Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Quarter Finals (England vs Switzerland, Netherlands vs Turkey)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Maybe about par for the squad he’s had available?
This squad doesn’t lay a glove on the one we had 2002-2006 and they never made it past a quarter final.

Yes we aren’t playing great but we are winning matches which is what tournament football is all about.

This notion we should be winning and playing is scintillating football is arrogance in the extreme.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This squad doesn’t lay a glove on the one we had 2002-2006 and they never made it past a quarter final.

Yes we aren’t playing great but we are winning matches which is what tournament football is all about.

This notion we should be winning and playing is scintillating football is arrogance in the extreme.
We're not winning matches . . . . Nor entertaining anyone.

a penalty shoot out is a different beast, but it aint winnning football

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
but we never used to pen shoot outs. Southgate won 2. Pure luck of course
Three if you count the nations league third place playoff.

He had a win percentage in penalties of 75% (won three lost one)

Prior to him taking over we had won one in six. (A win rate of 17%)

His approach to planning and preparation for penalties deserves credit.

The Swiss could have won that game. There was nothing to choose between the sides over 2 hrs. Respect to them. We won because we were better in the pen shootout.

England worryingly reliant on individual brilliance. It rarely wins you trophies. It was great to see Luke Shaw play -he could be key for us.

Yep it was no different to previous games which attracted a host of criticism. But every broadcaster just now was overwhelmingly raving and positive. A study in pundit cowardice, they can only hunt in packs and can’t be honest

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That's a bit harsh. I never bought into the idea we were going to stroll the tournament. However, based on the fact that we have arguably 3 of the top players in their respective leagues, it wasn't arrogance to expect some more entertaining football if not scintillating. Personally it feels we've somehow sleep walked our way to the semi with a team that hasn't really gelled, star players have under performed and the manager is being too reactive rather than proactive.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You want the final to be France Netherlands, instead of France England?
I don't care who wins . . . Hopefully it'll be a team that actually plays football, and to try and win by being creative, expansive, entertaining, and maybe just maybe, having a shot or two, per hour, perhaps even score a goal from open play. . . .

THus far, England and France have stunk the place out but have some quality and luck, when it's mattered most. It's f***ing dull IMHO.

Are we supporting the Dutch here because we are currently praying their league produces good players

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With Trossard's dad reffing, the Dutch have no chance.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well I for one enjoyed the England game and am delighted by the result and for Southgate. A lot of humble pie being served up tonight around the country for sure. So many miserable England bastards out there tonight though, people desperate for us to lose because of the way we played previously. I don’t get it. Have some pride. We won, and we go through to another (yes another!!) semi final in last 4 years. It’s wonderful!
I enjoyed the result much more than the game itself.

No humble pie here being consumed. Despite improving, England still haven't put in a convincing performance in 5 attempts.

A last gasp equaliser last game, penalties this. Isolated moments of individual brilliance masking consistent team mediocrity.

I'd love us to win the Euros, but equally aware enough to realise that we're unlikely to do so playing the football that we are.

Love England, hate Southgate's football. Having endured rather than enjoyed our games, it's not hard to come to this position.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yep it was no different to previous games which attracted a host of criticism. But every broadcaster just now was overwhelmingly raving and positive. A study in pundit cowardice, they can only hunt in packs and can’t be honest
It was definitely better than previous games, and I've been very critical of how we've played this tournament. First half was cagey, yes, but knockout games so often are first half especially. But we pressed higher up the pitch, looked far more fluid, and put together some decent moves. There was still room for improvement of course though. Second half didn't start well but credit to Southgate for making the changes instantly after conceding which then instantly worked. I've been critical of Southgate, but it cant be easy making those decisions re subs. Even on the Beeb the pundits all said they couldn't agree on what he should do and they weren't the ones under intense pressure to make the right decision. I still wish we were a little more attacking, but for now, who am I to judge - we're in yet another semi final. People will say yeah but it's Switzerland, but everything I read/listened to (including some foreign media) tipped Switzerland to win what with them having been playing very well and very tough to break down in their system - they are a very good team

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks Christina Unkel for explaining the bleeding obvious. Great job.
Lee Dixon is co-commentaror. He has shown us that he doesn't know any of the laws. And when they are explained to him, he doesn't believe them, and when he believes them he doesn't like them. Three words: I. T. V.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We’re winning on penalties or in ET against teams ranked some way below us, having created absolutely f*** all during the previous 90 mins. Sorry for my ‘extreme arrogance’ :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here