Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Semi Final - Netherlands vs England

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
All I'll say about the pen, even though I didn't think it was, is that it would have been given a foul anywhere else on the pitch as Dumfries is second to the ball and late to the challenge.

This is the problem with penalties. It's not just about a foul happening inside the box. It's the strength of that foul. Most football fans would agree that it's not a penno inside the box, but outside the box we'd have our arms up for a foul.
Is totally the correct summary and effectively what Wright and Neville are debating about on ITV. Let's take it on this occasion! :)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I read today that ITV struck the jackpot tonight - Their first pick for a tournament game (the final is shared with BBC) was tonight's semi final on the basis that England won the group and made it here to tonight. BBC's first pick was England v Serbia.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Its been shown it actually catches bart which slows it and changes its course enough to allow the defender to get to it.
Maybe but it went through his legs and most defenders would not have been there sweeping up, so it would have been a goal for Foden.

You can't shoot and not follow through. If Dumfries had stood still, then yes, it would be Kane kicking him. But Dumfries puts his studs up to get the ball, and is late.
The bizarre argument is that Kane should apparently freeze in mid-air lol. I get Neville’s argument that he wants more physical contact allowed in the game, but he’s not allowed to peddle plain dumbass ignorance that successive rule clarifications over a long time now have outlawed that - for the very good reasons that people got sick of entertaining, talented, skillful players who get you off your seats being kicked out of games by talentless lumps. We ain’t going back to Vinnie Jones era

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
You can't shoot and not follow through. If Dumfries had stood still, then yes, it would be Kane kicking him. But Dumfries puts his studs up to get the ball, and is late.
That is the biggest irony, that had dumfries made no effort to block the shot which ballooned over the bar there would have been no contact!
As another point if you look at the replay his foot is parallel with the pitch so not actually studs raised unless you mean that every time someone lifts their foot off the pitch they are "studs raised"

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
The Dutch have just smothered this game now. Very little space for Bellingham and Foden to operate in.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You and I seem to be in a minority, but I don't understand why. Kane was right to shoot, and having shot, couldn't avoid contact with someone who was late to the ball :shrug:
Harry Kane HAd a clear shot, kicked the ball, which was away . . .then his follow through kicked a defender who was doing his job. Ie trying to defend.

at no point did the defender touch sir Cheatalot until the slack jawed spud reject kicked him.

How is that a foul?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here