Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever felt you have been short changed at a gig?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I saw Martha and the Muffins at the Top Rank Suite in Brighton. Let's just say that it was a lot of money just to hear Echo Beach, because the rest of their stuff was uniformly shite.

(Best value gig - a triple bill of The Selecter, Madness and The Specials at the Top Rank in the early days of Two Tone.)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Lush said:

(Best value gig - a triple bill of The Selecter, Madness and The Specials at the Top Rank in the early days of Two Tone.)

Better value gig at Top Rank

Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Wreckless Eric, Larry Wallis, Elvis Costello, Ian Dury - early days of Stiff

:clap2:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else going to see the flamming lips on Nov 2nd?.should be a good show.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Saw loads of bands in Toronto-most of whom were great value-except Soft Cell in the early 80's.

Mark Almond and his chum, one keyboard and a bank of reel to reel tape decks. THAT was their idea of SynthPop :tosser:

They were utter shite. Most of the audience had left halfway through their 'show' including me. Desperately wanted to bump into him after the show to give him a frigging good slap....what a waste of good weed:salute:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Dunno about short changed, but I was certainly ripped off the other night.

Went to see Killing Joke in Cardiff on Monday. Tickets were £12, with an advertised 'door' price of £13. However, loads more people turned up without tickets than they expected, so the band's management hiked the entry fee to £15, safe in the knowledge that everyone in the queue would pay the extra £2 rather than go home.

Wankers. And I told 'em so while I was handing over my £15. Top gig though!

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Went to see The Paris Angels in the days of Madchester at the Zap club. Waited about two hours for them to come on paying £2 for a can of Heiniken Export only for them to play 25 minutes.

:angry:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Saw the thrills a few friday nights ago in Aberdeen.
They didnt come on stage till midnight (due 9 ish), moaned constantly about how they had just chartered a private jet to get there from Newcastle and then only did about 5 songs.
What they did do was bloody good tho.
Still, definately NOT worth the 15 notes shelled out, as the licence at the venue ran out at 11 !!

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Green Day, Brixton Academy 1995-ish.

We got to the venue in what we thought was plenty of time (8:00) and were having a beer in the bar. Before we knew it they were on. They did about 45 minutes which included a drum solo and some extended versions of songs and then f***ed off without even an encore. They were booed as far as I remember. We got talking to some people on the way out who had driven down from Ipswich, got stuck in traffic, and arrived 5 minutes before the end. They weren't best pleased either.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I saw Green Day for the first time in around 1993 (I think) in Newport's TJ's club. The crowd was around 50 or 60, the band played for ages and shared their free beer with the crowd.

I saw the Offspring at the same venue about a year later, and the crowd was even smaller. The band again played for ages, again they shared their 'rider' with the crowd, and Wales beat the USA something like 9-3 at pool on the club table afterwards.

Some you win, some you lose!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Took a bird (who later became Mrs Pres) to a gig by The Proclaimers in 1987, they came on at 11.30, were out of tune and she dragged me out after two songs after being covered in phlegm by one of the jock brothers.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
I think the answer is to see bands when they're on the way up so that they're a bit hungrier. Sounds like you saw two corker gigs that you'll never forget, TLB. Lucky bastard :D

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Dropkick Turnip said:
I think the answer is to see bands when they're on the way up so that they're a bit hungrier. Sounds like you saw two corker gigs that you'll never forget, TLB. Lucky bastard :D

No doubt about that DT. The key really is to see these bands on the way up, coz once they get there, then almost all of them turn into complete tossers!

I've seen some great bands in some really unlikely venues. For instance, I saw Blur headline a fantastic gig (Salad supported) at the Pontypridd Municipal Hall (which is usually a cinema!), I've seen Supergrass support Shed 7 (in front of a crowd of around 100) at TJ's in Newport and I've seen Elastica play in my mate's living room!

But the problem is that you've got to watch an awful lot of rubbish in order to find a few gems. However, if you enjoy drinking lager and staying out late, it's not so bad really......

:lolol: :p :lolol:

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd open for Golden Earing (!) in 1974. Talk about short changed. Got 40 minutes of Skynyrd and then was supposed to sit through 90 minutes or so of Earing. Needless to say we left after a couple of highly forgettable Euro Rock songs. (Biggest Band in Holland at the time doncha know ?)

Short changed is possibly a subjective notion though. Frankly did I really want to see a 27 minute guitar solo from Jimmy Page followed by a 15 minute drum solo from Jon Bonham ? DOn't even try to get me started on the likes of ELP !

Charlie_g

Sep 18, 2003
Hove
Felt shortchanged most Saturday nights in Coasters when ZOOCHI 2 did their sets. Apart from that a cracking night out. Ahh Coasters R.I.P

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Laughing Bluebird said:
"Radar Love" was a classic! How long did they make it last?

:lolol: :p :lolol:

I've no idea, the start of their set was dire enough to convince me that the pub offered better entertainment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here