Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A mixed bag for me but I'm confident he'll grow into it. Feyernoord supporter I know reckons he's the real deal.
Although a bit shakey first half with passes, the amount of niggley interceptions he won today was incredible, something we lacked last year and it made a difference today in us turning over attacks quickly

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It doesn’t matter what it looks like at full speed and one single viewing it’s what the readily available evidence (to use the PLs own words) shows, that showed the ref had made a clear and obvious error so he was rightly called to the screen. Even with the monitor not working properly the decision was made very quickly without micro analysis of each angle. Very much a win for VAR and what it’s meant to do today.
How can the error be 'clear and obvious' if the mistake is understandable when the referee gets one look at full speed? There was contact between the players, not in the way that the referee thought - but it wasn't a complete howler. In fact, VAR appeared to get their reasoning wrong. The commentators, listening to the conversation, said VAR instructed the ref there'd been no contact.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Unless treading on a defenders leg is a penalty then this picture is pretty conclusive that VAR got it spot on today.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    746 KB · Views: 191

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
How can the error be 'clear and obvious' if the mistake is understandable when the referee gets one look at full speed? There was contact between the players, not in the way that the referee thought - but it wasn't a complete howler. In fact, VAR appeared to get their reasoning wrong. The commentators, listening to the conversation, said VAR instructed the ref there'd been no contact.
The clear and obvious definition hasn’t changed. By your definition of it being understandable that the ref has missed it in real time VAR wouldn’t be used for 99.9% of the season.

What has changed is the phrase “use of readily available evidence” that means don’t spend ages analysing every angle. Watch the replay, if it shows something the ref has missed and meets the criteria of clear and obvious then call him over to the screen. Regardless of what the commentators have passed on because they’ve heard the conversation (and let’s face it they were hardly brilliant today with their mis pronouncing names and blatant bias so it’s possible they’ve misheard or mis quoted) it was the correct decision under the new guidelines.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The clear and obvious definition hasn’t changed. By your definition of it being understandable that the ref has missed it in real time VAR wouldn’t be used for 99.9% of the season.

What has changed is the phrase “use of readily available evidence” that means don’t spend ages analysing every angle. Watch the replay, if it shows something the ref has missed and meets the criteria of clear and obvious then call him over to the screen. Regardless of what the commentators have passed on because they’ve heard the conversation (and let’s face it they were hardly brilliant today with their mis pronouncing names and blatant bias so it’s possible they’ve misheard or mis quoted) it was the correct decision under the new guidelines.
Disagree. No point PGMOL making a big, big deal of less VAR intervention this week if it's going to get involved in calls like that. Sure, he stood on Dunk's foot and therefore lost his balance. If Dunk had stayed on his feet, no decision to make. It was the right decision in the end but out of step with the line they'd very publicly said they'd be taking by backing the ref's call. A line which would be better for the game in the long run. We'd have some subjective decisions go for us, some against us, as it always was. There's no reason, other than your supposition, to doubt what the commentators were saying. VAR called him to the monitor because they thought there was no contact at all.

Last edited:

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024

I don't understand your view in this. Yes there was contact between the players. But not in a way that results in a penalty. Dunk is stepped on , he doesn't trip the Everton player. How simple can it be?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I was impressed with how we dealt with hoofball and Wimbledon style football from Everton - we are top of the league!

I have been deluded enough to bet a Northern mate that we will finish above United - £50 stake :eek:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
"It is a very good feeling, but I don't want to talk about myself so much," said Hurzeler to the BBC. "The players, club and staff deserve this win. They worked quite hard in pre-season and I am very proud and happy for them."

"It was a good result. It was a tough game, especially the first minutes. It was really intense and a loud atmosphere and we suffered in some moments, but we defended quite good. After that we tried to control the game and we had very good chances.

"We went 1-0 up and then it was helpful for us to control the game and have ball possession. In the end, a clean sheet is so important to win games in the Premier League and everyone was responsible today in defending their own box.

"It showed the attitude and character of the players so I am very happy for them. It was a good start, nothing more, and now we try to keep working to stay humble after a win like this."

The Ginger Dalek said: "The way we performed in the first half was decent and as good as I was hoping for, but one of the biggest challenges is finding the clinical moments which we didn't do.

"A big decision on the penalty - I can't really work it out. We go to these meetings, we have literally been told the bar is going to be incredibly high for the referee to make a decision; he makes a clear decision from a perfect viewing point and lo and behold he is called over to overturn the decision.

"You are like, what is the point having a high bar then? We are all confused by it."

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't understand your view in this. Yes there was contact between the players. But not in a way that results in a penalty. Dunk is stepped on , he doesn't trip the Everton player. How simple can it be?
My view, like Sky on the match this evening, is that PGMOL made a very big deal indeed of not micro-analysing decisions on the basis of replays. I can't stand Simon Hooper but it was entirely understandable that, with one look, he felt there was enough contact to award a penalty. Part of improving the implementation of VAR is accepting that some on-field calls will be contentious. Or we can just continue down the rabbit hole of VAR interrupting matches here far more than it does in Europe/international competitions and spoiling the game. Got to take the rough with the smooth.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My view, like Sky on the match this evening, is that PGMOL made a very big deal indeed of not micro-analysing decisions on the basis of replays. I can't stand Simon Hooper but it was entirely understandable that, with one look, he felt there was enough contact to award a penalty. Part of improving the implementation of VAR is accepting that some on-field calls will be contentious. Or we can just continue down the rabbit hole of VAR interrupting matches here far more than it does in Europe/international competitions and spoiling the game. Got to take the rough with the smooth.
Sounds like you're just calling to do away with VAR altogether. If VAR doesn't overrule that decision then there is no point in having it at all.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
That was a perfectly good example of a good var usage. The infield decision was obviously wrong. They told the referee, they looked and overturned it quickly. No big delay and the correct result was achieved.
I don't see how anyone can have an issue with that instance of var. In fact, the var did a good job today all around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here