Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EURO 2008 - Turkey v Czech Republic - Predictions

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Could you elaborate on your dislike of Terim, Sully? And his reputation in Turkey? Like MoH i've been finding him pretty entertaining on the touchline, and his team generally play attractive football too. ???

He DOES look like he loves himself though, which is never a particularly nice trait.

Fatih Terim is bit like Kevin Keegan with a megolomania complex. Look at his face again and you'll notice he sticks out his chin..... just like Mussolini. Actually forget Keegan... think Mussolini. He's very good at boosting players but he has no tactşical ability at all. Turkey's success in 2002 wasn't down to him, it was down to the Turks being so furious at the way they were treated in the first match against Brazil that they came out all guns blazing. Terim was found immeditaely when he went to manage in Italy and had a torrid time.

We were going pretty well towards WC 2006 with a new young manager but for dsoem godawaful reason they Turkish FA sacked him and put Terim back in charge... we then just about scraped the into the play offs and then imploded against the Swiss.

The proof is in the pudding. In the three matches played Turkey have used Terim's tactics in the first half.... net re3sult goals for:0 goals against 3. In the second half he does a keegan, gets them going and tells them to do what they like.... goals for: 5.. goals against :2

I rest my case.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Fatih Terim is bit like Kevin Keegan with a megolomania complex. Look at his face again and you'll notice he sticks out his chin..... just like Mussolini. Actually forget Keegan... think Mussolini. He's very good at boosting players but he has no tactşical ability at all. Turkey's success in 2002 wasn't down to him, it was down to the Turks being so furious at the way they were treated in the first match against Brazil that they came out all guns blazing. Terim was found immeditaely when he went to manage in Italy and had a torrid time.

We were going pretty well towards WC 2006 with a new young manager but for dsoem godawaful reason they Turkish FA sacked him and put Terim back in charge... we then just about scraped the into the play offs and then imploded against the Swiss.

The proof is in the pudding. In the three matches played Turkey have used Terim's tactics in the first half.... net re3sult goals for:0 goals against 3. In the second half he does a keegan, gets them going and tells them to do what they like.... goals for: 5.. goals against :2

I rest my case.

Thanks, its interesting to get an inside view. There does seem to be a big difference between Turkey's 1st and 2nd half performances! Although i reckon you can write-off the water-polo v the Swiss.

Not sure what you mean about Terim and Turkey's success in WC2002 though. Senol Gunes was coach then wasnt he?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thanks, its interesting to get an inside view. There does seem to be a big difference between Turkey's 1st and 2nd half performances! Although i reckon you can write-off the water-polo v the Swiss.

Not sure what you mean about Terim and Turkey's success in WC2002 though. Senol Gunes was coach then wasnt he?

Yes... I'm being an arse there..... mythology is that it was WC 2002 (I kid you not)...

Terim was Galatasaray and the UEFA cup.... same story though... UEFA cup was won by Hagi and taffarel and a lot of very put-upon Turkish players.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Yes... I'm being an arse there..... mythology is that it was WC 2002 (I kid you not)...

Terim was Galatasaray and the UEFA cup.... same story though... UEFA cup was won by Hagi and taffarel and a lot of very put-upon Turkish players.

Cool, thought that might be where you were going.

I always thought Turkeys 3rd place in Japan/Korea was a strange one. They played very well against Brazil, but could've gone out of the whole tournament in the next game v Costa Rica, when Winston Parks (FLAIR player) missed an open goal. And after that the cynical view could be that they were very fortunate with the draw- beat China and hope Costa Rica lose to Brazil, then Japan and Senegal in the knockout stages...

I remember reading at the time the Gunes was pretty unpopular too. Seems like you've got to work pretty hard to get the respect as a coach in Turkey, although thats probably the same for most international mangers eh

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cool, thought that might be where you were going.

I always thought Turkeys 3rd place in Japan/Korea was a strange one. They played very well against Brazil, but could've gone out of the whole tournament in the next game v Costa Rica, when Winston Parks (FLAIR player) missed an open goal. And after that the cynical view could be that they were very fortunate with the draw- beat China and hope Costa Rica lose to Brazil, then Japan and Senegal in the knockout stages...

I remember reading at the time the Gunes was pretty unpopular too. Seems like you've got to work pretty hard to get the respect as a coach in Turkey, although thats probably the same for most international mangers eh

TBH Gunes was tactically astute but that doesn't go down well with players. In Turkey coaches don't have much power and players are gods. So Gunes wasnt particularly liked by either the players or the media. Pity really because he did a good job. It's unbelievable that after getting them to WC 2002 they nearly sacked him for Terim, believing Gunes didn't have the experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here