English but an avid Palace fan?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Shouldn't we be pleased that we have the world's third best player who should only get better in the future?

Don't really get the miserable comments - he does show he has a sense of humour in interviews. He's just a focused, successful sportsman. We should celebrate that - not have a go at him for not being a stand-up comedian.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If i remember rightly the whole line of questioning was

English Journo - Will you be supporting Scotland in the world cup ? - (Scotland being knocked out a couple of weeks previous)
Young naive scottish tennis player - Yeah, of course
English Journo - Who will you be supporting then ?
Young naive scottish tennis player - Whoever is playing England

I'd rather support someone with a bit of aggression and spirit like Murray than Tiger Tim

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
It makes me laugh how so many people can get manipulated by the media, it shows an extraordinary level of ignorance and illiteracy.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say it's a similair thing to hatred people feel for X Factor and Big Brother. The media and people constantly going on about something that you don't really care about turns you against something

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I don't particularly like tennis but I am a sports fan so I take a passing interest.

There are a lot of similarities to be drawn with the hatred of Murray for the hatred of some footballers. Just because he is world class, doesn't make him a decent bloke. His dismissiveness of ball girls/boys and general moody exterior make him difficult to like for anyone who is not really a fan of the sport.

I'd rather have his cavalier attitiude to England than Gordon Brown pretending he wanted England to win the 2006 World Cup; to hear those sentiments delivered in a Scottish accent just sounded so WRONG. It sounded like he'd been taken over by an alien. An alien that hadn't done its research very well.

Although, to be fair, a poll conducted at the time of the last World Cup showed that a little over half of Scots wouldn't mind England doing well, or actively supported England.

Now, of course, by "Scots" it was meant "people living in Scotland", many of whom are English or of other nationalities with no problem with the English. And, of course, you should remember that some Rangers bigots refuse to support Scotland and so support NI and/or England instead. But it still represents a hefty amount of born-Scots living in Scotland willing to see England do well, so Gordon Brown saying it shouldn't be seen as that surprising.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
oh come on all us english would love the jocks to win the world cup when ingerland get knocked out , would"nt we?

I always support Scotland in footie matches unless they are playing England (as well as Wales and NI). That is the whole point here, there is a general consensus that every Scotsman wants England to Lose and every Englishman wants Scotland to lose. I don't believe that is the case, in fact I know it is not the case. But for the purposes of hype and nonsense it has to be seen that way. Having said that, I don't care for Murray as a person based on his TV interviews, perhaps I have got over the Paraguay thing, but I wouldn't cheer for him in the tennis. Have to say though, he is a good player, and has a good chance of winning, let me know if he does.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I always support Scotland in footie matches unless they are playing England (as well as Wales and NI). That is the whole point here, there is a general consensus that every Scotsman wants England to Lose and every Englishman wants Scotland to lose. I don't believe that is the case, in fact I know it is not the case. But for the purposes of hype and nonsense it has to be seen that way. Having said that, I don't care for Murray as a person based on his TV interviews, perhaps I have got over the Paraguay thing, but I wouldn't cheer for him in the tennis. Have to say though, he is a good player, and has a good chance of winning, let me know if he does.

I think you may just hear about it. I suspect it might make the news- as long as Michael Jackson doesn't die ..... doh !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here