Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eto'o claims racism

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Samuel Eto'o has claimed he was called a "monkey" by someone who works for Chelsea.

Chelsea are running their own investigation and it apparantely kicked off in the tunnel with stewards

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Yer you could see that after the game, looked like a right fracas !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
REDLAND said:
Yer you could see that after the game, looked like a right fracas !!
fracas - cracking word that. Better than "scuffle" which also has an attraction.

But is it pronounced FRACKAR or FRACKAS

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
"someone called me a monkey" :lolol: haha

Someone needs to point out to him that everyone calls everyone a monkey in England

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Does monkey always have to be a racist insult? I call friends that all the time, black and white, but never mean it in a racist way, but more suggesting that they're jokers...

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Brixtaan said:

Someone needs to point out to him that everyone calls everyone a monkey in England

Thats what I was trying to say... :)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Brixtaan said:

according to vladipisstake its europe not England :rolleyes:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sounds rather tit for tat following the large number of clearly valid racist complaints against the Spanish. I hope it get's treated with the contempt it desrves.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Sounds rather tit for tat following the large number of clearly valid racist complaints against the Spanish. I hope it get's treated with the contempt it desrves.

Unless it turns out to be true in which case we should lead by example and stage a full inquiry.

Don't want to look like hypocrites now do we?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Does monkey always have to be a racist insult? I call friends that all the time, black and white, but never mean it in a racist way, but more suggesting that they're jokers...

Good point, but would you use it with someone you didn't know and would your black friends be happy if everyone called them monkeys.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea and Barcelona are set to escape any punishment from UEFA for the post-match fracas and accusation of racism which followed their contentious Champions League clash.

Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o told Spanish TV he was called "a monkey" by a Stamford Bridge steward in the aftermath of the 4-2 victory by the Londoners but the club have strongly denied his claim.

Meanwhile, Barca coach Frank Rijkaard was embroiled in a touchline confrontation with Chelsea scout Andre Villas while other players, including Ronaldinho and Eto'o, became embroiled in scuffles in the tunnel area.

However, UEFA communications director William Gaillard has played down the likelihood of action even though the European governing body's disciplinary department will study reports from referee Pierluigi Collina and their own match delegate.

Gaillard, who was at the match at Stamford Bridge, told the Press Association: "Unless we have some firm evidence about the alleged racist remark there is little we can do, otherwise it is just one man's word against another.

"I am not suggesting for a moment he is telling lies - he strikes me as a very honest and charming man - but we would need sound or video evidence, or some independent verification, to take any action."

It has been pointed out that Eto'o claims he was called a 'monkey of shit' (eh?) - not an expression used in Britain - and that he may have simply mistranslated the insult.

Meanwhile, Gaillard has also played down the tunnel incident.

He added: "We had our own people in the tunnel area and they tell me there was a very minor scuffle, the sort of thing that happens at football grounds every Saturday afternoon.

"I think the stewards were very keen to get the Barcelona players down the tunnel as they were lingering on the pitch and there were fans close to them, it was very crowded and there was a minor scuffle."

A bottle was also reportedly thrown in the direction of Chelsea owner Roman
Abramovich as he walked in front of the visiting fans to celebrate in the Blues'
dressing-room.

A Chelsea spokesman said: "Chelsea utterly refutes any racist comments were made by any of its permanent or matchday staff.

"Chelsea has an excellent record of supporting anti-racism campaigns and condemns all forms of racism."

UEFA are already set to examine claims Rijkaard met referee Anders Frisk in his dressing-room in the first leg at the Nou Camp with their disciplinary committee set to meet on March 24, when they will also consider two charges against Chelsea - Mourinho's failure to attend the post-match press conference in the Nou Camp and the Blues going out late for the second half.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
"I am not suggesting for a moment he is telling lies - he strikes me as a very honest and charming man..."

Doesn't sound too patronising, does he.... :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhaexpress said:

I would have said that a a player from a Spanish team making accusations of racisn is rather hypocritical. Somehow I doubt if the allegation would have been made if Barca had won.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
I would have said that a a player from a Spanish team making accusations of racisn is rather hypocritical. Somehow I doubt if the allegation would have been made if Barca had won.

They are Catalonian.

Have Barca games been marred by rascism this season then?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
They are Catalonian.

Have Barca games been marred by rascism this season then?
I don't know but ceratinly Spanish fans have. But what's more to the point is, as I have said, would there have been any mention of the alledged incident if Chelsea had lost ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Probably not because the Barca players would have been celebrating on the pitch.

I'm just saying that to call them hypocrites because Spanish teams have been accused (and guilty) of rascism this season does not mean they cannot say anything when there is a case of it against them.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here