Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It seems you (and quite a few others in this thread) have written off Molumby. Have I missed something?

I haven't written the guy off, but then I don't see him every day in training like Potter. He had a good season with Millwall, he couldn't break into our team, he was loaned to PNE, that didn't work out, and in the meantime Potter has bought Moder, Caicedo and - apparently - Mwepu.

Personally, I'd be surprised if he makes it at the Albion, but if he moves to the right Championship club I think he could become a decent Prem player in time. He is only 21.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I find it hard to take anyone who has chosen a user name 'chipolopolodh' seriously ..........................

The Zambia national football team represents Zambia in men's international association football and it is governed by the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ). During the 1980s, they were known as the KK 11, after founding president Dr. Kenneth Kaunda ("KK") who ruled Zambia from 1964 to 1991. After the country adopted multiparty politics, the side was nicknamed Chipolopolo, the "Copper Bullets".

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This

The other player i worry for is Jenks.I know he out on loan but a midfield player that can score goals.A rare commodity

Is he ever going to get the chance at the Albion?

Depends how well the "Potentially a flaming homo"* does up there in the land that Celtic and Rangers both agree is shite, doesn't it?

* Copyright Aberdeen Fans' Forum 2021.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It seems you (and quite a few others in this thread) have written off Molumby. Have I missed something?

He was certainly in Potter's plans for the first half of last season - made two starts in the Carabao Cup (one against Man Utd).............

I think the list of players who have played in the Carabao Cup (or the equivalent: a pre-season friendly) but haven't featured in the first team in the league is probably quite a long one. Roberts and Richards off the top of my head for starters, maybe?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why? He's a Chipolopolo die hard - Mwepu's former club.
'Chipolopolo' .............

I'm still having the same difficulty! :)

The Zambia national football team represents Zambia in men's international association football and it is governed by the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ). During the 1980s, they were known as the KK 11, after founding president Dr. Kenneth Kaunda ("KK") who ruled Zambia from 1964 to 1991. After the country adopted multiparty politics, the side was nicknamed Chipolopolo, the "Copper Bullets".
Oh well, fair enough I suppose. :thumbsup:

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Amended to suggest a possible answer for you.

Try 6 years, but that still doesn't make it make sense.

Had we got a good fee for Propper I could see the logic behind this, but that the club were seemingly so desperate to get rid of him that an offer of nothing up front was accepted, could only mean he wasn't needed at all and the club wouldn't need to spend money to replace him. Propper was more than good enough to be a squad player after all.

Anyway, let's hope Mwepu turns out to be a fantastic signing, and it doesn't mean we give away Alzate or Molumby for peanuts too.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Had we got a good fee for Propper I could see the logic behind this, but that the club were seemingly so desperate to get rid of him that an offer of nothing up front was accepted, could only mean he wasn't needed at all and the club wouldn't need to spend money to replace him. Propper was more than good enough to be a squad player after all.

Anyway, let's hope Mwepu turns out to be a fantastic signing, and it doesn't mean we give away Alzate or Molumby for peanuts too.

Yes, good enough to be a squad player for sure - but squad places are limited. Propper didn't feature much in thhe later part of last season, when we showed distinct signs of improvement. Time to move on, simple as that really - he's still a good player, but doesn't fit our profile going forward.
Sadly, my present feeling is that Alzate and Molumby will go for peanuts (mainly for their own good).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

As a minimum it’s an instant wages saving for someone no longer figuring in Potter’s plans so probably 2-2.5m a year……….and we really don’t know the detail behind the deal (we never do). Unlikely that Barber et al are chucking money away.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Propper cost £10m and all of that fee was written off over his 4 years with us. PSV now pay his salary and we no longer have that commitment. That’s the way football works apart from the odd gems that can be sold for big capital gain. It’s also why the Albion prefer buying raw potential rather than the then established (and record signing) 24 year old Davy Propper. Ashworth/Potter want to refresh and enhance midfield. The economics behind Propper’s move make sense especially in these covid football finance times.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Enock Mwepu

At least he gets a mention unlike 22yr old Romanian international defensive midfielder Tudor Băluță who’ll shortly be playing in the Olympic U23 football tournament that starts in just over 2 weeks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Others have made several valid points about Propper, but I'd add that we also should want to develop a reputation for working with players and their wishes, rather than merely treating them as assets. We've had fantastic service from DP over four years. The last one didn't work out for him, and I suspect his desire was to play regular football. Given that service and the fact that his contract was running down and he got decent wages, seems like the right decision to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Others have made several valid points about Propper, but I'd add that we also should want to develop a reputation for working with players and their wishes, rather than merely treating them as assets. We've had fantastic service from DP over four years. The last one didn't work out for him, and I suspect his desire was to play regular football. Given that service and the fact that his contract was running down and he got decent wages, seems like the right decision to me.

Totally logical decision and best for all parties I imagine

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Propper probably disappointed to fall out of the Netherlands set up completely since Potter took over. If Potter doesn't want to play him, no point keeping a decent player like that on the bench. So good business sense from all to get him a move

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here