Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2012, best finals ever?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've enjoyed it so far, but I think the mark of a great tournament will be how many of the winner-takes-all games from now on (as group games end) will be exciting classics.

The 16 team format is key - there are no teams there just to make up the numbers, unlike with World Cups. Shame it won't ever be like this again.

Just googled that. So it's going up from 16 to 24 teams? That's a bit shit.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
he's obviously a bit of a dick, but i just love seeing world class players play to the best of their ability

I just dislike Portugal as a whole, for likes of Pepe and Nani as much (if not more than) Ronaldo. No denying Ronaldo is 2nd best in the World right now, but it just takes away from the whole enjoyment of watching him when he is just so completely self obsessed. He can't enjoy himself unless he is centre of attention and the star of the show. A complete diva. Such a shame.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
For a few reasons, this is already THUMPING the last world Cup.

1 - Suprises. Holland Exit. Greece and Czechs go through.
2 - Competetive games. Albeit the Russia -Czech game and the Spain-Ireland game, they have all been competetive. And when they haven't, the winning side has WOWED us.
3 - The fave's are demostrating equal brilliance in different ways. Germany steamrolling it whilst Spain do what they do best.
4 - The re-emergence of PROPER goals. Get it out wide, cross it in, BOSH for the big man!
5- The majority of TOP players are shining. I'm probably the ONLY person in England DELIGHTED to see Ronaldo play the way he did last night. That's the whole POINT of this. All season you see these players do it for their clubs and then FAIL at the tournament. Not Ronaldo. Not Gomez. It's great to see.
6 - England have restored some PRIDE back. Even if we go out tomorrow, this is 10 times better than South Africa just for the FIGHT shown.

Great points there fella.
Well, after games 21 and 22 we unfortunately have another sending off (Andrews of Ireland) although it was worth it to see him throw his toys out the pram as he walked off. Still only 1 penalty and still no goalless games.
Just hope games 23 and 24 bring an England victory and top the group.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I guess its still early days yet but the stats so far have been great. With games 19 and 20 being played tonight
No 0-0 games, no penalties and only 1 sending off of that greek dude that shouldn't even have been a sending off.

Pretty much agree to date yes. Being an old bastard of 47 I don't remember seeing a better league stage in a Euro Championship yet. Let's hope the knockouts pan out the same.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Just googled that. So it's going up from 16 to 24 teams? That's a bit shit.

The more teams the less quality!!! Pity Euro 12 is a great tourno so far.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
96 was a shit tournament. It was great for England and we were the best side in it, but the rest of it was dull. The Golden Goal rule ruined the knockout stages.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
96 was a shit tournament. It was great for England and we were the best side in it, but the rest of it was dull. The Golden Goal rule ruined the knockout stages.

Exactly. Just like Italia 90, England doing well does not equal a brilliant tournament overall.

This has been far better so far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm enjoying it a lot.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Exactly. Just like Italia 90, England doing well does not equal a brilliant tournament overall.

This has been far better so far.

Isn't the World Cup of 1966 generally considered a tournament of dull football?

Starting to see a trend here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's been a fabulous tournament so far. Only the Dutch have really disapponted in every single game by not meeting expectations befitting World Cup finalists. By comparison, the Irish are just predictably wank and the Swedes have been bitterly unlucky to have already been knocked out.

And for the first time in a long while, the level of expectation and hype around the England team seems reasonably measured and fair. It's a pity there aren't more England supporters out there.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Apart from the fact that the only Golden Goal came in the final, and certainly in the SF against the Germans both sides went for it in ET.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's been a fabulous tournament so far. Only the Dutch have really disapponted in every single game by not meeting expectations befitting World Cup finalists. By comparison, the Irish are just predictably wank and the Swedes have been bitterly unlucky to have already been knocked out.

Sweden were f**king woeful against Ukraine - incredibly listless, couldn't look less motivated if they tried - and were nothing special at all against us. Why are they unlucky?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The real barometer of whether a tournament is shit is how quickly the Missus complains when you put the footie on.

So far mine has been happy to watch every night, albeit with laptop / knitting / paperwork on the go. The lack of uxorial whingeing is a sure sign the competition has been a belter.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
it certainly has been dramatic.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Well, what an evening and what can I say? Games 23 and 24 mean end of the group stages and England progress as group winners? As others have said before, England being successful doesn't necessarily mean it's a brilliant tournament but this one I feel is. still no goalless games, still no more pens. France got beat and we have a ball over goal line decision go in our Favour. Happy days

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
i have to say I think its been really enjoyable so far - although watching England isn't enjoyable (and I dont mean that negatively its just too tense)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here