Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enoch Powell

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Harty mentioned being 40 years ahead of his time. Some people would contend he's 60 or 70 years ahead of his time, in that the real threat on decision-making in this country comes from the influence of Muslim fundamentalism, Sharia Law and the decline in the strength of the Christian churches.

The days when a politician can make a speech like that are gone.

At that time there were far fewer of the immigrants to which he referred, and now we have third, fourth, fifth generation.

Thankfully, we are a tolerant society but it's about time we had a sensible immigration policy, a proper grip on numbers in and out. It's also time to check the whole "PC" agenda - sometimes we go too far the other way.
good post :clap:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Harty mentioned being 40 years ahead of his time. Some people would contend he's 60 or 70 years ahead of his time, in that the real threat on decision-making in this country comes from the influence of Muslim fundamentalism, Sharia Law and the decline in the strength of the Christian churches.

The days when a politician can make a speech like that are gone.

At that time there were far fewer of the immigrants to which he referred, and now we have third, fourth, fifth generation.

It's interesting that we're at the low end of his estimates for non-white population so he was pretty spot on.
But, as I said earlier, this rise has not led to a breakdown in law and order nor to widespread social problems.

I see no reason to assume that the next 20 years will be very different from the last 40. Most of know non-white people these days, something that wasn't the case 40 years ago. Kids in some areas go to school where something like 20 or 30 languages (or more) are spoken and are used to the idea that people come from different cultures. My own kids think nothing of the fact that some of their classmates are a different colour to them.

Over the last few centuries, we've absorbed Huguenots, freed slaves, the Irish, Ashkenazi Jews, refugees from Nazis, West Indians, Ugandan Asians, Vietnamese boat people, Hong Kong Chinese and EU east Europeans - not to mention assorted south Asians and Africans. The fabric of society hasn't broken down, we've not had wholescale riots, people have been assimilated into British society, sometimes adopted English names (as my ancestors did) and married Brits. It's happened before and it will happen again. That's why Powell was so wrong - it's only now we can see how wrong he was.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think with previous immigration there hasn't been the challenge to lawmaking or human rights. This could change.

France has banned the burkha, we haven't. It's these sorts of little victories that some people worry about in terms of being the thin end of the wedge.

There is increasing apathy towards politics in general and it is hard to find people to stand as parish or district counsellors. The more apathetic, secular and multi-cultural we get the easier it will be for Muslims intent on changing the machinery of lawmaking to push their agenda.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
France has banned the burkha, we haven't.

France hasn't "banned the burkha", France has banned religious symbols from school. It's also banned turbans, yamulkes and crosses too.

France keeps religion out of state schools - I would be utterly delighted if we did it - but it's not going to happen over here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry - a bit pedantic perhaps - I should have said "The French President has called for the burkha to be banned whilst other religious symbols HAVE been banned".

The point is France has gone further than we have, and I think this is an indication that our politicans are now afraid to touch these issues because we're gone too far down the PC road.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's interesting that we're at the low end of his estimates for non-white population so he was pretty spot on.
But, as I said earlier, this rise has not led to a breakdown in law and order nor to widespread social problems.

I see no reason to assume that the next 20 years will be very different from the last 40. Most of know non-white people these days, something that wasn't the case 40 years ago. Kids in some areas go to school where something like 20 or 30 languages (or more) are spoken and are used to the idea that people come from different cultures. My own kids think nothing of the fact that some of their classmates are a different colour to them.

Over the last few centuries, we've absorbed Huguenots, freed slaves, the Irish, Ashkenazi Jews, refugees from Nazis, West Indians, Ugandan Asians, Vietnamese boat people, Hong Kong Chinese and EU east Europeans - not to mention assorted south Asians and Africans. The fabric of society hasn't broken down, we've not had wholescale riots, people have been assimilated into British society, sometimes adopted English names (as my ancestors did) and married Brits. It's happened before and it will happen again. That's why Powell was so wrong - it's only now we can see how wrong he was.
But, as I said earlier, this rise has not led to a breakdown in law and order nor to widespread social problems.i disagree,tell them that in northern mill towns or other industrial towns with a high ethnic minority poulation, you lived in tooting, id be shocked if you can show me one person born and bred in tooting who is happy with the way it has become a predominantly asian area over the last 25 years
Kids in some areas go to school where something like 20 or 30 languages (or more) are spoken great if you're happy for your kids to be held back while things are explained to the non english speaking kids
Over the last few centuries, we've absorbed Huguenots, freed slaves, the Irish, Ashkenazi Jews, refugees from Nazis, West Indians, Ugandan Asians, Vietnamese boat people, Hong Kong Chinese and EU east Europeans - not to mention assorted south Asians and Africans. at nowhere near the speed or numbers we have over the last 13 years.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry - a bit pedantic perhaps - I should have said "The French President has called for the burkha to be banned whilst other religious symbols HAVE been banned".

