Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 7

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Despite my initial positivity in the first game, his game management was total shit today. Poor subs, bizarre tactical choices, TAA worked fine first game, why he continued with it beyond HT today, baffling.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Tell me that’s a joke

Please tell me.
I only wish it was.

Couldn't believe Southgate namechecking Phillips. But on reflection, we shouldn't be surprised.

He's yesterday's man playing yesterday's football with yesterday's tactics and clearly trying to use yesterday's players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Despite my initial positivity in the first game, his game management was total shit today. Poor subs, bizarre tactical choices, TAA worked fine first game, why he continued with it beyond HT today, baffling.
It was the same V Serbia, we lucked out because they didn't have the players in midfield

Trent was poor against Serbia, he was out of position and gifted Mitrovic a golden chance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My 4 point plan to rescue our tournament:

1) fire “Trent” back to Liverpool out of a cannon
2) chloroform Southgate
3) get the players from clubs that can press and beat the press to take training. Work on nothing else.
4) sit Kane on the bench for so long he gets splinters in his paceless, effortless, drop deep ar**hole.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love Italy's National Anthem ... and France ..... and Germany, sorry Spain just doesn't do it for me :shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
England manager Gareth Southgate, speaking to BBC One: "Clearly not what we would have hoped [for]. We're not using the ball well enough and we have to accept that if you do that you will suffer at times as we have tonight. We know there's another level we have to find."

On whether he tells the team to drop deep after scoring: "No. I think we've played teams that are quite fluid in back threes and it's not easy to get pressure on them but we've got to do that better than we have in these last two matches. Not keeping the ball has been another problem."

On why he took Trent Alexander-Arnold off: "I wanted Conor [Gallagher] on. We needed energy, we needed to press better. Conor does that very well."

On how he thinks Trent Alexander-Arnold is doing in midfield: "He's had some moments where he's delivered what we thought he would. We know it's an experiment. We know we don't have a natural replacement for Kalvin Philips. We're trying different things and at the moment we're not flowing as we'd like."

On taking off Harry Kane: "We needed energy. We've had two games in a short turnaround and we needed fresh legs, energy to press. I think Harry has only had one 90 minutes in over a month so that was the decision we took."

On how much work England still have to do: "There's a huge amount of work, that's evident from the two performances we've given and we've got to be tight. We understand people will be disappointed with the performances and rightly so and we've got to make them better."

"We know people will be disappointed with our performances. At the moment we are not pressing with the intensity that we need to and that's meaning we are having to sit a bit deeper. They are the problems and we need to find the solutions. We need to asses the two performances and work through it together. If you allow players to pick passes then they can play passes which can hurt you."

Last edited:

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I hope Southgate gets a really bad stomach bug which will cause no long term harm but sends him home and someone with half a footballing brain can take charge.
Can't we skip the middleman and just get someone with a WHOLE footballing brain? F**king sick of Southgate. He's been useless since day dot and and his results in tournaments to date do not disguise his uselessness to anyone who watched.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It was the same V Serbia, we lucked out because they didn't have the players in midfield

Trent was poor against Serbia, he was out of position and gifted Mitrovic a golden chance.
You could see the logic against Serbia, and for the first 35 he was decent, but yeah two games now and he provides nothing going once we are 1-0 up. Was confident he might change things up today especially after the equaliser, but he did nothing. Only positive was he spoke well post match and agreed that he thought we were poor.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can't we skip the middleman and just get someone with a WHOLE footballing brain? F**king sick of Southgate. He's been useless since day dot and and his results in tournaments to date do not disguise his uselessness to anyone who watched.
Recent form hasn't been great even before the Euros - England have won just two of their last seven games.

They lost to Iceland and Brazil, and drew with North Macedonia, Belgium and Denmark.
The wins came against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
England manager Gareth Southgate, speaking to BBC One: "Clearly not what we would have hoped [for]. We're not using the ball well enough and we have to accept that if you do that you will suffer at times as we have tonight. We know there's another level we have to find."

On whether he tells the team to drop deep after scoring: "No. I think we've played teams that are quite fluid in back threes and it's not easy to get pressure on them but we've got to do that better than we have in these last two matches. Not keeping the ball has been another problem."

On why he took Trent Alexander-Arnold off: "I wanted Conor [Gallagher] on. We needed energy, we needed to press better. Conor does that very well."

On how he thinks Trent Alexander-Arnold is doing in midfield: "He's had some moments where he's delivered what we thought he would. We know it's an experiment. We know we don't have a natural replacement for Kalvin Philips. We're trying different things and at the moment we're not flowing as we'd like."

On taking off Harry Kane: "We needed energy. We've had two games in a short turnaround and we needed fresh legs, energy to press. I think Harry has only had one 90 minutes in over a month so that was the decision we took."

On how much work England still have to do: "There's a huge amount of work, that's evident from the two performances we've given and we've got to be tight. We understand people will be disappointed with the performances and rightly so and we've got to make them better."

"We know people will be disappointed with our performances. At the moment we are not pressing with the intensity that we need to and that's meaning we are having to sit a bit deeper. They are the problems and we need to find the solutions. We need to asses the two performances and work through it together. If you allow players to pick passes then they can play passes which can hurt you."
Don’t disagree with a lot of that, but this is what I expect from a pundit not a manager. The Kalvin Phillips comment is odd, the natural replacement for him is Gallagher so why not start him. Glad he thinks we need another level to see that he isn’t completely blind to how poor we’ve been.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We seemed desperate for entire second half. A sense of panic on and off the pitch pervaded through my screen, at least. As if the whole Team England knew they would be slated post match and there was absolutely nothing they could do to avoid.

It reminded me of us against Iceland, under Woy. Abject.

The only positive I took is at least the players, manager and coaching staff all agree they can and must do better. Nobody’s in denial about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here