Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Brilliant player and, not to piss on his parade but........the goal where he brought it down, turned and slotted it was the absolute definition of "you don't get that time in the Premier League".

Lovely goal, mind.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
According to his wiki page Evan has played 20 first team games and scored 7 goals for us. I imagine at least 5-6 of those games he’d have come on as a sub so he’s probably averaging roughly 1 goal per 180 minutes played I.e 1 in 2 games. Early days yet for sure, but Connolly’s numbers were nowhere near that in his first couple of seasons in the first team.
They really don't compare:

Ferguson:

In all competitions, all seasons (20 appearances) - 7 goals in 946 minutes = 135 minutes/goal

In the PL 2021-23 (11 appearances) - 3 goals in 487 minutes = 162 minutes/goal

Connolly:

In all competitions, all seasons (52 appearances) - 8 goals in 2,575 minutes = 322 minutes/goal

In the PL 2019-22 (45 appearances) - 5 goals in 2,203 minutes = 440 minutes/goal

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Isn't his agent his dad? An ex pro with experience of the EFL - someone who's probably well grounded and who will definitely put the player's interests first
No - his dad works for IFA.

His agents are the YMU group. They look after a lot of American players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Connolly was hailed as the new messiah on NSC after his two goals. Just saying like.:)
That is correct and it was hysterical.

With time the perception changed and it is claimed that it was his only good game ever, which was not the case: Connolly was one of the best players in the team for three or four months even though he was struggling to put the ball into the net.

But if we think a little less about good performances and a little more about attributes... Ferguson is a level above what Connolly ever was. First touch is better, heading is better, Fergie is stronger and at least equally half-quick and has better ball control. Connolly is a brilliant finisher when he is in form but Ferguson probably tops him in that area as well.

Things could go tits up for Fergie. It is very easy and happens to a lot of talents. It might be difficult to believe, but right now the risk of Ferguson being a hobo in Dundalk within five years is not a lot different from Connollys risk at ending up there. Make the wrong friends or fall in love with the wrong girl and things can go shit almost overnight. These things happen and no one is immune at that age.

Take Michael Johnson from Manchester City as one example. For about a season, he was the new Paul Gascoigne. A year later he turned into... eh, the new Paul Gascoigne... but without the football aspect.

But as a player, Ferguson is on much higher level than Connolly (who is also a decent player despite what has been said about him).
As a player, Ferguson is the new Messiah.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I don't know the lad, but I'm not getting "I need to be at Real Madrid keeping Benzema out of the team by the time i'm 20, or i'll be getting my agent to write a ridiculous twitter plea for a transfer and be putting the assistant coach up against a wall" vibes off of him.

It could be just me being hopelessly naive about modern football, but I can imagine a situation where Evan is happy to be here for the next few years getting a decent run in the side, learning his trade earning a decent contract and getting a few goals, and just seeing what the future brings.
He could have gone to Liverpool but picked us as he saw a better path to first team football here. No reason to think at the moment anything has changed there. He’s got a long career ahead of him and he seems to realise that for the next few season he’s better off here and continuing his development rather than pushing to move to a big club where he might not get as much playing time which ultimately will hurt him progressing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No - his dad works for IFA.

His agents are the YMU group. They look after a lot of American players.
Fair enough. Although I bet his dad has a lot of influence on his career and won't let him do something stupid

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The best club owner, fact.

These are the best of Albion times.
036pd6f9hvxz.jpg

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Even with his ability I think there's an argument that had he come up through the ranks during the low point of Hughton's tenure or in potter's winless streak he'd have benefited from a loan spell at a top championship club for his development. In recent seasons there would have been incredible pressure for him to deliver because team goal contributions were so poor.

A lot has been said of RDZ's team performances but the impact he has made on individual players performances has been nothing short of a miracle.
I think Ferguson would have looked very seriously at a permanent signing with Liverpool tbh under those circumstances, if that was all we would have offered him - he was ready for PL first team football when we signed him to the first team squad -

Not just RDZ’s performances (as you say, improving performance of individual players) but I think RDZs style of football does take pressure off reliance on a no9 to be our primary goal scorer with the FBs/LB/WB having more of a role in pressing forward as a team and creating a wider distribution of goal scoring chances. RDZs positioning of players and their roles gives them that opportunity so it’s not just about instilling confidence/belief - even before Ferguson, calls for a £40m striker were already seeming anachronistic to me in the context of De Zerbi ball (as Lallana pointed out!), even by the time Tross left, the dialogue on NSC was rapidly moving on from that. Gross, March, Mitoma, Mac Allister etc all showing with increasing frequency, that with the right tactical formation, they can make a significant impact on our goal scoring stats and the season’s tally. Ferguson has added to that and is already our £40m (+!) striker - I am hoping by the end of the season Undav will finally wow us and that Buoanatte will also start putting a few in.🙂

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well, it is one of our weak positions!
Dunk, Webster, Colwill (this season), Veltman, Van Hecke - all rubbish.
Only Colwill is any good (u21). None of the others are good enough to play internationally, unlike Maguire, who's a mainstay for Southgate's England.

Obviously

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"I wish there was a way to know, you're in the good old days before you've actually left them"

That is, truly, one of my least favourite quotes from The Office.

There is a way, pay attention to what's happening in the moment.
Of course.

The whole point of the line is that Andy has a chronic lack of self-awareness.

And the other point is that clearly they are good times for most of the people in the office.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Of course.

The whole point of the line is that Andy has a chronic lack of self-awareness.

And the other point is that clearly they are good times for most of the people in the office.
But the quote has taken on a life of its own and it's now used in a broader sense, without the context of the character who said it. Mostly because he's one of the worst aspects of the entire show, certainly the post-Carrell two years.

I worry for Kevin, I'm not sure he'll have had better days than during the run of that documentay!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
According to his wiki page Evan has played 20 first team games and scored 7 goals for us. I imagine at least 5-6 of those games he’d have come on as a sub so he’s probably averaging roughly 1 goal per 180 minutes played I.e 1 in 2 games. Early days yet for sure, but Connolly’s numbers were nowhere near that in his first couple of seasons in the first team.
Hi 22/23 season so far:

Prem - 10 appearances, 5 as sub - 3 goals
FA Cup - 4 appearances, 0 as sub, 3 goals
EFL Cup - 2 appearances, 0 as sub, 1 goal

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
123 mins per goal here:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Does anyone know that if Ferguson was to be poached by another club would it go to a tribunal given his age.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Does anyone know that if Ferguson was to be poached by another club would it go to a tribunal given his age.
Nope, he has a professional contract so the poach risk is gone now. 12 months ago they could have enticed him away, but the guy seems to have his head firmly screwed on and the boot of his father firmly up his backside to keep him focused and out of Molly Malone's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here