Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ePetition for Footpath from Woodingdean to Falmer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This does look encouraging and if it happens will be an example of what the NP Authority can achieve. But are we convinced that the Greens on B&HCC have covered themselves in glory on this? Given that the pathway will provide the most sustainably-imaginable link between two parts of the city (Woodingdean and the stadium) but will be substantially funded by others you'd have thought that they would have been hugely and noisily supportive. Are we all convinced they have been?

The vast majority of the proposed pathway isn't in Brighton & Hove - only about 500 yards out of the 1.9 mile route; it comes under East Sussex County Council's jurisdiction, for which see my post above.

The City Council, incidentally, is very supportive of the idea. Response from Cllr Davey to the ePetition...

'Thank you for your petition, which was presented to Full Council on 15 December and which I formally note here.

There is an existing ‘permissive bridleway’ which runs alongside the Falmer Road from Woodingdean to Falmer and the quality and accessibility of this route has been highlighted as a priority for Brighton & Hove Local Access Forum.

This important 'missing link' remains a priority for providing a safe sustainable route for walkers and cyclists as an alternative to the very busy and narrow B2123 road.

A few hundred metres of route from The Droveway are inside Brighton & Hove City Council’s boundary and earlier this year the city council funded accessibility improvements for all users across the previously inaccessible bunding which has been very well received. This includes the installation of a pedestrian refuge to assist users crossing the junction at Bexhill Road.

I am pleased to inform you that Brighton & Hove City Council has committed further funding to upgrade the surfacing of the section of route in our city boundary this financial year. This has the support of tenant farmers who have willingly provided land to create a path of sufficient width and further support from the South Downs National Park authority.

This route will strengthen walking and cycling links to the Falmer Stadium, however, the remaining two-thirds of the route to Falmer are inside East Sussex County Council’s boundary. Officers at Brighton & Hove have been working with ESCC to improve the route and will continue to support ESCC in completing the section within their boundary'.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with Jo, the receptionist at the stadium (who organised the petition) and she said that the National Park Authority had taken an interest in the cycle route between Woodingdean and Falmer - and were actively looking at how funding might be found.

So ... possibly good news.

I hope so. Path / Cycle path is desperately needed. I would certainly use it for matches. Not ventured that way yet.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The vast majority of the proposed pathway isn't in Brighton & Hove - only about 500 yards out of the 1.9 mile route; it comes under East Sussex County Council's jurisdiction, for which see my post above.

The City Council, incidentally, is very supportive of the idea. Response from Cllr Davey to the ePetition...

'Thank you for your petition, which was presented to Full Council on 15 December and which I formally note here.

There is an existing ‘permissive bridleway’ which runs alongside the Falmer Road from Woodingdean to Falmer and the quality and accessibility of this route has been highlighted as a priority for Brighton & Hove Local Access Forum.

This important 'missing link' remains a priority for providing a safe sustainable route for walkers and cyclists as an alternative to the very busy and narrow B2123 road.

A few hundred metres of route from The Droveway are inside Brighton & Hove City Council’s boundary and earlier this year the city council funded accessibility improvements for all users across the previously inaccessible bunding which has been very well received. This includes the installation of a pedestrian refuge to assist users crossing the junction at Bexhill Road.

I am pleased to inform you that Brighton & Hove City Council has committed further funding to upgrade the surfacing of the section of route in our city boundary this financial year. This has the support of tenant farmers who have willingly provided land to create a path of sufficient width and further support from the South Downs National Park authority.

This route will strengthen walking and cycling links to the Falmer Stadium, however, the remaining two-thirds of the route to Falmer are inside East Sussex County Council’s boundary. Officers at Brighton & Hove have been working with ESCC to improve the route and will continue to support ESCC in completing the section within their boundary'.

I hope you're right, although "working with" and "continue to support" are among the many local government phrases that often don't add up to a can of beans. I'm looking out for a spokesman tell us that a solution is 'in hand', which doesn't mean a lot either. As for your point that most of the route is outside the city limits, well thank you but that was my point too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I hope you're right, although "working with" and "continue to support" are among the many local government phrases that often don't add up to a can of beans. I'm looking out for a spokesman tell us that a solution is 'in hand', which doesn't mean a lot either. As for your point that most of the route is outside the city limits, well thank you but that was my point too.

I'm not sure what you mean.

You're questioning the City Council's support. They've supported it, the spokesman has made a statement saying precisely that, and they have allocated funds to it. They're now waiting on other authorities to follow suit. When SDNPA / ESCC have done that, the can progress to the next level. The worry is that ESCC haven't put it on their list of priorities.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Seeing That I was the OP on this whole thing, I'm personally delighted that it's on the radar of the City Council.

How can ESCC be given a push?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Love it, when do the club put the horse wattering facilities in.

Construction of crushed limestone path width 2.5 metres, depth up to 200mm. The route is an existing permissive bridleway but of unimproved surface. The route will be constructed to provide a surface suitable for walkers of all abilities, cyclists and horse riders. This is an alternative safe route to the busy Falmer Road. The route is entirely within the South Downs National Park.

Was on the bus coming that way on Tuesday where it was dark and fans were walking in the road, recipe for disaster so I hope this is accepted and completed pronto.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If you only have a minute, you could just copy in Tim Carders response as its clear and simple

I strongly support this application. It would greatly benefit commuting cyclists and pedestrians between Woodingdean and Falmer, and also provide a vital link for recreational use. I urge the Phase 2 works to be completed as soon as possible to complete the link to Falmer.

http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=M6111STU1V000

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I wonder how long it will take to complete if accepted.

Attachments

• Falmer path 1.jpg
    Falmer path 1.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Falmer path 2.jpg
    Falmer path 2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Falmer path 3.jpg
    Falmer path 3.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 122

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The one person who has objected to it stated...

Cycling on the Falmer Road is proving very hazardous with motor traffic having to negotiate bends at speed.

Thank you very much, Mr Lester Bradford of Lancing.

Old Varndeanian , ex resident of Woodingdean , used to watch the Albion from the back of the North Stand at The Goldstone in the 1970's ?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
If it becomes a 'shared' path like the one between Woodingdean and Rottingdean, yes you will be safe from traffic but you will have to climb over piles of horse sh1t. If they don't put lights there, please don't sit next to me at matches :)

D

Deleted member 22389

Great news this. This probably would not have even been considered before the stadium. Another route to get to the stadium on the bike.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The one person who has objected to it stated...

Cycling on the Falmer Road is proving very hazardous with motor traffic having to negotiate bends at speed.

Thank you very much, Mr Lester Bradford of Lancing.

He's actually a mate of mine and a diehard Albion supporter

I think he clicked on the wrong box as that comment reads like he's in support of it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here