Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would it

Would it take long? Have someone run on with an ipad for him

I think that usually the players know it's a penalty, everyone gets ready for it to be taken while VAR double check (including offside). They give the all-clear and then the penalty is taken. I think it would take a lot longer for the ref to be reviewing every angle and checking offside on a tablet while players stand around him.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Do you think it would be better if you planned what you were going to say? You seemed to ramble a bit.
Yes.

Rushed it last night as I had made a list of things to do in the 2023/24 season and was already falling behind.

Will be more structured in the future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes.

Rushed it last night as I had made a list of things to do in the 2023/24 season and was already falling behind.

Sounds good. I don't think many people will be able to sit through that whole video (I want a medal for making it).

I'm surprised you thought Veltman was better than at any time since Potter left.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Found this new youtuber who has incredible insights.

Looking like one of the proverbial locust-eating Prophets too. 😂

Some golden nuggets of truth there - be good not to require deep audio mining through the verbosity to get to them though.

Edit - no offence intended btw but the look undermines the credibility of the ’sporting analysis’ a bit and the dialogue
could be tightened up ( more punchy, less rambling) that’s all. 👍

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Sounds good. I don't think many people will be able to sit through that whole video (I want a medal for making it).

I'm surprised you thought Veltman was better than at any time since Potter left.
When I get rich and powerful I'll make you a medal. Indeed well done. I certainly wouldn't have been able to watch all of it...

Veltman didn't fit great into Potters football (at least in some tactics) and even worse into De Zerbis way - too far up the pitch and too much chasing wingers from behind. His strengths is not the crossing or overlapping or tiki-taka play, his strength is to shut down that right wing and putting the easy pass to someone who does the attacking/creation parts of the game better.

Loved to see how "simple" he played against Everton, think it suits him great and as long as he can focus on that, he'll be a very solid defender for another few years.

I know it's not the fashionable thing to praise home fans of grounds we visit (and yes some of them were a bit mean to our lovely Minteh) but I do like Everton fans more than most we come across.

When we got there absurdly early on the coach and me wearing my massive PINK training top, I hadn't bargained with needing to find a pub to kill the time, never mind one full of locals.

My Everton supporting mate who lives abroad directed me to the Abbey. As I approached it, I thought he was setting me up as it was just a rammed sea of their blue!

But they couldn't have been friendlier, beckoning me in, bantering about pre season form and all the usual stuff. One of them was compiling a photographic record of the final season of Goodison, basically wanting to grab a selfie of every colour of away shirt visiting the ground this season. Apologies, but the Albion will be represented by my fat pink face and shirt.

And the worst I got for being a sea of PINK was "SUITS YOU SIR" :lolol:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
now that the dust has settled I want to reiterate my feelings about Everton from the last few seasons which I will carry into this one.

I want them to be relegated. They have done nothing of note in about 15 years. They have most recently stunk the league out and they are even more of an eyesore under Dyche. Time to go down and give another more progressive club a shot. But not Leeds!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
now that the dust has settled I want to reiterate my feelings about Everton from the last few seasons which I will carry into this one.

I want them to be relegated. They have done nothing of note in about 15 years. They have most recently stunk the league out and they are even more of an eyesore under Dyche. Time to go down and give another more progressive club a shot. But not Leeds!
Burnley and a team from Sheffield it is then...

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Found this new youtuber who has incredible insights.

No offence intended, this comment is coming from an out of touch with modern fashions old codger!

I’d get rid of the vagabond look whilst dressed in what look like Albert Steptoe clothes! :wink:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
No offence as this comment is coming from an old codger!

I’d get rid of the vagabond look whilst dressed in what look like Albert Steptoe clothes! :wink:
None taken... never cared about looks or fashion, and I know it shows :) But certainly close to reaching the "gotta get a shave" stage even by my careless standards.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes.

You didn't sound like you were rushing anything, quite the opposite, in fact. I listened to the first 3 minutes, got bored, scrolled to about 8 minutes in, got bored much more quickly and turned it off. I would suggest you work out roughly what you're going to say in advance and then deliver it with some enthusiasm in a faster cadence.
People who smoke weed tend to be overly confident and believe that they have done something better than they actually have.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You didn't sound like you were rushing anything, quite the opposite, in fact. I listened to the first 3 minutes, got bored, scrolled to about 8 minutes in, got bored much more quickly and turned it off. I would suggest you work out roughly what you're going to say in advance and then deliver it with some enthusiasm in a faster cadence.
People who smoke weed tend to be overly confident and believe that they have done something better than they actually have.

