Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 7

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can't be bothered to read prior pages, but anyone else thinking that Rice needs to be held accountable more? He needs to be getting that ball from defence and driving the entire midfield up the pitch. Haven't seen him do that nearly enough in the first two games.
The defence is allowed to pass to players other than Rice. Presumably they have been told not to by the clown in charge.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good point. Ben White is currently in Ibiza. I know what I’d rather be doing.

Can't be bothered to read prior pages, but anyone else thinking that Rice needs to be held accountable more? He needs to be getting that ball from defence and driving the entire midfield up the pitch. Haven't seen him do that nearly enough in the first two games.
Are the players really that scared of a shit manager? What if they go rogue? Win 4-0? Then what?

what if a player says, we didn't do exactly what the gaffer said, but it worked . . . . .

something aint right . . . . And it's been so since Tel got the boot. . The last manager England had to get a tune from a squad/team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
trent is an experiment. We don't have a natural replacement for kelvin Phillips.
Then it’s insane keeping that formation. Have Rice as a CDM and Bellingham an AM in a diamond. Go 4-4 f***ing 2 and play the quick Watkins with slow, but great finishing Kane. Go 4-3-3 and play Foden and Saka either side of Watkins with Mainoo, Rice and Gallagher with Wharton to come in later.

Jebus and the wee donkey,

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Sadly an absolute embarrassment. I think he's done great for England but this tournament stinks. Still f***ing about experimenting with a defender in midfield in a major tournament while bemoaning the lack of Kalvin Phillips is pathetic.

Dire performance and tactics.

Surely a 'leadership' group of Kane, Bellingham, Walker and Rice are telling him this can't continue?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, given the format that up to three teams go through, we're basically guaranteed to progress with 4 points.

There's always an utterly shit performance in the group stage.

Can Southgate sleepwalk this team to the latter stages of a tournament again? Honestly, I hope not as it would just be rewarded with a new contract.

I don't think Potter is the answer either, proved he can't handle the egos and big names at Chelsea.
I don’t think Potter’s time at Chelsea proved anything other than the club is a basket case. I wouldn’t judge anyone on their time at that club.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It really doesn't need a tactical genius to work out that if you are playing 5m passes between two central defenders and a defensive midfielder whilst there's not an opponent in sight, you're outnumbered somewhere else on the field. It's a CSE grade 3 in maths :dunce:

If you really can't trust some of the best centre backs in Europe, trained from kids to play football and make incisive passes and keep control, without sticking a single or double (please tell me that Phillips comment isn't true) pivot 5 yards in front of them :facepalm:

It's almost as if the last five years at the Amex never happened and we weren't exactly 'trailblazers' :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Then it’s insane keeping that formation. Have Rice as a CDM and Bellingham an AM in a diamond. Go 4-4 f***ing 2 and play the quick Watkins with slow, but great finishing Kane. Go 4-3-3 and play Foden and Saka either side of Watkins with Mainoo, Rice and Gallagher with Wharton to come in later.

Jebus and the wee donkey,
Have you got a passport and available for the next few weeks …if so jobs yours

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
That took me back to watching Brighton under Potter boring shite football, clueless over the half way line score a goal and wait for the equaliser, stroll back to the train queue.
More rewriting of history. We had plenty of goal attempts under Potter and if you are really comparing the players he had upfront to the ones Southgate has, you are a deluded. :smile:

Edited as that was a bit too rude originally

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It reminded me very much of the Iceland loss. Another nation drawing from a smaller pool of players, in their case light years from the Laudrup years, but effecting a superior game plan, winning all duals and giving us a football lesson. Even Bellingham looked bullied out of it.

We resorted to Dycheball of long punts.

Embarrasing.
Can’t argue with any of this. What made me smile wryly post match dog walk were the number of late teenage lads looking bemused and frustrated on way home from the pub. I just saw myself in them back in 86,88,90&92…felt like saying “it doesn’t get any better boys!” as I passed.

Because it doesn’t, and it’s the hope that kills yer as they say!

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Williams and Yamal look quality for Spain, but a player I think who has gone under the radar a bit is Fabian Ruiz. Looks very composed and technically very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Williams and Yamal look quality for Spain, but a player I think who has gone under the radar a bit is Fabian Ruiz. Looks very composed and technically very good.
I just looked up who that Williams guy is. He’s great and only 21.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Comment from the BBC live text feed:

Adrian Gosling: Is there a word or phrase to describe the phenomenon of really looking forward to watching a team play, yet once they're actually playing, spending most of your time looking forward to it being over? Other than 'being an England fan', obviously.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think Southgate has overcomplicated whatever plan he had.
Net result is a confusing, negative mess.
When he put three fast players on at once it was as if he was giving up on his primary strategy.
It was desperate.
We look so far off being serious contenders
To win this tournament you need to beat at least three quality teams.
We could sneak past one, maybe two but we won’t luck out three times.
It is a real shame.
I hope he makes all his critics eat their words. It is very, very unlikely though.
At some point we will come unstuck and be made to pay.
Agree. One of the pundits or reports read post match talks about England being in danger of stubbling into the next round and exiting after a real humbling. Inferring maybe it’s better to not qualify and come home in the group stage? Ouch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here