Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs Krauts

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
He played well until he had to cross. Apart from the one Terry headed in, he must have had 10-15 crosses that just trundled along the ground to be hoofed clear by a defender. If you take crossing out of it then he was quite good I admit.

Kin Hell. What game were you watching? Downing set up a goal for Terry with an excellent cross. Put one in on the half volley that we almost scored from and had free kicks and shots on target from crossing positions. What more do you want? Even though SWP had a great game his final ball is the one to criticise from last night not Downing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kin Hell. What game were you watching? Downing set up a goal for Terry with an excellent cross. Put one in on the half volley that we almost scored from and had free kicks and shots on target from crossing positions. What more do you want? Even though SWP had a great game his final ball is the one to criticise from last night not Downing.

BOTH goals, in fact...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Downing did okay but i still don't like him. I would have liked to have seen more of Ashley Young too, not sure why he's gettig so little game time.

Bent was poor, he should have scored when he went round their keeper and when Agbonlahor had that shot saved I noticed that Bent wasn't busting a gut to get in the box for the cross. This leads me to believe he hasn't got the striker's instinct to compete at international level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Downing did okay but i still don't like him. I would have liked to have seen more of Ashley Young too, not sure why he's gettig so little game time.

Bent was poor, he should have scored when he went round their keeper and when Agbonlahor had that shot saved I noticed that Bent wasn't busting a gut to get in the box for the cross. This leads me to believe he hasn't got the striker's instinct to compete at international level.

All spot on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have to say I also think it was Downing's best game for England but I still do not think he is good enough. From open play his crossing was not getting past the first defender, something a lot of posters berate Cox for. You cannot credit him with assisting the first goal. He just put the corner into the 6yrd box. A better keeper would have dealt with it and we got a goal from the scramble that ensued. Fair play, he had one great shot but easily saved by the keeper but then when through due to a slip by a defender, on his left foot, put the shot well wide. Cross for the second goal was ok but you have to give more credit to Terry for getting on the end of it. What the German defender was trying to do heaven knows.

As for SWP, I would say he had his best game by a long way. However, I would still go for a fit Walcott on the right of midfield.

Taxi for Carson. He exudes no confidence whatsoever and yes, Terry should have cleared the ball but he has to rely on calls from his keeper.

Finally, would all the Capello whingers please put their hands up and admit, he is do an excellent job. The team have respect again, we have only lost once in 10 and this includes away wins in the fortress of Croatia and of Berlin.
Roll on the next qualifier.

And yes, we can win the World Cup but like any other team in the tournament we will also need a little luck along the way.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Whilst Terry could have used the old adage 'if in doubt, hit it out', i'm definitely taking the unfashionable route and will be blaming Carson for this one. Carson should have commanded the situation, he had the best view of what was going on, he could see the German coming and he should have claimed that ball far quicker. In the replay you can see him stuttering his walk towards the situation.

Personally i'm not a huge Terry fan, but was impressed that he was very noble in accepting the blame for something that he was least at fault with

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
i put £1 on a 2-1 win at 10/1, thats abit more beer money so thanks to Terry for his usual crappy defending :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Downing is actually good enough despite being nicknamed "Drowning" by the press.

Sadly the stigma of that lardo ginger clown (not MM) being his previous club manager played against him so now hopefully he can regain his confidence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Downing's floated free kick for Terry's goal was top class, and he played really well all night. I think he's finally settling into the squad and, provided he doesn't f*** up, is the only proper left winger we've got.

Walcott is a much better player than SWP but last night showed SWP is an able replacement and enables us to keep the same pacey shape to the team player.

I echo the thoughts re taxi for Carson. Despite what Terry says I see the blame as being 50-50. James, Foster, Hart, Kirkland and Green should all be ahead of Carson The Clown.

it's amazing what Cappello has done to England. Even fairly average international players like Upson, Bridge and Johnson looked really good last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here