Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Semi Final - Spain vs France

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A 16 year old just played nearly 90 mins in a Euro semi. In English club cricket a bowler of that age is not allowed to bowl more than 6 overs in a row.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A 16 year old just played nearly 90 mins in a Euro semi. In English club cricket a bowler of that age is not allowed to bowl more than 6 overs in a row.
I wonder if he has to get changed in a different dressing room

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought France were below par , and apart from the 5 min spell when Spain got their 2 goals , Spain didn’t create another clear cut chance , Typical BBC commentator going overboard about the Spanish
I thought Spain were great. Let’s not forget, France are quite difficult to score against. They were in control of that game and didn’t need to score any more. Far wiser to conserve energy for Sunday.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Strict speaking, he wasn't allowed to play at all tonight. Spain will pay a fine for having an underage worker after 8pm

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did you notice that Jenas (?) said after the whistle 'It was a pleasure to be part of this game' or somesuch nonsense. What an absolute plum, delusional on the scale of John Terry.

The One Show was tailor-made for soporific bore Jenas. Always the cue at 7pm in our living room for “where’s that remote control?”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Spain were great. Let’s not forget, France are quite difficult to score against. They were in control of that game and didn’t need to score any more. Far wiser to conserve energy for Sunday.

This Spanish team, also the Guardiola Barca team, pissed off a few Brits/NSC’ers at the time. Tika-Taka by jumped up little Spaniards :lol: .

IMG_2379.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've got to say that the BBC commentary tonight was - to put in kindly - functional at best. The likes of Barry Davies are sorely missed on such nights, he would have loved Spain's football and matched their talent with his own poetic and incisive commentary.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Personally it worries me how much he's played this season. 38 times for barca and every game in the Euros, presumably at least some of the international games during the season too.

That's a heavy workload for a 16 year old and runs serious risk of injury and stunting his development/career which would be a real shame as he looks an incredible player.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mbappe, yes. But Cucurella was excellent tonight.
Yes, he got a few plaudits from the pundits tonight (and through the competition). I'm glad for him (I've long ago stopped being outraged that he wanted a big money move to a bigger club - that's normal life), but all I seemed to see from him tonight was passing the ball back to the player who had passed it to him!

Funny old world, Saint!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
This Spanish team, also the Guardiola Barca team, pissed off a few Brits/NSC’ers at the time. Tika-Taka by jumped up little Spaniards :lol: .

View attachment 185427
ha, yeah I remember someone I know complaining about Spain's 'boring' football in the run up to that final. Hilarious.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Personally it worries me how much he's played this season. 38 times for barca and every game in the Euros, presumably at least some of the international games during the season too.

That's a heavy workload for a 16 year old and runs serious risk of injury and stunting his development/career which would be a real shame as he looks an incredible player.
When I was 16 all I wanted to do was play football, his fitness will be beyond on anything , if good enough let him play

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I was 16 all I wanted to do was play football, his fitness will be beyond on anything , if good enough let him play
It’s not about fitness, it’s about physical development, physical cumulative loading and susceptibility to injury particularly in a still-growing body. The analysts hopefully have an idea of where his ‘red line’ is but they’re undoubtedly taking risks

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I hear that opening scream of “One!” I know that I have failed in my mission to turn the TV over on time. It never gets as far as the second scream.
Ditto.

No one else here gets a chance to hear what inane comment Ronan Keating or Jenas opens with.

Also, in July …. the cue for ITV4.
Off topic, but I once went to a talk at The Guardian’s offices by Jay Rayner. The audience was basically writers or food enthusiasts or both.

At one point he mentioned an appearance he did on The One Show then, without missing a beat, scanned the audience and said “but you don’t look like that demographic” and changed the subject.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Off topic, but I once went to a talk at The Guardian’s offices by Jay Rayner. The audience was basically writers or food enthusiasts or both.

At one point he mentioned an appearance he did on The One Show then, without missing a beat, scanned the audience and said “but you don’t look like that demographic” and changed the subject.
Impressive that he can tell if somebody's remote control has run out of battery just by looking at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here