The point is France has gone further than we have, and I think this is an indication that our politicans are now afraid to touch these issues because we're gone too far down the PC road.

Ah...OK. I was mixing up two things: the ban on religious symbols in schools which HAS been implemented

You were talking about Sarkozy's speech in which he called for the burka to be banned. I agree that's a bold move but you have to remember the context: France, while nominally a Catholic country, is determinedly secular in outlook. It was only a matter of time before the ban on religious symbols in schools was carried over into other walks of life. It couldn't happen in Britain, not because we've gone too far down the PC road (whatever that means) but because we have a state religion and no particular taste for secularism.

I'd be delighted if there was a concerted attack on religious symbols but can you imagine the furore in the Mail if a government banned people from wearing crosses?

I wonder if it crossed Sarko's mind that if his missus had worn a burka occasionally, she wouldn't embarrass him so much :lol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Disagree with him by all means , but a failed actor dismissing a classics fellow of trinity college cambridge and a man who went from private, to the youngest brigadier in the british army during ww11 as a 'f***ing idiot' is a touch ironic :lolol:

I didn't say he was uneducated or that he didn't acheive anything I said he was a f***ing idiot.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
disagree,tell them that in northern mill towns or other industrial towns with a high ethnic minority poulation, you lived in tooting, id be shocked if you can show me one person born and bred in tooting who is happy with the way it has become a predominantly asian area over the last 25 years...

at nowhere near the speed or numbers we have over the last 13 years.[/B]

As I've said before, Moulescoomb is growing more multicultural all the time. I was raised there and would have no problems if it was 70 or 80% black or Asian. I lived in northern mill town - I was in Bradford for three years and had no problems (even though we were the only white people in the street at one address). The only problems there with different Pakistani gangs trying to muscle in on each other's drug business.

As I pointed out, we're not increasing the non-white population excessively, We're in line with Powell's predictions and despite this, there haven't been huge problems.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disagree with him by all means , but a failed actor dismissing a classics fellow of trinity college cambridge and a man who went from private, to the youngest brigadier in the british army during ww11 as a 'f***ing idiot' is a touch ironic :lolol:

Agree with this.

Whatever you say about Powell, it's clear he was no idiot. Probably one of the cleverest people ever in UK public office.

That's why his speech was such a tragedy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agree with this.

Whatever you say about Powell, it's clear he was no idiot. Probably one of the cleverest people ever in UK public office.

That's why his speech was such a tragedy.

You are quite right. Idiots don't get anywhere in life do they.

boris-johnson-yawn_667484n.jpg

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Enoch was the only man on any side of WW2 who joined as a private and finished as a Brigadier. He helped plan the turning point victory of El Alamein - defeating Rommel, his only close rival in military brainpower amongst the brass of any side. Before that he was almost the youngest University professor in the world, only beaten by a matter of months, while in Australia. He was learning his 12th (I think) language in his 70s.

I haven't read the rest of this thread as I am a lazy bastard, but to call him an idiot is, well, just f*** off. Enoch Powell was one of the most intelligent brains this country has produced, in any period of history. That's why the left have smeared him mercilessly, he pissed over every one of their dipshit luminaries, and still does. They were and still are terrified by his redoubtable logic and reason.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Being an idiot and being highly intelligent are not mutually exclusive my darlings.He was a massive racist which and spoke openly about this. An idiotic thing to do and idiotic beleifs to hold. I think some of you should try and understand what it is I am actually saying. And please stop posting his biog, I know all this stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Being an idiot and being highly intelligent are not mutually exclusive my darlings.

id·i·ot   [id-ee-uht]
–noun
an utterly foolish or senseless person.
Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Please explain how someone can be "highly intelligent" and be "senseless" - because that beats me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here