Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes, good enough to be a squad player for sure - but squad places are limited. Propper didn't feature much in thhe later part of last season, when we showed distinct signs of improvement. Time to move on, simple as that really - he's still a good player, but doesn't fit our profile going forward.
Sadly, my present feeling is that Alzate and Molumby will go for peanuts (mainly for their own good).

I think you may be right. Our policy is to bring youth through where possible AND buy young talent. In some cases though we will be able to buy better than we have. Would I like to see Alzate and Molumby anchor our midfield in the future? Of course. The problem is, I don't want us to pass up the chance to bring in better players either.

Last season wasn't particularly great for Alzate or Molumby. Alzate didn't look particularly convincing when he played and Molumby barely got a run (7 starts + 8 sub) in a PNE side that finished 13th in the Championship. We're hardly a side that doesn't give youth players a chance either with Sanchez, March, Dunk and White all being huge contributors this season.

What I do think is that as usual, we'll sign a couple of players, Potter will bring some youth players in with the first team for pre-season and whoever makes the cut, makes the cut. The future for Alzate and Molumby is less certain and I can see a £2-3m deal being found.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whilst we all like to speculate about these deals, I do wish some posters would try to accept that they really don't know what the club's bosses are thinking and what are the actual finances behind the scenes.
By all means speculate but please don't pretend to be involved and really in the know.
You aren't! :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you may be right. Our policy is to bring youth through where possible AND buy young talent. .

Or old talent. Ashworth's interview in the Athletic was good on this - where he said we had to look in different markets. That doesn't Brighton are not spending (a lot) on fees or wages on sometimes experienced players but it does mean we're often taking a risk. Lallana and Welbeck were as much risks due to their injuries as looking for young prospects in the Polish League (Moder), The Championship (Webster), or Austrian League (Mwepu) or South America (Caicedo, MacAllister). .
Where its unlikely is being in for experienced , 23/24 year old PL or La Liga or Bundesliga players who play for their Champions League teams. Out of our budget. I guess its our job to create those and then sell them onto Arsenal or Everton or Chelsea or abroad for ££ (Bissouma, White, Sanchez might fall into this category this season or next). Of course if you do that...then it can sometimes fail. No guarantee a Moder or MacAllister or Caicedo are going to turn into a Bissouma. Bissouma didn't look like Bissouma until about 15 months ago and AliJ who looked outstanding as a 22/23 year old in the Eridivisie is a good example of someone who has still to shine consistently for us in the Premier League.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2650407/2...tial-is-helping-keep-pace-with-richer-rivals/

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If he is as good as everyone says he is it wouldn't surprise me if we get gazumped at the 11th hour.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
This does seems like a typical Potter signing. He's a player that looks lke he can play in multiple positions. A lot of people are saying he's going to slot into the CM position, but It looks like most of his games he's played recenty have been at RM, not CM. And he's not the type of player to just sit in front of a back 4, so doesn't seem like a Biss replacement.

So I think Potter will play him more as RW/RM. He's already played a lot of games at right midfield (37 games, 14 goals, 9 assists and 2 games at RW with 1 goal and 1 assist according to Transfermarkt). it also looks like he would provide decent protection on the right flank, with Lamptey behind and overlapping.

That would mean no central/attacking midfielders would be affected by this signing. Although the other new signing, Jeremy Sarmiento, could be, but he's not going to be going into the first team straight away anyway.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Nicolas Gonzalez and Darwin Nunez probably fall into that category

We weren't gazumped on those 2. We were simply declined by the player choosing to take the offer from another club that had always been interested alongside us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nicolas Gonzalez and Darwin Nunez probably fall into that category

Well Pritchard was quite the thing. But yes. Fees agreed with multiple clubs and they don't pick us has happened a couple of times . And we've had a couple of failed medicals although that is very rare as well. Not technically gazumping i guess but bumps at the last minute. As for Mwepu though - then sounds like its all wrapped up.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We weren't gazumped on those 2. We were simply declined by the player choosing to take the offer from another club that had always been interested alongside us.

It's pretty much the same as Pritchard though. If you take out the drama surrounding the M25 nonsense, both Brighton and Norwich had bids accepted and Pritchard chose them over us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's pretty much the same as Pritchard though. If you take out the drama surrounding the M25 nonsense, both Brighton and Huddersfield had bids accepted and Pritchard chose them over us.

Norwich :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he is as good as everyone says he is it wouldn't surprise me if we get gazumped at the 11th hour.

Liverpool were allegedly interested a year ago but the price was 34 million Euros, considered too high.. Assuming this is true why wouldn't they still be interested at low 20s?

I have the same fear as you whatever term is used to describe it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

By the other clubs offering better wages. It happened with Stephen Ward too. Grabban stayed at Bournemouth for better wages after accepting our terms.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Well Pritchard was quite the thing. But yes. Fees agreed with multiple clubs and they don't pick us has happened a couple of times . And we've had a couple of failed medicals although that is very rare as well. Not technically gazumping i guess but bumps at the last minute. As for Mwepu though - then sounds like its all wrapped up.

It does sound like it. It's got more of the feel of the Izquierdo transfer than a Nunez one

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Brighton face competition from Borussia Dortmund and Borussia Monchengladbach for RB Salzburg midfielder Enock Mwepu.

(Via: The Express)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Brighton face competition from Borussia Dortmund and Borussia Monchengladbach for RB Salzburg midfielder Enock Mwepu.

(Via: The Express)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Get the feeling this is old news as everything yesterday was geared up about agreements and medicals etc. Argus and Athletic all very positive too giving impression things were close to being wrapped up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here