Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ePetition for Footpath from Woodingdean to Falmer.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
I've always thought thatthere should be a footpath (wide enough for bikes too) between Woodingdean and Falmer.

Yes, I know it's now part of the National Park, but surely putting in a footpath (the streetlights can come later!) would encourage more people to walk/cycle to the Amex.

I see that on the Brighton and Hove City website an ePetition has been set up:

"We the undersigned petition the council to Provide a safe path for cyclists and walkers alongside the Falmer Road between Falmer Village and Woodingdean"

Surely worth supporting.

There is the start of a black top cycle / pavement at the Bexhill Road junction with the Falmer Road in Woodingdean but it stops a few metres down the road to the Amex where the Brighton & Hove Council border ends and the East Sussex Council land starts. I hear there are plans to lay a cinder track down this part of the Falmer road from the Bexhill Road junction to the Amex but it is anyone's guess when it happens.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Butterball, as a cyclist, I will ignore a cycle path if I think it is dangerous, i.e. trees in the middle, constant crossing junctions and cars parked in the middle of them etc. The highway code states that they are not compulsory and I use probably 80% of them in Brighton. Take it from me, the Woodingdean/Falmer road is a death trap for cyclists and badly needed.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
244 have signed so far, perhaps a few lost West Ham fans may add to it in the morning.

May have been discussed already but is the whole road in Brighton and Hove boundarys or does any of it stray over to the Lewes boundary.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• footpath.jpg
    footpath.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 363

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Given that our bus back to race hill yesterday nearly took out three pedestrians, walking along in the road, thumbing a lift back then this does seem to be a necessity

244 have signed so far, perhaps a few lost West Ham fans may add to it in the morning.

May have been discussed already but is the whole road in Brighton and Hove boundarys or does any of it stray over to the Lewes boundary.
Almost ALL of the road is in Lewes District, but this isn't an issue that LDC have any control of. The Highway Authority is East Sussex County Council. ESCC would have to promote the cycle lane.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Almost ALL of the road is in Lewes District, but this isn't an issue that LDC have any control of. The Highway Authority is East Sussex County Council. ESCC would have to promote the cycle lane.

Do ESCC have a good record of promoting footpaths and cycle lanes, I know Brighton and Hove often gets a good budget for this in recent years.

nickbenjoe

May 3, 2009
Very logical makes sense my mate lives up that way he would like to walk but it's just not safe enough. So he uses the park and ride.
Its early days this season very much a learning curve look at Brighton station and the issue with the trains they do seem to have this under control now barriers filtering the numbers

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In the highly unlikely event that East Sussex County Council weren't aware of the e-petition, I copied them in on the link, and got this reply...

I can confirm that East Sussex County Council is indeed aware of the on-line petition on the Brighton and Hove City Council (BHCC) website. As you have rightly stated, a significant length of this road is in East Sussex (and within the South Downs National Park) and therefore officers from BHCC are currently liaising with relevant officers in these authorities about the concept of providing an improved route for cyclists and walkers adjacent to the road.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In the highly unlikely event that East Sussex County Council weren't aware of the e-petition, I copied them in on the link, and got this reply...

I can confirm that East Sussex County Council is indeed aware of the on-line petition on the Brighton and Hove City Council (BHCC) website. As you have rightly stated, a significant length of this road is in East Sussex (and within the South Downs National Park) and therefore officers from BHCC are currently liaising with relevant officers in these authorities about the concept of providing an improved route for cyclists and walkers adjacent to the road.

Thanks for that info TLO.
It sounds promising that they are already looking at this.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We have put in 4k new season ticket holders more strain on the transport links, so something as simple as this you would have thought might have got approval.
But sadly no such luck at the moment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We have put in 4k new season ticket holders more strain on the transport links, so something as simple as this you would have thought might have got approval.
But sadly no such luck at the moment.

Just been to ESCC's website, and looked at their Local Transport Plan.

It's a long way down the priority list. A long way - currently listed under 'Schemes To Be Assessed Should Funds Become Available'.

In other words, equal 118th in importance. That's the bottom of the list.

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with Jo, the receptionist at the stadium (who organised the petition) and she said that the National Park Authority had taken an interest in the cycle route between Woodingdean and Falmer - and were actively looking at how funding might be found.

So ... possibly good news.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with Jo, the receptionist at the stadium (who organised the petition) and she said that the National Park Authority had taken an interest in the cycle route between Woodingdean and Falmer - and were actively looking at how funding might be found.

So ... possibly good news.

This does look encouraging and if it happens will be an example of what the NP Authority can achieve. But are we convinced that the Greens on B&HCC have covered themselves in glory on this? Given that the pathway will provide the most sustainably-imaginable link between two parts of the city (Woodingdean and the stadium) but will be substantially funded by others you'd have thought that they would have been hugely and noisily supportive. Are we all convinced they have been?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
There's no 'prestige' attached to a Woodingdean - Falmer cycle route therefore it'll be well down the list of priorities and if asked, that 5m stretch of dirt near the junction with Bexhill Road will be hailed as an 'accessible route' up onto The Downs.

Maybe if supporters called for a 'Cycle Superhighway' then it might attract a bit more interest eg Grand Ave, Old Shoreham Rd!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here