Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Here's some data for you Pete

We lost to a team rated 77 in the last set of rankings
They scored 275. We scored 260
We failed to bat out 50 overs

Get rid now.

Not quite England in football losing to San Marino, but it's close... what losing score would make us sack Woy? Just wondered.

But they do things different in creekit. Pity John Major isn't still PM, he would have probably ordered a public inquiry on the state of the game.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This. I saw us lose a Final in Oz in 1992 we should have won, and it's been downhill ever since. Back in 1992 Sri Lanka were treated by the "Establishment" as a joke, and Bangladesh were just a place George Harrison had sung about.

They are stuck in a Neo-colonial past, I just hope Afghanistan beat them. On R5 this morning Boycs was willing Bangladesh to win. Make him Chair of a new TCB!!

agree about Boycott...get rid of the upper class , gin swilling, cucumber munching ponces and get a wife baterring yorkshireman in charge:thumbsup:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bob Willis "Would a single one of the England team today get into the Australia, New Zealand, India or South Africa side. The answer is NO."

He's he's not wrong, is he?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
agree about Boycott...get rid of the upper class , gin swilling, cucumber munching ponces and get a wife baterring yorkshireman in charge:thumbsup:

Wife bartering would be much more acceptable, throw your keys in the bowl now Cheps.

Lords make me puke. (Sorry Steve.) I'm that old I remember seeing Colin Milburn hit a six there against Oz. And I didn't have to pay a fortune to get entry then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"England need 143 off the last 20 overs today. In the 21st century they have only once scored that many off the last 20 overs to win a full 50 over match batting second: 145 v Ireland at Dublin in 2013."

:lolol:

I LOVE stats like that:

"Only once in a March on a weekend that was an even-numbered year have they batted third and got over 243 runs whilst batting downhill in humidity of above 50% and wearing yellow."

Brilliant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Having purchased my tickets for Lords tests against Oz and NZ wondered if I should see if Lords will take them back and give me a refund

Look on the bright side, you're still likely to see some fantastic cricket.

Just not from England...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It might not get that far.

:lolol:

I realise my original post made it seem like I didn't watch much cricket but I played village for about twenty years and have spent many summer afternoons lazing in the sun at Hove or, for a season, the SCG. This is really what I was getting at though. I honestly think the Aussies are going to pick the current rabble to bits.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When the England Cricket Chairman Colin Graves hinted at a KP return, Selvey wrote an article in the Gruaniad saying it was undermining Moores and Downton, called KP a fruit fly that would not go away, and a pest. He has consistently backed Paul Downton, the managing director of England, who was appointed to the job after a 15 year career in the City of London, and was instrumental in KP's sacking.

Selvey didn't however mention that he and Downton both played together for Middlesex for many years. I asked him on Twitter why had we still not been told the reasons for KP's sacking, given that the legal embargo was over, and saying his analysis was inaccurate. He sent back a snotty Tweet back saying how did I know it's inaccurate.

I think you're a bit off calling Selvey "establishment" he's been a harsh critic of many of the goings-on on English cricket for years - anyone who gets sacked from TMS for mouthing off is scarcely one of the gin-and-tonic brigade.

Calling a KP a "fruit fly" is scarcely a sign of some old buffer - there are plenty of people in the game who have a low opinion of Figjam, I don't seeing that being anti his reinstatement makes you an establishment figure.

And I don't get this business of being mates with Downton - they played together at Middlesex for four years - the last two of which, Selvey was a fringe player. Why not say the same about Downton's predecessor, Hugh Morris, who played with Selvey at Glamorgan? (and BTW, Downton went to Exeter, not Durham).

Selvey wrote a pretty good piece in Saturday's Guardian, laying blame for the WC debacle on the English set-up that places more emphasis on tests than one-dayers: it's scarcely an article that smacks of supporting the establishment. I like reading him: he's one of the few sports writers who tells it as it is

I do agree, however, that blocking you is a bit precious: if you're in the public eye, you have to make a bit of a hit

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Bob Willis "Would a single one of the England team today get into the Australia, New Zealand, India or South Africa side. The answer is NO."

Are you over 90 yrs old don't know a lot about cricket. Then join the MCC or the ECB. You can sit in the members stand at Lords with your egg and bacon tie and pretend its 1936.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The way they play for England, no! But I think Jos Buttler for one would be close or in those teams.

I do agree, however, that blocking you is a bit precious: if you're in the public eye, you have to make a bit of a hit

Blocking people on twitter is now seen as a normal thing if you don't agree with someone, rather than if they are being abusive. Not sure what you can do about that, kind of a real lily-livered trend

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Test cricket is not the same and we will not be as bad. We need different approaches to test and limited overs format but have failed to do that

I think we WILL be shown as bad.

