Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's R16 Opponents - Confirmed as Slovakia

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I swear Romania was 'Rumania' when I was a kid.
IMG_4335.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Balls, I messed up my earlier update.

If Czechia (or whoever finishes 3rd in group F, could also be Türkiye or Georgia) go through and Hungary go out,
we play 3E which could be any one of four.

If 3F and Hungary go through, putting out 3E,
or if 3F go out,
we play 3D, Netherlands.

We can no longer play 3F.

Thanks for that (assuming you're right). So I'd like Czech to beat Turkey by 1 or 2, meaning we play Turkey (rather than Holland). If they win by more, then Turkey would be out. Of course Georgia beating Portugal would also do it, but I can't see that happening.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
These 1001 scenarios of who might play who is rubbish and a massive turn off for fan engagement.
Add the Profit and Sustainability manipulation by various organisations that own Premier League clubs and it all becomes quite depressing, and that is before we start discussing the park and ride from the Amex.

Some early wins under Herr Hürzeler will soon sort out my current football mood!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've removed the highly unlikely opponents, this is who England will play on route to certain glory.

ROUND OF 16
Slovakia or Romania
or
Czechia or Turkiye
or
Netherlands

1/4 FINAL
Italy or Switzerland

SEMI FINAL
Belgium
or
Austria
or
Turkiye

FINAL
Spain
or
France
or
Germany
or
Portugal

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
This from bbc footie chat made me chuckle:

Brilliant tournament tactics from the Dutch. Contrived not to win or draw against Austria, even gifting them an own goal. All to set up a possible meeting with England and therefore advance.

Now that's a cunning plan."
The way they've been going on about it here, you'd think they've already beaten us.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
From what I can see, England need the Czech Republic to beat Turkey tomorrow to avoid facing Netherlands and get one from Group E. Assuming Belgium overcome Ukraine, that would be Slovakia or Romania.

England in the 'easier' half of the draw. Although I'm not sure that anything is easier for them unless they up their game.

It was ,not sure when it changed

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

How old are you?!

In English, the name of the country was originally borrowed from French "Roumania" (<"Roumanie"), then evolved into "Rumania", but was eventually replaced after World War II by the name used officially: "Romania". The "u" form saw use in English texts as late as 1978.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Thanks for that (assuming you're right). So I'd like Czech to beat Turkey by 1 or 2, meaning we play Turkey (rather than Holland). If they win by more, then Turkey would be out. Of course Georgia beating Portugal would also do it, but I can't see that happening.
Nope. We can't play anyone from F in the next round now.

It basically now boils down to: if Hungary go through, we play Netherlands - if Hungary go out, we play 3rd from Group E.

For Hungary to go out and us to avoid Netherlands, you need either:

1. Whoever comes 3rd in Group E to have drawn or lost and have a total GD of -3 or better (-2 to avoid a tie on GD). That probably means a Belgium win and a Slovakia win by 4 or less, putting Ukraine out and Romania through.

Or:

2. Czechia to beat Türkiye by 1 or 2 (1 to avoid a tie on GD).

Ties in the group of 3rds go to GD, GS, wins, DPs, EQ ranking. (I haven't bothered looking beyond GD as I have work to do...)

*I think!

:shootself

Last edited:

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking

It basically now boils down to: if Hungary go through, we play Netherlands - if Hungary go out, we play 3rd from Group E.

For Hungary to go out and us to avoid Netherlands, you need either:

1. Whoever comes 3rd in Group E to have drawn or lost and have a total GD of -3 or better (-2 to avoid a tie on GD). That probably means a Belgium win and a Slovakia win by 4 or less, putting Ukraine out and Romania through.

Or:

2. Czechia to beat Türkiye by 1 or 2 (1 to avoid a tie on GD).

Ties in the group of 3rds go to GD, GS, wins, DPs, EQ ranking. (I haven't bothered looking beyond GD as I have work to do...)

*I think!

:shootself
(And if Georgia win you're golden)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I prefered the previous format. Tournament flew by and was done in 3 weeks. Now we have 36 games to eliminate just 8 nations at the start.
I agree but they'll never go back to a 16 team tournament. So it's either stick with 24 or increase to 32

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I prefered the previous format. Tournament flew by and was done in 3 weeks. Now we have 36 games to eliminate just 8 nations at the start.
World Cup 2026 is going to be utterly ludicrous.

SEVENTY TWO GAMES just to go from 48 to 32 teams.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
World Cup 2026 is going to be utterly ludicrous.

SEVENTY TWO GAMES just to go from 48 to 32 teams.
It's crazy!! I've just looked at the schedule on the FIFA website - the whole tournament lasts from 11th June to 19th July (39 days, I think). For the group stages there are sometimes SIX matches on the same day!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh yes, my mistake. I think I was right about the results, just not which group we'd play.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I agree but they'll never go back to a 16 team tournament. So it's either stick with 24 or increase to 32

When teams like Scotland are stinking out the place, you might as well add another eight teams to the tournament

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here