Yeah I'm not naturally a fast talker and whenever I watch Youtube videos I really struggle with the way words are uncontrollably pouring out of the mouth, but I guess in 2024 thats how you need to do it and might work for me if I prepare better, like you say. And the feigned yankee enthusiasm on top of that perhaps. Maybe I should get drunk before recording...

People who smoke weed certainly do not tend to be overly confident, I think you're confusing it with crack smokers. Most, if not all, stoners I know are quite paranoid, doesn't want to be seen or noticed and, most importantly, get a level of severly limiting and isolating self-awareness in which they feel insecure about facing the realms outside of their comfort. If you think weed makes people confident in themselves and what they're creating, you've watched too many shite Netflix shows.

In no way, shape or form do I believe this video is "good".

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yeah I'm not naturally a fast talker and whenever I watch Youtube videos I really struggle with the way words are uncontrollably pouring out of the mouth, but I guess in 2024 thats how you need to do it and might work for me if I prepare better, like you say. And the feigned yankee enthusiasm on top of that perhaps. Maybe I should get drunk before recording...

People who smoke weed certainly do not tend to be overly confident, I think you're confusing it with crack smokers. Most, if not all, stoners I know are quite paranoid, doesn't want to be seen or noticed and, most importantly, get a level of severly limiting and isolating self-awareness in which they feel insecure about facing the realms outside of their comfort. If you think weed makes people confident in themselves and what they're creating, you've watched too many shite Netflix shows.

In no way, shape or form do I believe this video is "good".
My son smoked a lot of weed before he did his A levels and was convinced his exam revision was going really well as a consequence, although in reality he was learning next to f*** all. His exams were, fairly obviously, a car crash, albeit not a total write-off. That's the basis of my comments about weed.
Anyway, trying to be constructive, how you say what you say is important to hook the viewer/listener so you need a bit more oomph and to speak more directly(less waffle).
I am looking forward to your review of the Manure match.
Edit: I will also add that my nephew smokes weed all the time as, without it, he doesn't feel able to leave his house and socially interact. So, that's two weed smokers I know who fit the profile I described.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
@Han Solo Whilst I appreciate that English is not your first language I thought you did ok. At least you did not include the phrase "you guys" or used the word "guys"
that a lot of YT are doing. Its as bad as inserting "like" :mad:
Good luck with it.
Thank you.

The "like" part is difficult. I never or rarely use it when speaking English normally but once in front of a camera, where you're supposed to deliver at a certain pace, it just pops into the head as a natural "space filler". I'm hoping to be entirely "like"-free in future videos, its a fight that needs to be fought because it gets very annoying when it slips into every damn sentence.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
My son smoked a lot of weed before he did his A levels and was convinced his exam revision was going really well as a consequence, although in reality he was learning next to f*** all. His exams were, fairly obviously, a car crash, albeit not a total write-off. That's the basis of my comments about weed.
Anyway, trying to be constructive, how you say what you say is important to hook the viewer/listener so you need a bit more oomph and to speak more directly(less waffle).
I am looking forward to your review of the Manure match.
I will agree that in the early stages of weed-smoking, its very different. When I started smoking at 19-20, I wasn't really aware of the actual effects. I could get on a train without understanding or feeling any shame about how f***ing stoned I probably looked. Jumped into various projects without understanding that I could never pull it off while stoned, had a smoke before meeting dates without understanding how sluggish and non-horny I'd be when actually facing her.

Smoking weed delays a lot of natural brain processing so you learn the lessons slowly. Sometimes have to repeat mistakes a couple of times, or have a good friend telling you what-is-what from a perspective you ignored/didn't think of. But once you're five-ten years into it, its all clear to pretty much every stoner. Now in my mid-30s, my conversations with fellow stoners usually revolve around how useless, lazy and unproductive we are.

Hopefully your son will come out of it well - most do. When the disadvantages of smoking become more obvious, its not fun anymore. Those who want to live a good life will stop smoking and those who want to live a non-bad life will often continue; it may not be fun, but its comfortable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here