Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Not sure why Evan isn’t a regular to be honest. Should be starting ahead of Welbeck all day long IMO.

Understand that RDZ wants to protect him but…. Surely as a young lad he wants to be playing everyday of the week! Such a wasted talent coming off the bench.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He's already worth 100 million. Watch his goals. His finishing is outrageous. He looks the complete striker already and he is 18.
Every time he comes off the bench he makes a difference, usually scores. Even that turn and shot that hit the post was exceptional.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Not sure why Evan isn’t a regular to be honest. Should be starting ahead of Welbeck all day long IMO.

Understand that RDZ wants to protect him but…. Surely as a young lad he wants to be playing everyday of the week! Such a wasted talent coming off the bench.
The manager and club know what they are doing. There is a ridiculous amount fo football to be played and he is still just a boy, he'll get plenty of game time. We may also be trying to manage his exposure to a certain extent as if he had a storming first 7-8 games of the season the vultures would be praying by January and almost certainly end of season.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The manager and club know what they are doing. There is a ridiculous amount fo football to be played and he is still just a boy, he'll get plenty of game time. We may also be trying to manage his exposure to a certain extent as if he had a storming first 7-8 games of the season the vultures would be praying by January and almost certainly end of season.
No doubt RDZ knows what he is doing and I have total trust in him, but a huge part of me also wants to see this lad light up the PL on a regular basis and I think it’s commonly accepted he is going to be the next big thing.

Not sure I get the point about not playing him as to avoid the vultures in January, if he’s as good as we all think (and know he is) let’s get him banging in the goals asap.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

That’s the trouble. An 18 yo doesn’t know what’s best for him.
I trust RDZ and his team to do what’s best.
Let’s use him when we need to. He could have another 15 years in the EPL left in him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No doubt RDZ knows what he is doing and I have total trust in him, but a huge part of me also wants to see this lad light up the PL on a regular basis and I think it’s commonly accepted he is going to be the next big thing.

Not sure I get the point about not playing him as to avoid the vultures in January, if he’s as good as we all think (and know he is) let’s get him banging in the goals asap.
He's a growing lad. Managed well, he'll peak in 10 years.

If you think Michael Owen is peak soccer, look elsewhere.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He's a growing lad. Managed well, he'll peak in 10 years.

If you think Michael Owen is peak soccer, look elsewhere.
Agreed. He’s still developing physically at 18. Playing week in week out would cause problems later in his career....exactly like Michael Owen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The manager and club know what they are doing. There is a ridiculous amount fo football to be played and he is still just a boy, he'll get plenty of game time.
Agree with this.

We may also be trying to manage his exposure to a certain extent as if he had a storming first 7-8 games of the season the vultures would be praying by January and almost certainly end of season.
Disagree with this. If he has a storming first 7-8 games, we get more points, which is great for the club. If the club were really worried about bids in January, they could simply have words with the entire team stating that we will not be forced into selling anyone mid-season, so at least he'll know in advance.

Deliberately having a team perform worse and score fewer points because you're worried about your good players attracting attention would be madness.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Agree with this.

Disagree with this. If he has a storming first 7-8 games, we get more points, which is great for the club. If the club were really worried about bids in January, they could simply have words with the entire team stating that we will not be forced into selling anyone mid-season, so at least he'll know in advance.

Deliberately having a team perform worse and score fewer points because you're worried about your good players attracting attention would be madness.
Obviously if we need him to play he would. But against a team at Luton’s level , as proved, we have more than enough without Evan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously if we need him to play he would. But against a team at Luton’s level , as proved, we have more than enough without Evan.
Sure, but there are almost no games where we can be assured of 3 points without him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He had a very quiet pre-season - almost seemed to be on the fringes of it all.

Bust a gut to finish off the move for his goal yesterday, and then smashed a spare ball into the East as he celebrated. Looked like he was releasing a bit of frustration there.

I suspect RDZ is an expert at treating them mean and keeping them keen. He's going to have a great season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bust a gut to finish off the move for his goal yesterday, and then smashed a spare ball into the East as he celebrated. Looked like he was releasing a bit of frustration there.

I suspect RDZ is an expert at treating them mean and keeping them keen. He's going to have a great season.
You smooth talking barsterd. But if you're after winky wanky woo, I expect a bit of wooing first.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Irish Haaland. And in three years time I don't think that will be a joke either.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Danny is still a rather decent option up forward.

Was the right choice for first game of the season against a less skilled side who would be well up for some physical play in their first game back in the PL.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Maybe he's considered to be behind the club's record signing in the pecking order? Shame if he is, IMHO.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That’s the trouble. An 18 yo doesn’t know what’s best for him.
I trust RDZ and his team to do what’s best.
Let’s use him when we need to. He could have another 15 years in the EPL left in him.
Ferguson is not just any 18-year-old - he is mature way beyond his years. For a young man so much in the spotlight it is incredible how level-headed and humble he is. Furthermore - his father is right there watching out for him. Barry Ferguson spent 4 years at Coventry before having a decent LOI career ultimately ended by injury - he knows the pressures on young players in professional football. He now works as a development officer with the FAI (with one of his responsibilities being player development programmes).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

I think this just shows unique he is. Most teenagers would be busting a gut in preseason. But he's so calm and confident in his ability. Much more like a seasoned pro to treat those games with a certain amount of irreverence. Looked absolutely bang up for it on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here