Australia seem to be able to cope with all three forms of the game. The way 50-over and T20 cricket is played these days, with players playing their shots from the word go, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Aussies rattle along at 4.5/5 an over for a couple of days, then watch as our plodders rack up runs at 3.5 an over if we are lucky.

Like it or not, limited overs cricket dictates the way test cricket is played these days. The sooner the old school tie brigade realise this, the better.

I'm not holding my breath

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me it starts with Peter Moores - he is the complete opposite of what is required in the modern era of limited overs cricket, a schoolteacher obsessed by stats and blind loyalty.

Thankfully, Alistair Cook was not involved in this omnishambles. I hope he is sufficiently refreshed and inspired to take these battered troops and make them competitive, but it wouldn't surprise me if this toxic performance infects the test side.

The only way back for the one-day side is to appoint an extrovert coach with an aggressive philosophy, to reinstate Pietersen and to pack the side with big hitters like Hales, Wright and Buttler at the top of the order. A team with those guys in the top 6 would - I'm sure - have won at least one match against Bangladesh and the big boys, and therefore made the Quarter-Finals.

If you have the capacity to score 300 plus then it gives the bowlers a bit more leeway as the opposition have to play shots in case they find themselves in a shootout.

This has been an unmitigated disaster, and an altogether predictable one too. I feel sorry for the fans who travelled halfway across the world for this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was 121-2 but it was slow, 26 overs gone, half the innings. Not positive enough.

Sack the ****ing lot of them. Sack Moores, sack the Irishman, sack the selectors, revolution is required here.

You forgot to add " And tell them to row back to England "

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think they should just appoint all of the ex England players that are commentating. They can talk a good game, let's see if they can organise a good one. They won't get paid as much but at least they would be doing something useful.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Selvey wrote a pretty good piece in Saturday's Guardian, laying blame for the WC debacle on the English set-up that places more emphasis on tests than one-dayers:

Quite some time ago the ECB identified the need for a division between 20/20 One Day and Test players. I'm pretty sure that if you had talent in whichever form of the game you were contracted and fast tracked in to the relevant squad, the likes of Kieswetter, Butler etc and even our own Luke Wright were given the chance to shine in what the selectors thought was their best form of the game. It's just that there seems to have been no blue sky thinking when it comes to tactics or organisation of the one day side.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For me it starts with Peter Moores - he is the complete opposite of what is required in the modern era of limited overs cricket, a schoolteacher obsessed by stats and blind loyalty.

Thankfully, Alistair Cook was not involved in this omnishambles. I hope he is sufficiently refreshed and inspired to take these battered troops and make them competitive, but it wouldn't surprise me if this toxic performance infects the test side.

The only way back for the one-day side is to appoint an extrovert coach with an aggressive philosophy, to reinstate Pietersen and to pack the side with big hitters like Hales, Wright and Buttler at the top of the order. A team with those guys in the top 6 would - I'm sure - have won at least one match against Bangladesh and the big boys, and therefore made the Quarter-Finals.

If you have the capacity to score 300 plus then it gives the bowlers a bit more leeway as the opposition have to play shots in case they find themselves in a shootout.

This has been an unmitigated disaster, and an altogether predictable one too. I feel sorry for the fans who travelled halfway across the world for this.
I like the sound of that. I'd be inclined to have a separate coach for the limited overs teams. I don't see why we should have one head coach for all the formats.

Fly out a different team for the ODIs if needs be.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think you're a bit off calling Selvey "establishment" he's been a harsh critic of many of the goings-on on English cricket for years - anyone who gets sacked from TMS for mouthing off is scarcely one of the gin-and-tonic brigade.

Calling a KP a "fruit fly" is scarcely a sign of some old buffer - there are plenty of people in the game who have a low opinion of Figjam, I don't seeing that being anti his reinstatement makes you an establishment figure.

And I don't get this business of being mates with Downton - they played together at Middlesex for four years - the last two of which, Selvey was a fringe player. Why not say the same about Downton's predecessor, Hugh Morris, who played with Selvey at Glamorgan? (and BTW, Downton went to Exeter, not Durham).

Selvey wrote a pretty good piece in Saturday's Guardian, laying blame for the WC debacle on the English set-up that places more emphasis on tests than one-dayers: it's scarcely an article that smacks of supporting the establishment. I like reading him: he's one of the few sports writers who tells it as it is

The England timetable was rearranged to give the World Cup priority, which is why fewer tests have been played.

Selvey has always backed Downton and the ECB over KP's sacking, but still, apart from Downton's comment about KP looking disinterested and whistling irreverently, we've heard nothing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here