Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enough Ellen MacArthur Already!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
swindonseagull said:
so dover you dont use B&Q? you dont use Focus DIY (because of Archer)

your house must be a dump...

ANYWAY IT WILL BE DAME ELLEN WITHIN 30 MINS WAIT AND SEE....

That didn't take long.. SSN breaking news.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Seriously, what's wrong with spending a short while celebrating a British person doing something very very difficult with great success?

I'm a bit perplexed at people complaining that the media is covering a good news story for once.

As far as I know (and I don't know much) Ellen is a fairly ordinary woman who comes from part of the country without much water. She's not Robin Farquar-Twiselton-Smythe, whose daddy has a couple of schooners moored at Chichester.

If England won the world cup, for example, you'd be annoyed if it WASN'T all over the news.

Will the prospect of a ceasefire between the Israelis and the Palestinians make much of a difference to your life? Is "politicians trade arguments close to election" really much of a news story?

Sheesh, what is it with some people? Lighten up!

(Oh yes - she's beaten someone French. Surely cause to celebrate.)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Brixtaan said:
:lolol:

The sea belongs to this country.

So that's where all of our tax money has gone....

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Let's celebrate British success, simple as that. It's great to see the number of people who have turned out to welcome her back. Only trouble is that most of them seem to be the yuppy brigade. Normal people would be at work this time of the day..............or on NSC!!!

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
boring it's not as if it hasn't been done before. What's B@Q got to do with it, they vdont even sell yellow wellies. :yawn:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Marshy said:
BBC Sports Personality of The Year 2005 i can see it already....:nono:

she bloody well deserves it, more so than most winners

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fair play to the woman really amazing achievement clocking the globe quicker than any man or woman. Dont think some people can realise just how hard it must be

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Did anyone see the route she took?

It wasn't exactely 'around the world' more like 'around Antarctica'

CHEAT!

Last edited:

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
(Oh yes - she's beaten someone French. Surely cause to celebrate.)

well to be fair thats a good enough reason to celebrate

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Dover said:
Ah! Now Five Live are doing a proper news item of hospital cleaners only getting £4.85 an hour in London.

Maybe B&Q could give them a few bob, instead of spending it on a boat. That might just get me going back ito their doors.

Have to agree. The money B&Q sponsered her would have been better spent on the likes of the Health Service and opening up wards in hospitals. At the end of the day she chose to sit in a boat for 72 hours and nobody held a gun to her head so why should we have to listen to reports about it forever and a day.

And before anybody attacks me because I live in Ireland - the same goes on over here. Money wasted in the wrong quarters while hospital queues get longer. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Shegull said:
Have to agree. The money B&Q sponsered her would have been better spent on the likes of the Health Service and opening up wards in hospitals. At the end of the day she chose to sit in a boat for 72 hours and nobody held a gun to her head so why should we have to listen to reports about it forever and a day.

And before anybody attacks me because I live in Ireland - the same goes on over here. Money wasted in the wrong quarters while hospital queues get longer. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

WTF are you talking about?

Why would B & Q give all their advertising budget to a hospital ward? Blame the goverment for hospital waiting lists not the sponsor of a catamaran getting world wide coverage

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Did you ever hear of substantial donations. I for one would think a lot more of a large Company who donated to a hospital than to advertise somebody who chooses to sail around the world. At the end of the day who gains from that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Listening to people on the radio saying they've just stopped crying-f***ing 'ell people! Get a grip ffs. She's sailed a state of the art boat loaded with technology that's been funded by B&Q, the bloody thing practically drives itself and she's had enough training to make sure the record was broken. Sure, it's a tremendous achievement but I bet most NSCers would be able to achieve what she's done with that level of funding, technology and training-provided there was a broadband connection on board:lolol:

Some Scotsman is on Radio 2 at the moment complaining that she has just spent 71 days breaking the law of the sea and has been 'Damed' for it:lolol: He said that she hadn't kept proper watch or control of her vessel at all times.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Shame it wasn't Focus DIY or Wickes sponsoring her then that would have given you something else to moan about. Sailing is definitely not my bag but i admire someone who has risked their life to go around the world on their own...beating the world record or not!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lammy said:

CHEAT!

I was looking though whats been posted before I said exactly the same thing. OK she has sailed around the world, but at the shortest longitude (or is it latitude) she could find.

I imagined that she would sail down to the bottom of South America, then up again and across the pacific past Hawaii then down past China etc then India until she reach Africa and then up to UK again

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Shegull said:
Did you ever hear of substantial donations. I for one would think a lot more of a large Company who donated to a hospital than to advertise somebody who chooses to sail around the world. At the end of the day who gains from that.

I think you're missing the point

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lammy said:

It was still 27,348 MILES !!

Well done Dame Ellen - Britains greatest sporting hero (according to the current BBC poll) :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here