Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enoch Powell

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Didn't Enoch Powell have a bit of an issue people with learning disabilities too?

Brilliant man who wouldn't be accepted now because of the pathetic way we have to confront immigration. You are being racist if you mention a persons colour or anyone coming into the country.

:lolol::lolol:

sorry but I am larfing myself silly......

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was he 40 years ahead of his time?

And if a member of the Tory shadow cabinet made a simular speech this week would he get the kind of media stick Powell got?

No.

And they would be instantly sacked, and possibly charged with inciting racial hatred.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What he said would be the case reads a lot like what the BNP are saying is the case now, so I guess he was ahead of his time. In a sense...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
one day Ian Hart will shock us all and come out with a thought, quip, gag or idea which pertains to at least the 80s.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
one day Ian Hart will shock us all and come out with a thought, quip, gag or idea which pertains to at least the 80s.

And one day Noel you will get your head out of your arse.

Having read about the speech on wikipedia, in light of the fact that it was credited as getting Ted Heath elected two years later, it was just a question about how it would be viewed in today's campaign.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It would set the cat amongst the pidgeons if quoted today, mainly because most racism is on the left these days as it gets intertwined in their quasi-religous mantra about multi culturalism and multi-racism.

Labour have been busted by one of their advisors about what they were up to and now the BNP are going to split the Labour vote and hand the tories 30 odd seats.

This isn't parroted widley as with other matters concerning the BNP its the elephant in the room that people choose to ignore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And one day Noel you will get your head out of your arse.

Having read about the speech on wikipedia, in light of the fact that it was credited as getting Ted Heath elected two years later, it was just a question about how it would be viewed in today's campaign.

As I said, maybe one day you'll come up with something which pertains to at least the 80s.

And it's Noele by the way. Not Noel.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Just one person, an American academic put forward that theory. It's not a widely held belief. This long BBC piece for example, doesn't mention it as a possible theory
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | The Basics | past_elections | 1970: Heath's surprise victory

I remember that election- the first one that I really recall and I don't remember Enoch Powell's views being a factor. England's defeat to West Germany probably played a bigger part - Harold Wilson thought so.

Edward Heath and Enoch Powell hated each other - they didn't have a single conversation after the Birmingham speech. I don't see why people who supported Powell would vote in large numbers for an arch-enemy of his.

Malcolm Millichip

Jun 9, 2009
and after his speech he quoted that famous Jew who covered his face in soot when he said ''You aint seen nothing yet''

as for PC well thats the mistaken belief that you can pick a turd up at the clean end.

D

Deleted User X18H

If anyone in opposition made a speech similar to Powells in the next three weeks, I think the reaction and reception to it, would be far more radical than anyone is prepared to admit. Yes it would be considered as perhaps in inciting racial hatred in this day and age but perhaps a radical development like this may open the floodgates to dissolve much of the political correctness we are all tied up in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The rivers of blood speach.. Has anyone actually read the speach in full? What THE GREAT MAN said differs from what he is reported to have said. Twisting his words springs to mind. NASTY LITTE LEFT WING PRESS!

Which particular words do you have in mind (and yes, I have read the speech)?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harty mentioned being 40 years ahead of his time. Some people would contend he's 60 or 70 years ahead of his time, in that the real threat on decision-making in this country comes from the influence of Muslim fundamentalism, Sharia Law and the decline in the strength of the Christian churches.

The days when a politician can make a speech like that are gone.

At that time there were far fewer of the immigrants to which he referred, and now we have third, fourth, fifth generation.

Thankfully, we are a tolerant society but it's about time we had a sensible immigration policy, a proper grip on numbers in and out. It's also time to check the whole "PC" agenda - sometimes we go too far the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here