Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Semi Final - Spain vs France

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ha, yeah I remember someone I know complaining about Spain's 'boring' football in the run up to that final. Hilarious.
...and someone said they always bottle it at the business end of tournaments.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've got to say that the BBC commentary tonight was - to put in kindly - functional at best. The likes of Barry Davies are sorely missed on such nights, he would have loved Spain's football and matched their talent with his own poetic and incisive commentary.
I watched some of the first half on the BBC Sports app while sitting in an Easyjet plane delayed for departure by 3 hours (I also perused another thread on here about flight delay compensation). I got the visuals with 5 Live commentary and it was much much better than watching BBC TV.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Yes, he got a few plaudits from the pundits tonight (and through the competition). I'm glad for him (I've long ago stopped being outraged that he wanted a big money move to a bigger club - that's normal life), but all I seemed to see from him tonight was passing the ball back to the player who had passed it to him!

Funny old world, Saint!
Agree re Cucurella last night but he has been better in earlier matches with one-twos and forward passing. I cannot help but wonder if it was more to do with the constant booing every time he had the ball. It surely must affect anyone who gets such treatment and possibly make them want to get rid of the ball quicker even if that means passing backwards.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
It’s not about fitness, it’s about physical development, physical cumulative loading and susceptibility to injury particularly in a still-growing body. The analysts hopefully have an idea of where his ‘red line’ is but they’re undoubtedly taking risks
Agreed and surely if anyone wanted a prime example of injuries having an impact they would have to look no further than our very own( borrowed!) Ansu Fati.
In some of his earlier highlight reels i watched when he arrived i thought he was incredible, unfortunately the post knee operation version not so much.
How much that damage was caused by overplaying as a youth though i am not sure but it cannot help.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree re Cucurella last night but he has been better in earlier matches with one-twos and forward passing. I cannot help but wonder if it was more to do with the constant booing every time he had the ball. It surely must affect anyone who gets such treatment and possibly make them want to get rid of the ball quicker even if that means passing backwards.
Fair point. I noticed the booing too - what was all that about, do you know?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair point. I noticed the booing too - what was all that about, do you know?
It was German fans in the crowd, booing due to the handball in their game against Spain. It was impressive, literally all game and every time he touched the ball even if for a split-second.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is comedy genius.

So to clarify, apart from the bits where they scored their goals, Spain actually lost.
To be fair, the commentator did also say after 20 mins "The Spanish have got off to a great start, apart from the goal."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here