Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Quarter Finals (England vs Switzerland, Netherlands vs Turkey)

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Last four tournaments:

Semi, final, quarter, semi (at least).

There's a point at which you have to say he knows what he’s doing in a tournament, no matter how bad we are to watch
Agreed. The ringleaders of the anti-Southgate brigade are probably the heads of the "bring Potter back" campaign. All performance, no result. If they were in charge of football they'd remove the goalposts and have it 90 minutes of passing. XG fetish.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
but we never used to pen shoot outs. Southgate won 2. Pure luck of course
You do appreciate that winning or losing via the lottery of penalty shootouts doesn't make you a great manager or otherwise?

What it does mean is that Southgate's side, tactics and substitutions weren't able to outscore Switzerland in over 2 hours of football.

Yes, they're through and they played better, but still unconvincing in the 2nd half and were hanging on in extra time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I mean I want England to win but I was just completely non-plussed by that whole shootout. I'm 1000 times more invested in the Albion that I'd forgive them being shit and would be going mad if they'd just won on penalties. But Southgate's England have stunk this tournament out and I think they've bored me into a state of catatonia and I almost begrudge Southgate his win. Still, on we go.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Phew - glad I didn’t watch the pens but well done England - we are not looking pretty doing this but at least we are doing it - you can’t argue with that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Can't sack Southgate now. He'll resign on his own terms and he deserves too.

We've been spoilt so much since 2018.

And what a lovely interview. Oh Gareth, you bring tears to my eyes. I love you. :love:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I mean I want England to win but I was just completely non-plussed by that whole shootout. I'm 1000 times more invested in the Albion that I'd forgive them being shit and would be going mad if they'd just won on penalties. But Southgate's England have stunk this tournament out and I think they've bored me into a state of catatonia and I almost begrudge Southgate his win. Still, on we go.
Sad sod.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Nearly as boring as this post

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Ages of England players who took the penalties:

Palmer - 22
Bellingham - 21
Saka - 22
Toney - 28
TAA - 25

Old heads on young shoulders.
Absolutely outstanding. Bizarrely never felt in doubt. Other teams must have watched this and started planning to do everything possible to avoid going to penalties against us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here