Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England World Cup Starting line-up

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
purely because he is expected to sit for lampard....

the partnership together is not working so clearly one of them has to be dropped....

and u cannot drop steven gerrard IMO....

But isn't the problem that he doesn't...if he did there wouldn't be a problem.

He is without doubt a fantastic player but based on form for England he is poor.

Also to be fair when he played with Scholes he did not score many either...we need Lamps for his goal threat..otherwise we are expecting Rooney, Owen and maybe Cole to score all our goals

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i like to see a left winger bomb down the wing hit the byline and cross the ball left footed naturally...
And you think Downing would do that in the World Cup ?

Naah, sorry. Cole provides an all-round threat from the left. He's quick, nimble, can deliver from wide (see equaliser v Uruguay), he can score goals, he's ALWAYS involved in an attacking sense, and has now discovered the discipline to track back and do the right thing in the right areas.

Cole is NAILED ON for that left-midfield slot, he has been superb lately.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Easy 10 said:

Naah, sorry. Cole provides an all-round threat from the left. He's quick, nimble, can deliver from wide (see equaliser v Uruguay), he can score goals, he's ALWAYS involved in an attacking sense, and has now discovered the discipline to track back and do the right thing in the right areas.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
blockhseagull said:
But isn't the problem that he doesn't...if he did there wouldn't be a problem.

He is without doubt a fantastic player but based on form for England he is poor.

Also to be fair when he played with Scholes he did not score many either...we need Lamps for his goal threat..otherwise we are expecting Rooney, Owen and maybe Cole to score all our goals

im afraid i disagree...

gerrard is a must for me...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
But our game is not about wingers bombing down the wings firing in crosses, after all our starting strikers are all under 5ft 10. Cole offers an option down the left to change the system to 3 in the centre with one out of beckham lampard or gerrard to sit a bit deeper. I think our failing before has been we are too predictable, with Crouch on the bench it is also a different option we have not had available before. Then throw into the hat SWP it could be an exciting tournament.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Easy 10 said:

i agree joe cole will start...

i think thats obvious...

that wasn't my point...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
im afraid i disagree...

gerrard is a must for me...

Well it's all about opinions i wish they could both play together...... Gerrard just hasn't been good enough for England for me...last week against Uraguay on his home ground with a holding midfielder he was still poor

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i agree joe cole will start...

i think thats obvious...

that wasn't my point...
But you'd rather have Downing in Coles place on the left wing ?
And you'd drop Lampard before Gerrard ?

I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree, but its a game of opinions I suppose...

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Easy 10 said:
But you'd rather have Downing in Coles place on the left wing ?
And you'd drop Lampard before Gerrard ?

I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree, but its a game of opinions I suppose...

it sure is...

So a World Cup of Joe Cole constantly trying to cut inside on his right foot and losing the ball beckons then.... joy.

He was very good against Uruguay I'll give him that but last night he looked distinctly average compared to all those world class players on the other team, this was on his preferred side as well. I'm afraid if/when England come up against Brazil this Summer we can kiss goodbye to our chances of winning because Ronaldinho on his own could beat us.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
So a World Cup of Joe Cole constantly trying to cut inside on his right foot and losing the ball beckons then.... joy.

He was very good against Uruguay I'll give him that but last night he looked distinctly average compared to all those world class players on the other team, this was on his preferred side as well. I'm afraid if/when England come up against Brazil this Summer we can kiss goodbye to our chances of winning because Ronaldinho on his own could beat us.

:bowdown:

here he is....

Thankyou. You can get up now.

Actually, stay down cos I agree with you about Gerrard too. We shouldn't judge him on 45 minutes in a friendly - he looked terrified of getting injured if you ask me - Yes Lampard scores lots but what else does he do? Gerrard IS the better all round midfielder and he does score too some of you might've noticed.

Besides, wouldn't Fat Frank be a great goalscoring option coming off the bench if we're chasing a game?

E

enigma

I dont think a left winger has to be left footed... look at Nedved and Pires for example.

Joe Cole used to lose the ball a lot but he has improved massively in that area and is now one of Englands most in form players. He did set up the goal and score last time. Who else could you play on the left?

Last night, He didnt play that well, but none of the attacking players... He did play that great ball in for Crespo.

I still think his natural position is a number 10, like Bergkamp for example. I think if he had been Italian or Spanish they would have played him there and he would have developed a lot quicker.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Robinson (GK)
G Neville (RB)
Ferdinand (CB)
Terry (CB)
A Cole (if fit, if not fit then W Bridge) (LB)
Gerrard (DM)
Beckham (CM)
Lampard (CM)
J Cole (AM)
Rooney (CF)
Owen (CF)

That would be my team, would prefer Ashley Cole at left back, but he is not available I would play Wayne Bridge

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
i'd rather have downing or keiran richardson start left wing for my country....

both provide width and shape to the side...

enigma said:
I dont think a left winger has to be left footed... look at Nedved and Pires for example.

Joe Cole used to lose the ball a lot but he has improved massively in that area and is now one of Englands most in form players. He did set up the goal and score last time. Who else could you play on the left?

I think the formation that's staring us smack bang in the face is 3-5-2. It worked well for Hoddle.

Joe Cole's a great player and he's improved massively but compare him last night to Ronaldinho - the gulf in class was huuuuuge. Now the toothy one, THAT's a playmaker. And why I don't think England will win the WC. Unless we get a bit of luck for a change, a flukey last minute penalty or summit.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
we cannot compete with the side we have on the big stage against brazil who will be way to strong...

only team who can challenge brazil on a good day is argetina...

they also have a creative genius's in messi and riquelme...

something this country serverely lacks at the top level....

E

enigma

Fair enough, I would agree that the 3-5-2 should have been tried at some stage or another. Would you play Beckham or G.Nev at right wing back? I would go for Beckham.

Joe Cole wouldnt be in my 3-5-2 team, I would play Lampard and Gerrard along with a holding mid. He would be the supersub for me.

I agree with you, I dont think England will win the world cup- for a variety of reasons. England are a quarter final/semi final team.

Joe Cole is not as good as ROnaldinho but theres no shame in that. Even the likes of Totti and Kaka, better players than Cole, arent as good as him.

Agree, would go for Beckham as wing back as his defensive skills have improved greatly over the last few years, indeed there was talk of him being our holding midfielder at one point.
This way we could play Lampard, Gerrard AND the holding mid and yes Cole would be a great option coming off the bench.

sirmax2004

Sep 7, 2005
Brighton
3-5-2 may well work but I doubt we'll ever know as it's too late to be trying out new systems and I don't think sven is interested in anything other than 4-4-2. Our lack of a plan B may be our downfall in germany.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here