Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND vs Azerbaijan (official thread)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ernest said:
Not bad , Keep Sven on :clap: :)

For once I'm with you on this Ernest. I think Sven will do well for us!

We've won the game. 3 points. Mind you I'm actually happy that Michael Owen was booked. I would like to play someone else up front with the main man, Rooney, for a change!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
a good job done well.

we had an enormous amount of chances are were simply unlucky- owen looks a little rusty and if his chances had fallen to rooney we would have won by 6.

people need to put things in perspective- azer were playing for pride and had 11 behind the ball, we had to work very hard in a game we couldnt play at our normal high pace and they really rode their luck. the chances they created only happened because we were in such control.

it makes me laugh that people will criticise that perfomance but defend the albions (or certain players) over recent weeks!!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Woody the Seagull said:
the reason we weren't very good tonight (despite controlling the game) was because of our attitude. we just expected to win and (first half especially) tried to walk the ball into the net. that won't do against better sides...

we murdered them, we won and any other night we would have won by more.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Woody the Seagull said:
the reason we weren't very good tonight (despite controlling the game) was because of our attitude. we just expected to win and (first half especially) tried to walk the ball into the net. that won't do against better sides...

I don't think it was a question of attitude - what more could they have done? It's not like there was a lack of running or work-rate; we had the ball about 90% of the time, you've just got to be canny and calm in those situations and hope quality outs. Azerbaijan were never going to collapse twice in two games; they didn't go out to win, just limit the defeat and salvage some pride. We went out there to break them down and did it - I'm quite happy with that, games against better sides will be a totally different matter.

It illustrated what happens when a team of players is lining up for a go at goal, or playing like a pub team - the formation and discipline broke down for most of the game.

Another side could have punished us, but Azerbijian were never going to be good enough.

At the end of the day, there's more to worry about from England than to celebrate, on that performance.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Although we got three points, we didn't seem to have any shape, all the attacks in the first half were exactly the same (down the right and cross into the centre) and no-one in the team could do a decent header.

the right footed denilson said:
a good job done well.

......we were in such control.

it makes me laugh that people will criticise that perfomance but defend the albions (or certain players) over recent weeks!!

Er....horses for courses surely?
Albion are a team of lads overacheiving against quality opposition - that's worthy of defence and plaudits if y'ask me.

When Engerland play against a bunch of no-hopers like that and basically put in a shabby game - what does anyone expect realistically, blindly backslapping every moment?

"you're the greatest, Elvis, have another doughnut"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here