[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
IMG_3187.jpeg

Reactions: cjd

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I wonder if they should simply shortcut it like rugby union. Instructing Hooper; not a foul by Dunk, no pen, yellow card for Calvert for simulation.

That’d be my preference.

The pitchside TV thing is silly.

No one in rugby union claims refs have been undermined.
English footy referees have very little respect (not all unfairly). Sending them over to a monitor for the inevitable only adds to it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I wonder if they should simply shortcut it like rugby union. Instructing Hooper; not a foul by Dunk, no pen, yellow card for Calvert for simulation.

That’d be my preference.

The pitchside TV thing is silly.

No one in rugby union claims refs have been undermined.
I would do the opposite, have refs review every penalty they award themselves to double check, without influence from the VAR people. Then the ref can change his mind by himself without someone else making a 'referees call' judgement

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I know that Sean Dyche will never fail to view refereeing decisions with a partial eye, but what on earth was he blathering on about in his post match press conferences in connection with the reversed penalty decision? DCL jumps and lands on Dunky's foot and Dyche argues that we have to ignore the contact that his player made with our player because it was unintentional, but then award a penalty because, whilst being jumped on, Dunk's foot was 'out of control' in continuing it's natural movement rather than stopping dead to allow Calvert Lewin to get a steady footing. If Dyche jumped on a banana skin, would he blame the banana skin for not keeping him upright? Berk.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I know that Sean Dyche will never fail to view refereeing decisions with a partial eye, but what on earth was he blathering on about in his post match press conferences in connection with the reversed penalty decision? DCL jumps and lands on Dunky's foot and Dyche argues that we have to ignore the contact that his player made with our player because it was unintentional, but then award a penalty because, whilst being jumped on, Dunk's foot was 'out of control' in continuing it's natural movement rather than stopping dead to allow Calvert Lewin to get a steady footing. If Dyche jumped on a banana skin, would he blame the banana skin for not keeping him upright? Berk.
He's trying to deflect from a terrible result and performance after seeing Everton fans voting with their feet during the second half. He's already under pressure. There could well have been prospective new owners sitting in the stands yesterday.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He's trying to deflect from a terrible result and performance after seeing Everton fans voting with their feet during the second half. He's already under pressure. There could well have been prospective new owners sitting in the stands yesterday.
If that's the case he may have been better advised to use some of his new signings. He said in his press conference that he could pick Iroegbunam as he had experience of the EPL and Championship, but had to prepare the likes of Lindstrom for the challenge. Lindstrom's played in Serie A, the Bundesliga, Europa League and Champions League. The two assists for our first two goals were made by players with no experience of the EPL. He said this whilst also talking about the massive importance of 'moments'. He doesn't even listen to what he is saying.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Dyche under pressure?? He's as safe as it gets imho. There's certainly worried fans but the worries are hardly around Dyche.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If that's the case he may have been better advised to use some of his new signings. He said in his press conference that he could pick Iroegbunam as he had experience of the EPL and Championship, but had to prepare the likes of Lindstrom for the challenge. Lindstrom's played in Serie A, the Bundesliga, Europa League and Champions League. The two assists for our first two goals were made by players with no experience of the EPL. He said this whilst also talking about the massive importance of 'moments'. He doesn't even listen to what he is saying.
Was baffling hearing him say that about the new players after the game. Ignoring we gave debuts to 2 players from the Dutch league last year, both instrumental - one of which barely had a pre season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't understand those suggesting that maybe the penalty shouldn't have bene ruled out. You couldn't get a more obvious error.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would do the opposite, have refs review every penalty they award themselves to double check, without influence from the VAR people. Then the ref can change his mind by himself without someone else making a 'referees call' judgement
I don't agree, because we don't have time for a ref to go through every angle looking for something, when often they'll be no need for them to go to the monitor at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here