Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton fc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not quite starting from the same high, but Sunderland Are A Big Club's demise from PL to League 1 in 2 seasons was pretty impressive/hilarious, particularly as they have now reached the playoffs but failed to get promoted 4 seasons in a row...

And have now bummed out of the promotion race like a prolapsed rectum :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Appointing Fat Frank increased their chances of a relegation dramatically. It will still be a shock to me if they go down though

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought that was them being " sanctioned " when Fat Frank became the Manager

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Everton went one better in their past. Division One winners, relegated to Division 2 couple seasons later. Obviously though this isn’t mentioned because Football started in 1993 as everyone keeps being told by the PL.

Totally agree. But, I was responding to a statement that Everton going down would be the biggest relegation in the PL era - for my money, it wouldn't surpass Leeds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Totally agree. But, I was responding to a statement that Everton going down would be the biggest relegation in the PL era - for my money, it wouldn't surpass Leeds.

Really? Leeds was on the cards though with the financial meltdown, avoided the drop on the final day of the season the year before - wasn't really a surprise.

Everton finished last season 10th on 59 points. They've invested in the squad. They haven't scored below 47 pts for the last 10 years, other than 1 season in those 10, I think they've been 10th or above. They seem part of the PL furniture.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Other than the Revie period and the over-spending under Reesdale, Leeds have generally been a Level 2 team. They have sent virtually half of the post war years outside of the top division. Everton were founding members of the league and have spent only 4 seasons of 128 out of the top division, the last in the early 1950's. They have three times as many Top Level league titles than Leeds and five times as many FA Cups. Their most recent League title was only 5 years before Leeds won the last title before the Premier League era. Everton are in the top 20 of Forbes list of Europe's most valuable football clubs.

I don't think that they'll go down, but if they did, you'd have to look back to the 1970's at Spurs or Man Utd's single season in Division 2 for something comparable.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Sports question ,

Everton & Burnley have each only won one Premier League game away all season . Leeds have only kept one Premier League clean sheet away from home all season.

Name the opposition team . :eek:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Bit odd to debate biggest relegation since 1993? Why not 2000? 2005? 2012? 1971? 1954? 1938? 1980? Why the fixation with 1993?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Bit odd to debate biggest relegation since 1993? Why not 2000? 2005? 2012? 1971? 1954? 1938? 1980? Why the fixation with 1993?

I don’t think it is that odd, at least not in this context, that it’s framed as a post-1993 question. As much as I don’t like the way Sky et al speak as if football only began when the Premier League started, it’s reasonable to acknowledge that the game changed drastically from that moment on.

We’ve had Manchester United go down in the 70s, and Liverpool before them in the 50s. But it wouldn’t happen today, at least not without some massive extraneous aggravating factor, e.g. what could happen to Chelsea in the not too distant future. But football before was played on much more of an even keel, that’s why you got the likes of Brian Clough’s Derby going from the second division to English champions in a couple of seasons, Forest winning the European Cup (also under Clough) and Ipswich winning the Uefa Cup.

Granted, we not so long ago had Leicester win the Premier League but that only serves to reiterate the point - that was a massive, massive shock as it went completely against what people thought was possible in the English football system.

Everton have resources far greater than the division’s smaller outfits. They have the sixth largest budget in the division, and between 6 and 3 x that of the three lowest budgets (belonging to Brentford, Leeds and Norwich). This wouldn’t have been the case prior to 1993. They shouldn’t be even dabbling with relegation, let alone seriously threatened by it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Everton have been in the top flight since 1931. Ninety one years. Surpassed only by Arsenal.

If Everton go down it would be almost as astonishing as Palace winning something.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t think it is that odd, at least not in this context, that it’s framed as a post-1993 question. As much as I don’t like the way Sky et al speak as if football only began when the Premier League started, it’s reasonable to acknowledge that the game changed drastically from that moment on.

We’ve had Manchester United go down in the 70s, and Liverpool before them in the 50s. But it wouldn’t happen today, at least not without some massive extraneous aggravating factor, e.g. what could happen to Chelsea in the not too distant future. But football before was played on much more of an even keel, that’s why you got the likes of Brian Clough’s Derby going from the second division to English champions in a couple of seasons, Forest winning the European Cup (also under Clough) and Ipswich winning the Uefa Cup.

Granted, we not so long ago had Leicester win the Premier League but that only serves to reiterate the point - that was a massive, massive shock as it went completely against what people thought was possible in the English football system.

Everton have resources far greater than the division’s smaller outfits. They have the sixth largest budget in the division, and between 6 and 3 x that of the three lowest budgets (belonging to Brentford, Leeds and Norwich). This wouldn’t have been the case prior to 1993. They shouldn’t be even dabbling with relegation, let alone seriously threatened by it.

You say that as if it was commonplace back in the day.

It really wasn't. Forest, in particular, is a staggering and unprecedented achievement.

By and large it was always the richest clubs that won things, though. Just, different clubs in a moveable feast.

I also note that Brighton, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff and others have all risen from the fourth tier to the top flight since the 'EPL' began.

Dare to dream....like Leicester did not so long ago.

And meanwhile, the biggest club in the world, ManUre haven't wone the 'EPL' since Fergie shuffled off, stage left.

Football definitely did not begin in 93. 'The EPL era' is just a marketting ploy. Like bottled water.

But that doesn't mean that times change, though. They do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don’t you dare tempt fate and Murphy s Law HWT ?
That would be utterly unbearable
Palarse winning something I mean :lolol:

I wouldn't tolerate Palace winning something just for the amusement of seeing Everton relegated in exchange. It would be funny to see Everton go down, but that's all.

I think I would like to see several clubs stripped of their dirty money, though. That means Russians, Arabs and the like. Places where you get locked up (or worse) for being gay, and discriminated against for being a woman. They can all **** off as far as I'm concerned, and shouldn't be tolerated here.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here