Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2012, best finals ever?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I guess its still early days yet but the stats so far have been great. With games 19 and 20 being played tonight
No 0-0 games, no penalties and only 1 sending off of that greek dude that shouldn't even have been a sending off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There was a pen in the opening game for Greece, but yes, the point stands - great tournament so far.

P.S. There was also 2 sending offs in the Poland v Greece game - one for each team.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
There was a penalty and sending off on the first day(maybe first game) if I am not mistaken, Polish keeper. The Sub keeper came on and saved it

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
There was a pen in the opening game for Greece, but yes, the point stands - great tournament so far.

P.S. There was also 2 sending offs in the Poland v Greece game - one for each team.

Whoops, I stand corrected, 2 sendings off and a missed pen in the opening game. Still, at least I got the "no 0-0 games" stat correct. It's definitely been one if the most open and judging by the other thread, one of the best for Euro eye candy

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Euro 84 was the best because of the high proportion of exciting teams (Denmark, France and Portugal) and outstanding matches, IMHO. Both the semi-finals were thrilling, and the group games had Platini getting hat-tricks in consecutive matches. In terms of kits, the tournament was like an old-school Adidas party!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's been a great tournament. Competitive football, some good sides but a little light on great strikers and match winners. I'm interested to see how Rooney plays.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's been a great tournament. Competitive football, some good sides but a little light on great strikers and match winners. I'm interested to see how Rooney plays.

I agree about the great strikers so far. Still a little way to go though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's been fantastic. I want to see more penalties, though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's been great so far - and I hope it continues, just to prove what a total moron Platini is for trying to change the format for the next tournament.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've enjoyed it so far, but I think the mark of a great tournament will be how many of the winner-takes-all games from now on (as group games end) will be exciting classics.

The 16 team format is key - there are no teams there just to make up the numbers, unlike with World Cups. Shame it won't ever be like this again.

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
ThanK you english. Sing danse drink no fyting Sverige. Ukraine woman vary hap to lots Hryvna you spends have sexy time, but var short niet? now neu George frents tak me Donetsk to translate wantings. See game Ukraine but wan England win plis get more hryvnas. speak agin? до свидания.

Oct 25, 2003
euro 2000 (after the group stages) was brilliant........it also had zidane in what was probably his best tournament......there were some absolutely humdingers of knock-out matches in that tournament

euro 2008 was also brilliant, and unlike in '00, the group stages were also pretty intense....with czech republic vs turkey being an obvious highlight...one thing holding it back was that there wasn't really one "stand out" player....a world class player, at his prime, taking the tournament by storm...it was more a case of the whole spanish unit being good

this one has potential...it's been great so far and there hasn't really been any poor games (spain vs ireland for me was probably the poorest....one team being simply out of their depth doesn't equal enjoyment for me...it was like an early round FA cup game), but for me it needs someone to take the tournament by storm, like zidane did in '00.....germany are probably the strongest team, but their strength lies more in the fact that they don't contain a single weak link and spain are similar in that respect....a good outcome would be for ronaldo to go apeshit after his performance last night and lead portugal to glory

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Seems like there's hardly been any yellow cards throughout the tournament. Not been any dirty games and other than some stupid play acting it's been played in a great spirit. Thoroughly enjoying it.

a good outcome would be for ronaldo to go apeshit after his performance last night and lead portugal to glory

I wouldn't enjoy that at all!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
For a few reasons, this is already THUMPING the last world Cup.

1 - Suprises. Holland Exit. Greece and Czechs go through.
2 - Competetive games. Albeit the Russia -Czech game and the Spain-Ireland game, they have all been competetive. And when they haven't, the winning side has WOWED us.
3 - The fave's are demostrating equal brilliance in different ways. Germany steamrolling it whilst Spain do what they do best.
4 - The re-emergence of PROPER goals. Get it out wide, cross it in, BOSH for the big man!
5- The majority of TOP players are shining. I'm probably the ONLY person in England DELIGHTED to see Ronaldo play the way he did last night. That's the whole POINT of this. All season you see these players do it for their clubs and then FAIL at the tournament. Not Ronaldo. Not Gomez. It's great to see.
6 - England have restored some PRIDE back. Even if we go out tomorrow, this is 10 times better than South Africa just for the FIGHT shown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here